PDA

View Full Version : Just got My car back

Steve
16-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Went on hols for 2 weeks, left car with Brindley Honda of Cannock, needed a few things doing, ie Heater, aircon, water pump, C/B change, front ball joints...I could go on but need sleep. I told them to do everything and anything that needed doing. Got a bill for......£7800
5 pages of parts and labour.

I got 5% off the parts and Labour at £50 hour. I know I could have got it done cheaper, but It has full Honda service history, all OEM parts, and the car is now like new. Drives lika dream.

Anyone out there from the Midlands...and if so do you meet up??

TheSebringOne
16-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Great news you got your car back and its running beautifully, but I was shocked by the final bill! :eek: Were you expecting such a scary bill, which was 5 pages long?! When you purchased the car back in July this year, did you know most of these jobs needed doing, if so was this reflected in the price and whats the mileage? :)

Silver Surfer
16-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Well that's negated the bargain price you bought the car with.

SS

TheQuietOne
17-09-2007, 06:31 AM
My God that is a frightening bill.....:eek:

I'm in Redditch so not too far away, and the closest member of the club I'd guess! Let me know if you fancy a mini-meet!

Cheer, Matt.

dan the man
17-09-2007, 07:26 AM
jeeez. for that id want a bloody jazz thrown in for a year

PeteM
17-09-2007, 08:33 AM
I have to ask, what else was done to the car to warrant a £7800 bill :eek:.

Glad the car is now sorted for you but did you know there was something major needed prior to taking it in to Honda ?

bazza
17-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Jesus that's a big bill!!! :(

forumadmin
17-09-2007, 09:02 AM
I have looked through Steve's old posts.

The car was owned by a 73 year old, who pootled about, only in dry weather. The car also has low mileage.

What were the symptoms when driving? Or did you not think anything was wrong, and its the dealer who has come up with a list of things to replace?

I'd ask for all the old bits back too.

Steve
17-09-2007, 09:23 AM
When I purchased the car I knew there were some issues, but it was the car I wanted. The milage is 55,000

Here is the breakdown of what was done

Replaced o/s & n/s Hub assembleys inc track rod ends, abs cable all ass corosion resistant Bolts & nuts.
Replaced cambelt and alternator aux belt, also replaced split cambelt cover cover auto tensioners and all ass gaskets.
Replaced heater control unit.
Replace fuel flap spring
Replace fuse box clip
Replace sump & all ass gaskets
Replace leaking water pump.
Replace o/s/f wheel bearing and allass corrosion res nuts/bolts
Refixed all heat shields.
Air con service and re-gas.

£7914.23 inc vat

The previous owner had the car for around 4 years but did not use it that often (73 years old) I paid £24000 he paid me back £3000. I can claim the vat back, so upto date the car has cost me £27735. If I also take into account £3k win on lottery day I bought it then £24735.

For me it has been worth it. Never been interested in working on cars, for me they are for driving...thats why god created mechanics.

The FHSH will be handy if I ever sell the car (can't see why!!!)

Can you guys tell me if you feel that what I have paid is fair?

dan the man
17-09-2007, 09:42 AM
i think it is over priced. ok it is a supercar but not a LAMBO OR FEZZA.

suppose it all takes time. hubs dont come cheap and all the rest but still a hell of a lot of money.

NSX 2000
17-09-2007, 09:45 AM
FWIW I think the bill sounds about right, we all seem to forget sometimes how much NSX parts are from Honda dealers. Just my 2p worth.
Paul

dan the man
17-09-2007, 09:49 AM
FWIW I think the bill sounds about right, we all seem to forget sometimes how much NSX parts are from Honda dealers. Just my 2p worth.
Paul

yup prob true.. no harm in haggling tho..as they do make a lot of% on them

simonprelude
17-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Bill sounds about right, scary though.

Surely a lot of bits could have been bought 2nd hand from the likes of Dirk etc.

But to have piece of mind I guess it's worth it, especially as the previous owner seems to have paid nearly half for you :)

Mr_Spanners
17-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Replace sump & all ass gaskets

Think I'd need my ass gasket replacing if I'd just shelled out nearly 8k on repairs!!!!! :eek:

Still, the price sounds about right for dealer rates and prices. As many have said you might have been able to get some parts second hand and also haggled a little harder on the labour costs but at least you now know your 'X' is in tip-top condition and should provide you with a good few years of cheap(ish) running costs!!!

NSXGB
17-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Probably is about right, but a little shrewdness using info on this site could have put a massive dent in that bill without a doubt.

Steve
17-09-2007, 12:12 PM
I know I could have shopped around and I know I could have got it done cheaper with some used parts, and yes I could have got all you guys to help, but I bought the car to drive it like it should be driven and considering it is approx 20 years old and is still capable of approx 160mph and not being the most mechanically minded person in the world I took what I consider to be the safest option for me. I do not have loads of money but the whole thing came within the budget that I had, so am happy.

I will though be asking for advice on any future work that needs doing (hopefully not for a while)

Matt lets get a mini meet together as soon as...

dan the man
17-09-2007, 12:35 PM
yes true its only money, life is short so bollox to it and enjoy what u can

TheQuietOne
17-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Matt lets get a mini meet together as soon as...

Cool - James was threatening to come up in his LBB soon so maybe we could make it a whopping 3 cars! Would be nice while the weather is still OK! I'll PM you my number.

TheSebringOne
17-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Still taken back by the total bill cost! But hey, you now got a 100% or near that, piece of mind! I hope you get plenty of years of great enjoyment from of your P & J! Happy driving. :thumbsup:

PS. Being curious, how many labour hours were on the bill?

Steve
18-09-2007, 06:36 PM
I'll check tomorrow when i am back at work

Steve
19-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Looking at the bill it looks like around 30 hours labour. They said about 4 days to do the work and they did it for £50 hour instead of the usual £75

TheSebringOne
19-09-2007, 10:49 PM
30 hours does seem excessive, but I'm no real mechanic! Atleast they reduced the hourly rate by a third, which softens the bill. What you saved can go on some lovely 95+ RON! :)