PDA

View Full Version : Sourcing OEM Wheels

Button
12-08-2007, 02:21 PM
I've been looking for either '1994-2001' or '2002-2004' replacement wheels and have found the attached website in the US

www.wheelsrims.net/acura-nsx-inventory.html?campaign=autoguide

Asahi seem to be a large Japanese wheel manufacturer who supply OEM wheels to most Japanese car manufactureres.

Has anyone tried to source these wheels from the US, as prices seem to be very cheap?

amo
12-08-2007, 02:37 PM
hello and welcome, first name jenson lol

ok
well might be cheap but dilivery will cost u a hell of a lot
so id look here imo

thx amo

AR
12-08-2007, 02:38 PM
As far as I know those are cast knock offs!

TheQuietOne
12-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Interesting and hello!

An intro perhaps - you aren't a million miles from me, and always nice to find a localish owner?!

TheQuietOne
12-08-2007, 02:50 PM
I tell you what I'm very interested and going to post on Prime, just put all the details in and I could have a set of Zanardi wheels delivered to my customer in the states for £484 all in!

Ary, what are the implications for them being cast copies, excuse my ignorance!?

simonprelude
12-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Cast wheels are not as strong as forged :(

sportyking
12-08-2007, 05:29 PM
AR, what makes you say as far as you know, they are knock offs, inside info?

Seems odd the supplier to Honda would make knock offs of its own wheels and if they are chinese copies I doubt the organisation would survive long in Yank land. Maybe the guys at Prime have knowledge of this company? Best bet would be to get someone from Prime to buy one, inspect it and do a weight and stampings check against a known good one. In fact I will have a think about doing it myself.

Forged wheels are generally lighter than a cast wheel of similar strength rather than being made significantly stronger as weight is everything in the world of high performance wheels.
Because of this a design for a forged wheel may not even be safe to copy as a cast wheel.

AR
12-08-2007, 05:52 PM
The fact that they are not BBS who is the maker of the 2002 + NSX wheels.

NSX OEM wheels are forged.

Can anyone really believe them prices???

TheQuietOne
12-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Hi Ritchie,

Well if you have the $'s to do the test, I have a contact in the States you could have one shipped to - who could then send them on for very little. I went through the checkout process for a full set of the BBS Zanardi look-alikes, and for all four is was just $51 to a US Zip code - so wouldn't be much of a risk!

If I weren't so skint and having to have my cambelt service this month I would have a punt on one I think!

Cheers for the info guys, I really need to learn more!

P.S. AFAIK the 16/17's on my X are cast aren't they?!

AR
12-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi Ritchie,

P.S. AFAIK the 16/17's on my X are cast aren't they?!

I am pretty sure that they are forged. In fact I believe one of the reason the NSX wheels are so light is that they are forged.

Cheers,

AR

Kevin
12-08-2007, 07:47 PM
The 2002 wheels are not made by BBS. Well not exactly. Washibeam in Japan makes them, they are a Japanese partner to BBS.

Taken from quote by BBS America about the BBS financial problems;

All of the BBS road wheels from Germany are made from cast aluminum and they have a variety of unique processes that allows them to build special one piece and two piece wheels for aftermarket and OEM customers. More than 70% of BBS's product is produced for the OEM market.

BBS has been around for over 35 years and has always been the technology leader in this business. Developing new processes and engineering products to compete in F1, does come at a price. Some companies will just steal a design and take it to market, not a lot of investment needed to copy or follow... it takes a much larger commitment to lead.

Second, All of the forged BBS wheels (RSGT, LM, RGR, RE, RVF and RGF) are produced in Japan by Washi Beam, a long time partner company to BBS Germany. Washi Beam produces die-forged wheels for Subaru, Mitsubishi, Aston Martin, Bentley, Lexus, Mazda and a few others as original equipment. They also produce the forgings used to produce F1, Indy, ALMS and other BBS racing wheels for programs around the world. Washi Beam is 100% independent of BBS Germany and Washi Beam is not involved in ANY bank or financial related issues. BBS Germany and Washi Beam started working together back in 1983... Remember the original 3 piece RS wheel? Washi Beam produced all of the die-forged wheel centers for these wheels.

I don't know if the older wheels are forged or not, but I'm sure I've seen Asahi written on some. If you read the NSX-R propaganda they say the wheels are co-developed by BBS, not made by them.

Maybe these wheels are cheap because as Honda no longer make the NSX, the manufacturers of the wheels are able to sell them direct, and not through Honda with their mark ups?

dan the man
12-08-2007, 08:10 PM
I thought all NSX wheels were forged OEM.

Lankstarr
12-08-2007, 08:16 PM
I've been looking for either '1994-2001' or '2002-2004' replacement wheels and have found the attached website in the US

www.wheelsrims.net/acura-nsx-inventory.html?campaign=autoguide

Asahi seem to be a large Japanese wheel manufacturer who supply OEM wheels to most Japanese car manufactureres.

Has anyone tried to source these wheels from the US, as prices seem to be very cheap?

Looks like a truely great find. I just paid nearly £300 just to have mine refurbed!

I hope they come off for you if you decidde to try them out.

L*

TheQuietOne
12-08-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm 99% sure I read that one of the features of the 17/17 combo on the face-lift cars was that they were forged. Surely if the 16/17's were forged it wouldn't be highlighted as new feature would it?

AR
12-08-2007, 09:24 PM
The 2002 wheels are not made by BBS. Well not exactly. Washibeam in Japan makes them, they are a Japanese partner to BBS.

Taken from quote by BBS America about the BBS financial problems;

All of the BBS road wheels from Germany are made from cast aluminum and they have a variety of unique processes that allows them to build special one piece and two piece wheels for aftermarket and OEM customers. More than 70% of BBS's product is produced for the OEM market.

BBS has been around for over 35 years and has always been the technology leader in this business. Developing new processes and engineering products to compete in F1, does come at a price. Some companies will just steal a design and take it to market, not a lot of investment needed to copy or follow... it takes a much larger commitment to lead.

Second, All of the forged BBS wheels (RSGT, LM, RGR, RE, RVF and RGF) are produced in Japan by Washi Beam, a long time partner company to BBS Germany. Washi Beam produces die-forged wheels for Subaru, Mitsubishi, Aston Martin, Bentley, Lexus, Mazda and a few others as original equipment. They also produce the forgings used to produce F1, Indy, ALMS and other BBS racing wheels for programs around the world. Washi Beam is 100% independent of BBS Germany and Washi Beam is not involved in ANY bank or financial related issues. BBS Germany and Washi Beam started working together back in 1983... Remember the original 3 piece RS wheel? Washi Beam produced all of the die-forged wheel centers for these wheels.

I don't know if the older wheels are forged or not, but I'm sure I've seen Asahi written on some. If you read the NSX-R propaganda they say the wheels are co-developed by BBS, not made by them.

Maybe these wheels are cheap because as Honda no longer make the NSX, the manufacturers of the wheels are able to sell them direct, and not through Honda with their mark ups?

So why are they stamped BBS ( Type S zero and 02 that I have had ) ?

AR
12-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Discussed here to some extent:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70894&highlight=knock+off+wheels

http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/w_selection.php?_SUPPLIERSKU=ALY71723U&WandCRETURN=&_YEAR=2005&_MAKE=ACURA&_MODEL=NSX

Caveat Emptor, YMMV and BBQ just in case LOL

Now seriously do you really think you can buy OEM wheels for that money? If you do I got a nice stone that can turn lead to gold, or would you prefer one of the Nigerian Swiss accounts!!!

TheSebringOne
12-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Ouch Luke!, £300 is a bit dear? Where did you have them done? I like the look of Wicked Wheels previously posted & recommended by others here, but they're on the South coast & I'm in the good ole NW! :(

Silver Surfer
12-08-2007, 10:14 PM
OMG Under $250 per 02+ wheel......Very tempting!!!

I already got 3 sets of wheels!!!! Bugger........Resist! Resist! ;)

SS

Papalazarou
13-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Ouch Luke!, £300 is a bit dear? Where did you have them done? I like the look of Wicked Wheels previously posted & recommended by others here, but they're on the South coast & I'm in the good ole NW! :(

James,

WW are very good and will cost around £55.00+vat per wheel. That's around £260.00 but may depend on condition.

cheers,

James.

bazza
13-08-2007, 09:32 AM
We offer a refurb/powder coating service through a good company in Lincolnshire.. Did a great job on my wheels I bought from Mo :)

Refurb: £45 a wheel
Refurb+power coat: £65 a wheel
Power coat: £25 a wheel

TheQuietOne
13-08-2007, 11:32 AM

Luke's were done by WW, perhaps he was rounding up and including the fuel to get there and back!