PDA

View Full Version : Bedford 5th Feb

trackdemon
11-01-2005, 01:15 PM
Blimey, Bedford has just double in popularity! I'll be there on February 5th with www.easytrack.co.uk, but in the Cooper S - would be nice to see one of you guys there! NSX will be tracked at some point this year, just need new rear discs and pads.

Paul
11-01-2005, 08:33 PM
Never having tracked any car, let alone my NSX, I have voted for Bedford.

Silverstone would be my personal second choice as it too has good run off areas.

However, I'm keen to track the NSX at least once this year and will likely attend any event I can get to regardless of it being a 'novice friendly' circuit or not. If it's not a 'novice friendly' circuit I'll just have to take it a bit easy.

Need to get the cam belt done soon so will be unlikely to track it before getting that done. I intend on doing that later this month, or early in February. I'm away for a week in mid February, but I might try and pop along to Bedford on February 5th. But, probably not to track the car. Unless I can get the cam belt done in time and book a place in time having got that done.

ctrlaltdelboy
11-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Paul - if you can make it to Bedford on the 5th then do so - I'm sure Kevin will be happy to take you out for a session to show you how it's done - after that you'll know for sure one way or the other whether you'll be taking your own NSX on the track :wink:

Paul
11-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Ah, a trip on open tarmac in an NSX with a non novice behind the wheel ... that would be an excellent idea.

I expect my laptimes would be about 25% slower than Kevin's ... even with a few laps under my belt. But, you gotta start somewhere. Will have to get my cam belt sorted before I hit the track though. Best get my discs and pads checked too, tyres should be ok though.

Kevin
11-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Paul - if you can make it to Bedford on the 5th then do so

I'm not there. Trackdemon is. I'm going to Donington on the 6th Feb.

And please, no bigging me up, I'm nothing special....really.

Paul
11-01-2005, 09:51 PM
And please, no bigging me up, I'm nothing special....really. Maybe you are ... maybe you aren't ... but it'll be my first time ... :!:

trackdemon
12-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Was excited there for a second, thought we may have an NSXer on the 5th. No matter, I'll definately be there, probably in the Cooper S but possibly in the NSX if I get time to get the brakes sorted before then. If you do want to pop along to spectate give the boys at Easytrack a call first. I'll be in an Electric blue MCS or red NSX.

cheers,
Steve

Paul
12-01-2005, 04:13 PM
Steve
I'll do my best to get there as I'd like an outing at somewhere like Bedford before taking to a track proper.
But, I'd need to check up and see just what requirements I'd need to meet to track the car, asides from sorting my insurance. I have no overalls, crash helmet, etc. So, would need to be able to hire them, or buy some before I get there if I'm to track the car.
If I can't get the car prepared so that I feel happy about tracking her, what would I need to do to turn up and spectate?
At worst I'd be a spectator arriving in the NSX, but an outing on the tarmac is what I'd prefer to do.
Any thoughts on tips for me getting the car prepped to track :?:
She needs a cam belt change, so unless I can get that done in time, she won't appear on tre track, but just in the spectators area. I'll get the brakes checked, discs and pads, when she goes in for a cam belt and if they're more than half worn I'll have them done too. Got an NSX mechanic at Honda Reading, so will be using them.

Kevin
12-01-2005, 05:32 PM
I have just moved this discussion about the 5th Feb, to a new thread. Nothing has been deleted, just trying to keep one discussion about an 'official NSXCB' track day in one place.

Hope that's alright with everyone. Now I can answer some of Paul's questions without worrying about going off topic.

Kevin
12-01-2005, 05:55 PM
I have no overalls, crash helmet, etc. So, would need to be able to hire them, or buy some before I get there if I'm to track the car.

You don't need overalls for track days. Just make sure arms and legs are covered (not a prob in Winter). Helmets are usually available for hire or free from the organiser. Check with Easytrack for this occasion. Helmets costs as little as £40 if you want to buy one from somewhere.

If I can't get the car prepared so that I feel happy about tracking her, what would I need to do to turn up and spectate?

Just that. Turn up and spectate. For last few days with RMA, they haven't been using the main pit area. So spectating is free, and you can wander around the paddock. Passengers are usually charged at £25, on RMA days anyway. I don't know what the arrangement for 5th Feb will be though.

Any thoughts on tips for me getting the car prepped to track :?:

Aside from the things you mention there not much else.

It's nice to have new pads, to make sure you don't finish them. However they should also have 200 miles on them before thrashing them on a track. About pad wear. Different people will have different experiences with this. I can't predict what will happen to you, but having a freshish set will keep you out of trouble. You can of course use harder racing pads. You may find these work better, but they can also wear out discs faster. They also may be worse, if you don't get them up to temp.

Brake fluid should be bled through. I use Castrol Super Dot 4, and find its fine. My temp readings prove it gets nowhere near its boiling point. I've never had fluid boil.

I've used discs that were below the service limit on the track. They were fine. There's also seems little point in putting on brand new ones, if there's a chance of warping them! Wait until you see how much they cost!

Tyres same again. Half worn should be OK. Brand new is again not good. Also tyre pressure should be checked. The standard pressures are too high for the track. Lower the rear especially to around 35 cold, front 33.

I always have fresh oil. That's becuase I change the oil after each track day.

That's about it. It's what works for me, and what works for me may not work for someone else.

If you can't get to Bedford for the 5th, remember I am going to Donington on the 6th.

Paul
12-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Tyres same again. Half worn should be OK. Brand new is again not good. Also tyre pressure should be checked. The standard pressures are too high for the track. Lower the rear especially to around 35 cold, front 33. Bearing in mind I have 17" on the front and 18" on the back, how can I find out what the pressures should be? They feel reasonable enough to me. But, I have only ever driven mine as it is, so I have no point of reference.

If you can't get to Bedford for the 5th, remember I am going to Donington on the 6th.Will do, although it's a long old drive to get there from my place.

Cheers for the info Kevin.

Kevin
12-01-2005, 10:01 PM
I have OEM sizes, and so do the tracksters I know. Best thing to do is start at your normal pressure, and lower it something like 2psi at a time and see if your happier.

How often do you think you will want to track the car anyway? Usually it only takes once go, and you'll be hooked!

Paul
13-01-2005, 10:52 PM
My main reason for wanting to track her is that I can find out what she is capable of through bends.

Sure, I can point her in a straight line and know that if I have the road space she'll do over 160mph, but you can't legally hit the straightline limit on a road in this country.

I'm sure I could take her round bends quicker than I do at present, but I'd prefer to find out when she'd let go in an environment where all I'll do is get her a bit muddy instead of wrapping her round a tree, or imbedding her in the side of an oncoming lorry.

After all, it's the ability to get through corners quickly that puts the biggest smile on my face when I'm nipping along a quiet open road on a sunny afternoon. Anyone can go fast in a straight line.

blue5
17-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Its full! DOH!

Paul
17-01-2005, 09:03 PM
Its full! DOH! Double Doh!
In that case, I guess if I do go, it'll just be to spectate :-(
I suppose on the up side, I won't have to rush around getting the cam belt and brake fluid sorted along with a check of the pads and discs.
Plus the weather might be better later in the year.

Paul
21-01-2005, 07:46 PM
Argh!

I can't even go as a spectator now ... something's come up and I'm now not going to be free on the 5th.

Kevin, I might still be free on the 6th though and if I can I might follow you up. What time are you thinking of leaving Herts for Donnington?

Kevin
25-01-2005, 04:24 PM
Well it looks like being a couple of hours drive, so I guess I'll head off at 6am.

Paul
25-01-2005, 06:05 PM
Sounds fair enough Kevin ... if I am going to go, I'll post so in this thread no later than 10pm on Friday 4th and if I do decide to go I might try and meet up with you to follow you up ... sound ok to you :?:

BabyNSX
29-01-2005, 12:24 AM
Whats the Palmersport policy on spectators? and photography?

It's been a few years since I've been there