PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Pedal firming up

Steveycaz
07-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Well I think crawling through London for 5 hours the other weekend may have had an effect on my clutch (it certainly did on my left leg!). The pedal is a lot firming, and groans a bit when I depress it (maybe its upset?:D). Anyway, does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong? Lost hydraulic fluid? Worn plates? Weak left leg?

Martin
07-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Old age I'd say Steve....oh by the way I'm your neighbour now! :-)

Mr_Spanners
07-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Well I think crawling through London for 5 hours the other weekend may have had an effect on my clutch (it certainly did on my left leg!). The pedal is a lot firming, and groans a bit when I depress it (maybe its upset?:D). Anyway, does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong? Lost hydraulic fluid? Worn plates? Weak left leg?

Check the fluid level (under the bonnet) and also check around the top of the pedal arm, where it goes through the bulkhead, for traces of hydraulic fluid (suggesting a leak from the clutch master cylinder). Having read a few threads about clutch pedal problems it would seem the slave cylinder (in the engine bay) is more prone to failure although it does depend how many miles your existing clutch has done???

Hopefully it wont be the release bearing inside the clutch as that's going to be pricey! The release bearing is not included in the NSX clutch kit... unlike other Honda cars.

HTH

~Phil.

mutley
07-08-2007, 10:07 PM
When I done the clutch in my car, I had to buy the release bearing from Honda, and it cost me about 80 quid (that was with discount for being honda revs member). An d that was the most expensive part for that repair.

(PS the snap ring repair is still going strong too)

Jim

Steveycaz
08-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks chaps. Will do a visual inspection for fluid egress. I am due a service next month, with a cambelt change. Will also ask them about the clutch. £££££££££££££ :(

dan the man
08-08-2007, 05:23 PM
My clutch was very stiff and sticky when i first got my car. After trawling prime and on here i had all sorts of worries in my head.

In the end a local mechanic got every last bit of air out he could and then removed the slave cyliner boot and greased it up as i pushed the clutch in and out for ten mins, as he said he could hear it squeeking.

Eventually it became smooth and a lot easier and its been fine ever since.

A lot of cars on prime have have had the box off and the release fork bearing thingy greased with high temp urea grease, as it seems this has dried out on a lot of cars.