PDA

View Full Version : Guinea pig wanted

Kevin
13-01-2005, 09:39 AM
I've just ordered a polisher, mops and compound pastes/polishes.

Anyone want to bring their NSX round for a buff, and let me practice before I do mine?
:D

BrownBear
13-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Not me !

My sister bought me a offset rotary polisher for Christmas - I plugged it in and once I'd turned it on, thought 'no way is that going anywhere near my car'. It's scary.

I might try it on the Focus though, since that is suffering from Ladies Car Cleaning syndrome..

What type of polisher did you get, Kevin?

trackdemon
13-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Which part of the country do you hail from Kevin?

Kevin
13-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Ha ha, this isn't a DIY polishing jobbie. This is a 1100W thing that looks like an angle grinder. Like body shops use.

Actually I got it more for polishing out fibreglass moulds, and the CF parts that I'll be making.

Trackdemon - I'm in Welwyn, Herts.

BrownBear
13-01-2005, 05:21 PM
This is a 1100W thing that looks like an angle grinder.

You're not selling the idea to me.. :lol:

lotusolly
13-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Just a word of warning as I used to work in a bodyshop for a while.

If you are going to use proffesional machine polishes and compounds then get plenty of practice on items your not to worried about or even ask a local bodyshop if you can have an old bonnet from their skip.
Its very easy to polish right through your paint to the primer if your not used to it

olly

Kevin
13-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Like I said, its more for polishing fibreglass gel coat. Everyone's NSX is already far too shiny too need a compound cut.

Olly, will it cut back 'orange peel' paint? or do I sand it back first? I have some wet and dry up to 3000 grit, which I have used when doing touch up paint jobs with a brush.

lotusolly
13-01-2005, 06:52 PM
Hi Kevin,

Just polishing orange peel will improve it but you will get a better finish by sanding first.

Olly

trackdemon
13-01-2005, 07:00 PM
I quite fancied getting one of these babies myself, the idea being it'll take some of the elbow grease out of polishing the car, and probably give a better finish to boot. Kevin, Welwyn isn't a million miles from me (I'm nr Brentwood, Essex) so may be interested to come and have a bash at polishing my baby. Would be worthwhile just to see another NSX if nothing else (When was the last time you saw one on the road without it being pre-arranged?!)

jaws
14-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Blimey,trackdemon, you're inviting a complete stranger to come round and use an angle-grinder to polish your infant and then after that you're going to let them look at your car?? The first bit I can understand, but go steady if they go all twitchy and wild-eyed near the NSX! :lol:

Kevin
16-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Don't worry, I think even if 'demon wanted me to, I wouldn't go near someone's elses car with power tools!