PDA

View Full Version : 21st May 2005 - Japfest - Castle Combe

BrownBear
10-01-2005, 02:51 PM
How about a repeat of the last years trip to Castle Combe but with some track time?(@ £23 per session)

Entry Discounted to £7 per car (with club-passes similar to the SantaPod meeting, but this time you get some money off the gate entry)

Details here

http://www.japfest.co.uk/

An idea of numbers for this would be good, so I can arrange the passes.

Kevin
10-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Mmm, is this one of those pay a few pounds to get a few laps type of thing?

When you see how those days pan out, I doubt anyone here will be putting their pride and joy on the track. The meeting itself should be OK.

I went to one many years ago (in MR2), and Darren went a couple of years ago, instead of our Donington meet.

ctrlaltdelboy
10-01-2005, 09:11 PM
when I went last (2003) my NSX was off the road and I took the Prelude. I had free club entry and free track time. Sadly my initial perception of the drivers and the cars that were turning up were such that I (in my mind) labelled them as a bunch of boy racers that I would not want to share a track with. I donated my 2 free sessions to someone else.
During the day my initial concerns were confirmed by more than a few drivers (but still the minority - as always) who had no clue whatsoever, with lots of spins, off tarmac excursions and near misses as well as a few collissions with less fortunate participants and armco. I was feeling very relieved not to have gone out there, but I would say that during the first 2 or 3 sessions in the morning things were fine and I with hindsight I could have gone out then without any concerns. I think this is mainly down to the fact that the first few sessions were almost exclusively filled with free passholders from the owners clubs as opposed to the 'arrive-and-drive' sessions for £30 a pop filled with hapless joe publics (...er I don't mean you Joe, I mean.... I think you know what I mean :wink: )

in addition I think that the poor driving that this event was becoming known for during 200-2003 has been identified and addressed by the organisers - I do not know the details of how, but I did hear this somewhere along the grapevine.

Maybe things will be better than when I went now?

BrownBear
11-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Actually, hapless-Joe does pretty much cover it :lol:

OK, so maybe we won't be risking our gleaming pride and joys with someone who just has to prove that he overtook an NSX once (while taking you off).

Still, it'll be a day out - I'll bring my camera for the offs :)

PS: Everyone else, feel free to suggest other venues/locations/dates etc

Kevin
11-01-2005, 09:24 AM
I think the problem on the track comes about by;

Sessions being 20 mins long, so people try a do a blazing lap
Lots of spectators to try and impress
Other cars to try and impress

ctrlaltdelboy
11-01-2005, 06:40 PM
I agree Kevin that those 3 factors are bound to have the effect that you have stated irrespective if anything that the organisers try and do about it (well, with the exception of extending the session time, but then there are commercial considerations that would likely see this not happen).

I don't think that these factors could be removed from an event like this, as they are part and parcel - without them the event would be something else entirely.

I'm thinking that with the possible exception of getting on track in the first session or two, this should be considered a show'n'shine event with on track entertainment provided :)

p.s. I just remembered, the Norris Designs 800BHP Evo was heavily stuffed when I went in 2003 - definately looked like a write-off when they brought it in on the low loader, anyone know any more on this?

Paul
11-01-2005, 08:59 PM
The sound of Darren's idea of a "show'n'shine" event seems almost quite apt as the driving sounds like ti could be a bit hairy for a novice like me.

As it's a Saturday I could probably make the trip easy enough, so will do my best to get there, so long as it doesn't clash with anything else I'm due to do.

If the weather is good I would enjoy wandering around a largish event to see other cars and meet some NSX owners.

BrownBear
12-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Any interest in this? - please let me know, I think we have to arrange this pretty soon..

Thanks
Joe

orangerocket99
12-03-2005, 05:27 PM
Hi Joe

We would both like to come along, and perhaps a meeting point for a drive up as well ??? :lol:

Orangerocket
Russ

BrownBear
22-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Sorry, think we definitely missed the boat on this one..

Apologies guys, there was no car-club space last month (it gets booked up early), so although we'll still be able to go along, we don't get a space for parking and have to park in the general area - will try to organise things better next time round.. :(

imvarma
04-05-2005, 08:17 AM
Sorry if im not allowed to post this up
there is one unclaimed stand space with Tatsu Car Club (Japanese Performance Cars Only) So if any one wanted to get there car on show at this event see here http://www.tatsu.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=780&start=78

imvarma
04-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Two Spaces Available Now :?
Anyone here going :?:
:)

EDIT: All Gone! :( Combe Needs more space :!: