PDA

View Full Version : Second car insurance queries

Paul
01-01-2005, 10:54 PM
Having brought my NSX last September and used it as my everyday car since then, I've decided that it's time to let her enjoy the warmth of my garage a bit more, rather than have her running about in the cold everyday, especially now winter is here ... not to mention the 6,000 miles plus I've clocked up since then, all trouble free mechanically, asides from having to replace the clutch, but hey, it's a renewable part that wears out, so I'm not fussed ... sorry I digress.

Right back on subject, I've been ringing round for insurance on the new motor that will become my runaround and trying to work out how I insure my NSX. It looks like I'm going to go down the route of placing her on a classic car policy (even though she's just over 8 years old and a grey import) with a company called; Aon, who are based in Woking. They will insure her for £720 without using any of my no claims dicsount which will move to the Golf V6 4Motion.

My queries are;
1. Has anyone used Aon in Woking?
2. If yes to 1. above and you've had to make a claim, or have a claim made against you, how did they deal with it? i.e. was their service good?
3. Has anyone else got any suggestions as to a better/cheaper (but not reducing service/cover) company to insure my NSX with?

Just for your info, I've managed to get a quote from Norwich Union Direct for £504 for the Golf, around group 17 or 18 I believe, with full no claims and 6 points for two speeding tickets, which I don't think is too bad. I'm 35 which probably helps my premiums a little, but don't tell all the girls ;-)

ctrlaltdelboy
02-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Aon is one of the biggest insurers in the world

their 2003 report here (http://www.aon.com/about/publications/pdf/issues/aon03sar.pdf) shows revenues of $9.8 billion and assets of $27 billion.

they lost many employees who were working in the WTC on 9/11 (and settled a $200M claim as they also insured the WTC)

even after paying the $200M WTC claim they made a net profit of $625M for 2003

they own they Combined Insurance Company of America with 5,000,000 policy holders across 9 countries including the UK

their head office in Chicago is called Aon Center, it's impressive stats are:
- 2.3 million square feet
- 80 stories tall
- 1,136 feet tall
- 2nd tallest building in Chicago.
- 12th tallest building in the world.
- has 50 elevators.

here's a couple of pics of it

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.info/Images/TheLoop/AonCenter-002.jpg http://www.chicagoarchitecture.info/Images/TheLoop/AonCenter-006.jpg

in the left pic you can see 2 other buildings to the left of Aon Center, the furthest left of the 3 is the Prudential building, which at 601 feet was Chicago's tallest building when it was constructed in 1954. in the middle of the 3 is the new Prudential building - Prudential Plaza (1990, 995 feet), but both are overshadowed by the Aon Center.

a couple more pics below 'cos I think it's cool

http://home.xnet.com/~jkelley/VirtualTours.fldr/VirtualChicago.fldr/Aon.fldr/Aon.Images/StdOilPruSun2.JPG http://www.emporis.com/files/transfer/5/2002/05/148876.jpg

that's about all I can tell you about Aon

Paul
02-01-2005, 10:50 PM
Thanks for all the lovely info and pictures Darren ... but it hardly answers any of my queries ... ;-)

Mind you it does make me think they should be a fairly reputable company to go to.

Has anyone else anything to offer on my queries in my original post ... I think Darren has given us all more than enough info so we can see that Aon should be a fairly solid company to use ... :-)

lotusolly
03-01-2005, 02:02 PM
I have been insured with Aon who's address is in Dudley, West Midlands for the last 3 years.
I came across them through the lotus owners club when I had my Elan. As far as I am aware this Aon is just a broker as the policy is underwritten by Royal Sunalliance. My 96 NSX is insured through their classic policy restricted to 5,000 miles and I have to run an additional vehicle. I am paying £697 a year with an agreed valuation of £26,000 so it sounds very similar to the policy you mention.
I had to make a claim when someone damaged the rear bumper on my lotus and had no problems. The car was repaired at a bodyshop OF MY CHOICE as it says in their policy and everything was dealt with efficiently.
I do get track cover although I do have to inform them of the event before hand and my excess increases to £1000 when on track.
Everything regarding the policy is always headed with the name Aon including the policy booklet indicating this could be a policy unique to them but the actual insurance certificate is headed Royal Sunalliance.
I would recommend them fully if it is the same company
Hope this helps

Olly

Paul
03-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Cheers Olly

The cover for track days with an increase to your voluntary exces seems very useful. I fully intend to track my NSX when I get the opportunity this year, so cover for that will be very important. I'm bound to have the odd spin during an early outing with the NSX, or I'll be getting flashed as otehr drivers scream up behind me and try to get me to move out of the way ... lol

Ciaran
04-01-2005, 08:28 PM
It has little to do with the discussion, but Aon are brokers and not Insurers (Underwriters). They are probably the largest in the world, although Marsh would argue this.

They do Special niche deals all the time, and generally give good service. They are very unlightly to disappear on your.

I only wish they would quote for my NSX over this side!!!!!!!

Kevin
05-01-2005, 10:03 AM
Do you know how AON feel about modifications?

lotusolly
05-01-2005, 06:11 PM
When I have asked about modifications in the past I have usually got the response of they will still insure the car but do not cover the cost of the modifications.
I dont know if you would still get this response on parts that make a significant performane increase!

olly

Paul
08-01-2005, 12:41 AM
Do you know how AON feel about modifications? I'm afraid not Kevin ... the only change from standard on my car are the aftermarket alloys, which I mentioned and they were fine about.

As long as the cover for track days (increase to excess in LotusOlly's post earlier) is acceptable I think I've found my insurance company for the NSX. If the track cover is not all it's cracked up to be, I might have to sort out some special cover enarer the time. But, I'm gonna go with Aon for the NSX for now.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Paul
08-01-2005, 12:50 AM
Just for your info, I've managed to get a quote from Norwich Union Direct for £504 for the Golf, around group 17 or 18 I believe, with full no claims and 6 points for two speeding tickets, which I don't think is too bad. I'm 35 which probably helps my premiums a little, but don't tell all the girls ;-) I confirmed with Norwich Union Direct that they'd recorded all details correctly, 6 points for speeding in the last 3 years and bigger 17" VW optional alloys fitted, and they confirmed the price at £503.99p.

Neesless to say that policy will be the one I use to insure the Golf.

I originally got the quote by using their website, then having rung round a load of otehr companies I called them, they already had a quote from my website visit and when I called they just brought this up and gave me a reference number. When I called back to confirm all details they were still able to give me the policy at the discounted price from the website quote. I hate to admit it, but they've quoted me happy!

There price was over £100 less then the next best price I got, which was £617, which was good in comparrison to most other comptitive quotes.

BabyNSX
22-01-2005, 09:09 AM
interesting post

do both cars have to be in your name?

ie can i insure my wifes rav4 using my full ncb and then get a classic aon policy to cover my 1996 nsx with no ncb?

Paul
22-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Both my cars are in my name, the Golf V6 4motion is insured with Norwich Union Direct for £504, 6 points for speeding, full no claims discount, no claims that were my fault in the last five years. The NSX is also in my name with no no claims bonus on the policy and Aon have done it for me for £720, garaged and no more than 3000 miles per policy year.