PDA

View Full Version : One for the road.....

Papalazarou
08-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Now I've had my 3.2 coupe for a few weeks and had the opportunity to drive it a bit harder I thought I'd make a few comparisons.

Ironically, after always secretly believing that the coupe might be the better car, on ownership I'm not convinced.
The targa with it's more compliant suspension felt like it was breathing with the road, espcially on fast moorland jaunts where hard suspension is often a disadvantage.
By being a little softer and a bit heavier, the targa would settle into a turn without the need for correction.

That's not to say that the 3.2 hasn't got its advantages. I prefer the gear ratios, although the gearshift isn't as smooth as the 5 speed car. The steering is lighter which makes it feel like it's sharper.

It's also nice to see where I'm going at night! The lights are excellent and you can see them glow as you sit in the drivers seat.
The later styling, i.e; perforated leather, silver consul and blue dials are also an improvement in my opinion.

Basically, I like the new car. for the driving I do, it's better in some ways; increased engine flexibility, trim detail, steering, 'firmer' is good when I'm on those 'rare' smooth roads.

But in other ways, it's not as settled as my previous car and with the facelift changes, it feels and looks like it's lost some of its character. Now it's just a clean late car whereas the red targa had charisma.

Perhaps I'll change my opinion in the future. In 6 years time it'll be as old as my previous car is now.

Cheers,

James.

gsuds
08-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Interesting indeed for those of us who covet the later cars....

Did the suspension settings change for the later targas too? (Yes, I know there'll be a thread about this somewhere, but I can't be arsed looking.)

Slightly more compliant suspension can indeed be an advantage, not just for the comfy touring stuff but also trying to make quick progress - which the big wheelz / slammin' brigade don't seem to quite appreciate!

G

Papalazarou
08-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Slightly more compliant suspension can indeed be an advantage, not just for the comfy touring stuff but also trying to make quick progress - which the big wheelz / slammin' brigade don't seem to quite appreciate!
G

The first thing I did when I got this car was put on a set of 17's with the oem bridgestones. it made so much difference.

Cheers,

James.

dan the man
08-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Nice write up. I think to be honest all NSXs have a great ride for their darty ability and stiffness and composure.

Compared to my DC5 the ride is out of this world for me :)

Mr_Spanners
08-08-2007, 06:46 PM
All the targas have softer springs (just 7% though) and the damp and rebound parameters (in the shocks) are also different. Having previously spent a lot of time in a 1991 FHC and now owning James' previous car I have to concur with James that the softer suspension settings are more suited to UK roads and cope much better with uneven surfaces.

Still, I guess the hardcore drivers and track addicts will always opt for the FHC.... me, well I'm loving the PAS and more compliant suspension whilst grinning from ear to ear as I tootle along!!! :)

~Phil.

Kevin
08-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Pfff, all the standard springs are too soft for the hardcore track types.:)

DamianW
08-08-2007, 06:57 PM
The facelift cars had harder suspension didn't they? And the bigger wheels/tyres won't help.

My late 3.2 coupe rides very very well in my opinion. It has a more compliant ride than my Audi A6 over some surfaces (though that says more about Audi's awful interpretation of the word "sport"), but it'll still corner hard enough to hang my spleen on the wing mirror.

AR
08-08-2007, 07:09 PM
The steering is lighter which makes it feel like it's sharper.

Are you sure James? Your previous car had EPS. My 99 3.2 felt too sharp as compared to the R and the Non PAS 1993 at the moment.

Papalazarou
08-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Are you sure James? Your previous car had EPS. My 99 3.2 felt too sharp as compared to the R and the Non PAS 1993 at the moment.

I think the 3.2 feels lighter on the steering which coupled with the firmer ride makes it feel a little nervous when pushing hard on an uneaven surface. I did hear that they revised the EPS on the later cars.

Cheers,

James.

TheQuietOne
08-08-2007, 08:16 PM
perforated leather is an improvement in my opinion.

Knew you'd get it in the end buddy!

Having car swapped in Derby on that summers day I would agree with your comments, but I would say I found the brakes much less confidence inspiring in you red T and also felt the gear change although smoother in some ways slight less positive and perhaps more warn.

Still when I get down to you soon we can do another swap and see what we think - you might just find you car swiftly disappears up the M5 when you're not looking :D

Senninha
10-08-2007, 11:28 AM
HI James,

Good feedback from your early ownership. There are many things from the 02 that I like (and have now upgraded on mine), but I do agree that loosing the pop-ups does take away some of the character of the NSX.

Your chassis comments are of interest as I'm currently trying to decide whether to make some changes. I do like the day to day compliance of the Targa settings, working well with the later and stiffer bodyshell of my 98. I'd like to stiffen up the bounce effect but have a feeling I would then be relaying similar comments as yourself.

My other dilema is what to change too. Where possible I've used OEM parts for the mods I've made. This therefore limits me to either a 3.2 coupe set of dampers/springs or Type S units. Type R is simply a big no-no for Uk roads IMO.

If we meet soon then maybe you can give me a run out to feel the difference. Maybe we could end up just swapping suspension ;)

Regards, Paul

forumadmin
10-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Maybe your dampers are just worn? How many miles do you have?

Remember your car has been abused in the past.:)

HI James,

Good feedback from your early ownership. There are many things from the 02 that I like (and have now upgraded on mine), but I do agree that loosing the pop-ups does take away some of the character of the NSX.

Your chassis comments are of interest as I'm currently trying to decide whether to make some changes. I do like the day to day compliance of the Targa settings, working well with the later and stiffer bodyshell of my 98. I'd like to stiffen up the bounce effect but have a feeling I would then be relaying similar comments as yourself.

My other dilema is what to change too. Where possible I've used OEM parts for the mods I've made. This therefore limits me to either a 3.2 coupe set of dampers/springs or Type S units. Type R is simply a big no-no for Uk roads IMO.

If we meet soon then maybe you can give me a run out to feel the difference. Maybe we could end up just swapping suspension ;)

Regards, Paul

Senninha
10-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Currently reading 47k, some of which we know was track use but hardly abused. Is there any way of checking the wear? Are the OEM units capable of being rebuilt if required?