PDA

View Full Version : O2 sensors

duncan
18-01-2005, 01:27 PM
I need to replace a failed front O2 (lambda) sensor, HUK ref 36531PR7J01 quoted cost £255.08 + vat, universal sensors are available, £25 up, say £40 all in. Does anyone know a Nippon Denso, NTK, Bosch equivalent part no. From review of variances in sensors see web site www.lambdasensor.com
Apparently 3 different types of 4 wire sensors exist.
Zirconia "thick film", heater resistance 12-15 ohms, 0.1-0.9v output oscillating;
Titania, heater resistance 4-7 ohms, 0-1v or 0-5v output oscillating;
Lean Burn, heater resistance 12-15 ohms, 0-5v output discrete.
As the check for heater resistance is quoted at between 10-20 ohms, I guess that the Titania is out.
Can anyone advise, my car is a 1995 manual.

BrownBear
18-01-2005, 02:48 PM
Hi Duncan,

I believe these are the OEM sensors (made by ND)

http://www.sparkplugs.com/more_info.asp?AAIA=1000887&pid=1977

blue5
18-01-2005, 08:40 PM
I had an O2 sensor failure and bought one from Gunn Acura in Texas. It took 4 days to arrive and cost £91 landed and taxes paid.

I phoned them and paid by cc.

That was 5 yrs ago but it should not be much more now

If you find a local source let us know

duncan
02-02-2005, 01:11 PM
OEM style replacement supplied by local Partco with next day delivery for £68.00 plus delivery and VAT. Manufacturer was Facet, their part no was 107734, the original sensor was ND ref NS6 065500-9720 03Q.
For the front sensor the tool needed is a 22mm open ended spanner.

stewart
24-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Hi
I just replaced the front O2 sensor with a Fuelparts LB1798 cost £84 plus VAT. from Dingbro Scotland. The original sensor had gone open circuit on the heater coil. The replacement seems to work and the the warning light (Engine Symbol) is extinguished. Strangely the Traction Control light also came on when the front lambda sensor had failed?

The tool for extraction was a modified whitworth open-ended with a grind or two taken from the jaws. I felt that given the tight nature of the sensor a 22mm open spanner felt quite loose, and likely to slip. If you are confident that the sensor is knackered you can, of course, clip the cable and fit a ring spanner to loosen the dead sensor.

It took a little while to puzzle out the release for the 4-pin socket that connects the cable to the wireing harness. You can hear the locking claw "click" back when pressure is applied to the correct part of the plug/socket affair and then the two part company like a dog and bitch dowsed with a bucket of water.

MattS
13-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Ok, here's the lowdown on my O2 sensor problem.

Engine/emissions warning light came on when engine was cold. Would not light if car restarted when warmed up. After a month or two light was on all the time. No change in performance noted.

Took car to Trident Honda. Computer diagnosed a rear right O2 sensor failure. 3.2L cars have 4 different spec sensors - 2 front left and right, 2 rear left and right. Computer gave Error Code (useful) and Honda Part Number required (VV important to make sur you order the right bit!). Trident quoted £400 for the part and fitting.

Did lots of web research. Found that sensor failure is a well known problem, although it is usually the front 2 sensors that go wrong.

Could not source a rear right sided sensor from anywhere in the UK -phoned about 6 different O2 sensor suppliers. Most had the front sensors in stock. Found the sensor I needed at www.automedicsupply.com (under Acura) - you can cross-check the sensor position and the Honda part number on the site to make sure you are ordering the right one.

Ordered the OEM spec sensor - cost with post was about £86 + £27 UK VAT and Parcelforce's 'handling charge'. Arrived after 4 days.

Chickened out of fitting it myself (sensor is very much under the car) and Alan Davies of Trident fitted it for about £42. Computer said that all was well, warning light no longer on.

Total cost about £155 (remember Honda would have charged about £400!!)