PDA

View Full Version : Bubbling paint update

Sebringbug
16-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Hi

Re the bubbling paint on my rear wheel arches. Have now had a response from Honda,indicating no liability but as a gesture of goodwill £200 towards having repairs done.

My view is that as they are adamant it's not anything other than none repaired stone chips and to do a good repair I will need both rear wings resrayed(with all the likely problems of bodyshops...mismatched paint ...overspray ...drips etc) I'm better off leaving it. They are very small areas only and if Honda are right they shouldn't get too much worse.

Whyone....did you get anywhere with yours?

Any views welcolme

simonprelude
16-08-2007, 10:35 AM
I am looking at getting the leading edge of the front wings resprayed due to a similar issue, after having some paintwork correction redone last year I would be happy having further work done.

The issue does appear to be getting worse so I would look to get this done, the oxidisation is not as bad as with steel, however I would still not let it go untreated.

TheQuietOne
16-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Mine hasn't gotten any worse on the front area - same place as Simon's, if I ever reduce mine to a garage queen I will have the body shop that did James' do a full frontal respray on mine - his looked better than OEM in my opinion! Whilst she is used daily and the stone chips are a reality I don't see the point, I'd rather spend my money filling up with fuel and enjoying the ride!

Thanks for the update though - I think your choice is the best...unless you can get your car to Taunton (PM Papalazarou if so!).

Regards, M@

WhyOne?
28-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Whyone....did you get anywhere with yours?

A timely question - Y1 went into my local friendly Honda dealer at the end of July - pictures were taken and a claim submitted on my behalf.............then I buggered off on holiday for 3 weeks!!!!!

I got back in the UK today, and am in work tomorrow - 'phoning the service manager to see how Honda reacted is high on my list of 'to-do's'.

So, hopefully more news this time tomorrow - watch this space!

WhyOne?
29-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Hmmmmm - less than great news - Honda rejected the claim on the basis that the car is (just - 6 months) outside the standard corrosion warranty.

Did you approach Honda directly or through a franchised dealer service department?

TheQuietOne
29-08-2007, 09:47 AM
That's pretty poor in my opinion maybe we should start a petition!!

WhyOne?
29-08-2007, 10:16 AM
I do agree and whilst in the case of Y1 it is an extremely minor blemish (most would struggle to spot it) I would be happy to add my voice to any petition.

dan the man
30-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Hmm im gona check my car over as it should be half stripped now at the bodyshop..mioght aswell get otherbits done.

TheQuietOne
30-08-2007, 11:23 PM
I do agree and whilst in the case of Y1 it is an extremely minor blemish (most would struggle to spot it) I would be happy to add my voice to any petition.

X626's blemish is also small, in fact you need a microscope and a map to find it! :D

I have a feeling that 10 names on a bit of paper would be somewhat laughed at by Honda - however it is a slight blot on the otherwise spotless ownership experience of the NSX it would appear!

TheSebringOne
31-08-2007, 12:59 PM
DTM, when will your P & J grace the Queen's Highway again? Did you get your rear lights from that visiting American? Don't forget to enquire about Zorst Tips too pal! :)

dan the man
31-08-2007, 07:30 PM
all going to plan James.

Cars at the bodyshop as we speak, lights get picked up tomorrow for me by Paul and then when cars done and fitted with the lights ill go see about the tips.. oh hopefully win the lotto . ;)

TheSebringOne
31-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Would be great to catch up over a mini meet pal, after you've lavished her with some TLC, thats the car & not your lovely lady! ;)

dan the man
01-09-2007, 07:36 AM
Lovely ladies had enough spent on her..now for the car :D

Sebringbug
03-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Hmmmmm - less than great news - Honda rejected the claim on the basis that the car is (just - 6 months) outside the standard corrosion warranty.

Did you approach Honda directly or through a franchised dealer service department?

Sorry WhyOne been away myself....

I went thru Honda dealership...it was them who said go direct to Honda UK when they rejected the claim.....

Well further update today...having taken it to approved Honda bodyshop the guy there without any prompting piped up "that's corrosion...no way that's water under the paint.....the fact that it's the same on both sides must be a design problem with the arch liners" Hmmmmmmmmmmm seems Honda UK and I have futher discussions

WhyOne?
03-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Sorry WhyOne been away myself....

I went thru Honda dealership...it was them who said go direct to Honda UK when they rejected the claim.....

OK - thanks for that.

So basically the same story as me - though you are furhter down the line - your dealership submitted a claim to Honda, they rejected it, so you then went direct to Honda UK?? I am in the process of writing a letter to Honda Uk - might I ask the name/address you used to approach Honda UK please?(PM me if you dont want to post it publically).

Many thanks and good luck with your battle. I'll update here as and when I have any more news.

:)

dan the man
03-09-2007, 08:11 PM
all the old Hondas are the same, DC2s had the same rear arch strips which held dirt and the rear arches bubbled, loads are and were done on warranty.

Sebringbug
05-09-2007, 12:47 PM
OK - thanks for that.

So basically the same story as me - though you are furhter down the line - your dealership submitted a claim to Honda, they rejected it, so you then went direct to Honda UK?? I am in the process of writing a letter to Honda Uk - might I ask the name/address you used to approach Honda UK please?(PM me if you dont want to post it publically).

Many thanks and good luck with your battle. I'll update here as and when I have any more news.

:)I'm now in less friendly correspondence with a customer service advisor at HUK called Steve Fitzpatrick...just had the etimate for just over a £1000 !!!

WhyOne?
05-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Oh my word!!!!

So what doe that £1k do for the car????????

I have just sent a letter to a chap in Honda UK customer relations....cant remember what it is off-hand, but it wasn't your man.

More when I know it!

Sebringbug
05-09-2007, 04:46 PM
£1k does nothing for the car....except it could be argued make it less authentic.....Both rear panels need resrays to get match...no way will I spend that but after what i'm reading about road salt and aluminium Honda uk better get ready for a battle cus I'm about to get all anal on them. There's quite alot of stuff about ali bodies and road salt...water traps etc..

Hey at least when THEY do it I'll have lots to prove my p&j has not been rear ended:D

Papalazarou
05-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Hey at least when THEY do it I'll have lots to prove my p&j has not been rear ended:D

Just curious about paint on other colours.

My last car was red and had the tinted clearcoat, so if you were using say 'autoglym polish' which has a bit of cut in it, the rag turned red.

My current car is LBB and when I started to prepare it I had the same results but obviously blue this time. At some point my current car had some paint on one of the rear wings because when I polished this panel, there was no blue clearcoat migration.

I was wondering whether if you polished a silver NSX with say a black cloth whether you'd end up with silver clearcoat on the rag?

Has anyone tried this?

Cheers,

James.

WhyOne?
18-10-2007, 10:08 AM
RESULT!

I have just had a call from the service manager at the Honda dealership I use and he has been authorised by Honda Customer Relations to do what was necessary to fix my little paint bubbles!

Rob_Fenn
18-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Congratulations!

AR
18-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Honda should be kissing our arses. With the amount of money we pay them and all the free publicity and extra sales we bing to them.

All in all I am very skeptical of HUK.

Cheers,

AR

WhyOne?
18-10-2007, 01:13 PM
With the amount of money we pay them and all the free publicity and extra sales we bing to them.

This was one of the major 'strings' of the letter I wrote to Honda UK.

TheSebringOne
18-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Whyone, can you show us the actual bit thats being repainted by HUK?

WhyOne?
19-10-2007, 08:04 AM
I'll take a couple of piccies (I was going to do this anyway for the cars history file) and post them here.

But basically, there is a small area of paint bubbling on the bonnet around the drivers side windscreen washer nozzle.

The bonnet is going to be removed from the car and re-sprayed (after the affected area has been cleaned up and re-finished of course).

WhyOne?
03-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Somewhat delayed, but here is a picture which shows the corrosion around Y1's drivers-side winscreen washer nozzle.

I am taking Y1 for the corrosion to be sorted and the bonnet resprayed next weekend. (Thank-you very much Honda UK :) )

TheSebringOne
03-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Yone, I'm very shocked to see that around the jet spray nozzles! Especially with Honda's general excellant build quality! Is this the only part of the car that has some corrosion? Surely this is a rare thing on an NSX?

dan the man
03-11-2007, 08:50 PM
thats worse than thought it was going to be actually. I hope they do a good job.

DONT SETTLE FOR ANYTHING other than bang on.

WhyOne?
03-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Is this the only part of the car that has some corrosion?

Absolutely - there is nothing like regularly waxing a car to get to know its every detail.

WhyOne?
03-11-2007, 09:48 PM
DONT SETTLE FOR ANYTHING other than bang on.

I won't.

But I have every confidence in the paint shop - they did work on my S2000 and my wifes Stream. Both silver cars (a notoriously difficult colour to match) and both were perfect - I am damned with an eye for detail, and I couldn'd find fault with the work. Many years ago, I took my Prelude (silver again!) back to the (different) Honda approved paint shop 6 times before I was satisfied!

WhyOne?
15-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Well, it has taken some persistence and a little time, but my bubbling paint problem has been sorted at Honda's expense to an extremely high standard by Geo Collins Honda in Herstmoceaux, W. Sussex.

The bonnet and headlight covers have been resprayed and even I, damned with my eye for detail, cannot fault either the finish or colour match.

The photo's below show (after a Zymol HD Clense / Zymol Japon session this morning) the previously offending area around the washer jet (there is also a tiny snow flake on the first picture!) , and also a general shot showing the resprayed bonnet and one headlamp cover and the original paint wing / nose-cone.

So, all in all, I'm dead chuffed!