PDA

View Full Version : 16" Front tyres

trackdemon
10-01-2005, 11:01 AM
My front tyres are due for renewal and I headed down to my usual refitter on the weekend to replace, wanted Pilot Sports as thats what it came with and what I'd just fitted on the rear a month ago. "Sorry sir, we don't do that size, neither can we order them". Bugger.

So, does anyone have a recommendation on what to fit in 215/45ZR16? I'm loath to change the size or profile (I can get 205/50 or 225/45) as I don't want to compromise the handling in any way - if thats the way the factory boy's have it setup, I for one am not going to argue!

I'll be using http://www.elite-design.co.uk/tyres.html, and am running Pilot Sports on the back.

Cheers!

Kevin
10-01-2005, 12:40 PM
But if you not going to argue with the factory, why aren't you using the A022's or RE040's?

You have already changed from what the factory spec'd.

trackdemon
10-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Bl00dy pedant :roll: :D :wink:

I'd retort that whilst tyre technology has moved on in terms of compound / tread modelling etc. there is nothing TO move on in terms of tyre size. Besides, if I was that concerned about factory specs I would have retained the aggressive rear toe when I had the alignment done!

I guess what I'm looking for is a recommendation of a suitable tyre, if any of the collective can advise that going to (for example) 225/45ZR16 doesn't upset the balance then I'll be happy to go with that.

DamianW
10-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Apart from a supply problem whats wrong with A022s? I think the cars handling balance is pretty good out of the box.

As to supply, there seemed to be front A022s available when I was looking, it was just rears they didn't have.

Kevin
10-01-2005, 05:32 PM
OK, I wasn't being totally serious about the tyres etc earlier, hope you're not offended.

I went from A022 in standard 15/16 sizes, to S03 on 16/17 wheels, and 225 front 255 rear. On the track (which is the only place that matters to me) the difference in grip was huge.

I can say there is no detrimental effect in using 225FR and 255 rear. Tirerack.com seem to rate the GoodYear F1 GS something or other. They are available in NSX sizes. If you think there isn't much available, the new 17" front wheel is even worse to find tyres for!

Damien, by all means use the A022 if you like, but there is a difference, especially in wet performance, in new tyres like S03. On the track A022 feel like mush compared to newer tyres.

I had a day where I swapped from one set of wheels to another with different sizes and tyres, so I have tried them back to back as it were.

Just a point about the rear toe. My dealer (NSX mechanic since they came out), said the original spec of 6mm toe in was a mistake. Someone at Honda took the 6mm total toe, and printed it in the manual as 6mm per wheel. He said that on the very first NSX course he went on (before the car was even out), he was told this was wrong and only to set the rear toe to 3mm per wheel. It was in the next edition of the manual that is was corrected in print. However everyone has seen the 6mm setting and thinks that's what is should be. I can't confirm this one way or another, just what I was told, by my NSX mechanic and dealership that I have been going to for 5 years.

Paul
10-01-2005, 10:40 PM
Just a point about the rear toe. My dealer (NSX mechanic since they came out), said the original spec of 6mm toe in was a mistake. Someone at Honda took the 6mm total toe, and printed it in the manual as 6mm per wheel. He said that on the very first NSX course he went on (before the car was even out), he was told this was wrong and only to set the rear toe to 3mm per wheel. It was in the next edition of the manual that is was corrected in print. However everyone has seen the 6mm setting and thinks that's what is should be. I can't confirm this one way or another, just what I was told, by my NSX mechanic and dealership that I have been going to for 5 years. Any idea on how much difference a change of 3mm of toe on the rears would make? I'll be putting my baby in the garage soon, but will be taking it back and fourth to various places to get the audio etc sorted. I'd like to track it at least once this yaer (never been to date) and would obviously want to make sure everything on her is spot on when I do.

Kevin
11-01-2005, 06:02 PM
I can't answer that, as I haven't done it.

The thing about setting a car up for the track is that the numbers become irrelevant. No-one can say that a particular setting will be best. Yes the factory settings are a starting point, especially if you don't plan to track it much.

It all comes down to feel and performance. I've been advised to keep playing with settings until I'm happy. Yes I need to measure things as I go on, to make sure left and right sides are done equally, and know what changes I have made.