PDA

View Full Version : Is my clutch on the way out?

starchaser
01-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Hi all,

The clutch action on my 94' NSX is very high up on the pedal and when I first pull away I sometimes get a screeching sound from somewhere? Difficult to be precise but seems to be coming from behind me. The clutch doesn't seem to be slipping and according to my service history a complete new clutch was installed about 25K ago.....any thoughts?

If it does need fixing I can buy a complete OEM assembly incl the flywheel fro around $1250 c/w alighnment tool, from the states. It's for an Accura NSX so would that still be OK and is that a good price?

How difficult is it to fit on a 1 to 10 scale. I have a pretty comprehensive tool kit to call on as well as a means of lifting the engine if I have to.

Anyone out there done this?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Cheers

CLP

indi pearl
01-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Must say it sounds like the release bearing on it's way out.Sometimes to cut costs (but storing up trouble later) only the friction plate of a worn clutch is replaced,re-utilising the original sprung housing and release bearing.Hope you sort it out without to much strife.

starchaser
01-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Hi thanks for the info, I have checked the works sheet and a new bearing was fitted at the same time, the work was carried out at Ryland Honda in Cardiff so assume they went the whole 10 yards
CLP

sportyking
01-08-2007, 01:08 PM
A high clutch pedal action is indicitive of a worn out friction plate and often the pressure plate as well.

I have not seen an NSX friction plate in the flesh but most have the friction material riveted onto the friction plate. If the the friction plate is worn down to the rivet heads this can account for the noise (rivets grinding on pressure plate). As previously said release bearings can squeal when dry but the two symptoms you describe suggest the clutch is going fast. Any good mechanic worth his salt can suss this out without taking the car out of the car park.

Try putting the car in a high gear and accelarating from a low speed, if it slips this is confirmation but if it doesn't it's still inconclusive rather than proving the clutch is ok. The reason for this test is that as the clutch components wear and get thinner the pressure from the springs reduces and the clutch will start to slip more easily, but some clutches maintain enough pressure to work even when the plates are worn out.

AR
01-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Hi thanks for the info, I have checked the works sheet and a new bearing was fitted at the same time, the work was carried out at Ryland Honda in Cardiff so assume they went the whole 10 yards
CLP

They are normally quite good there. In a normal car 25K is not much but in an NSX who knows how it was driven for those 25K.

Cheers,

AR

NSXGB
01-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Is the screeching noise heard when you pull away hard or all the time?
If it's when you pull away hard, I possibly have the same noise maybe that I have put down to the release bearing. My pedal is fine and the noise hasn't got any worse in 4 years, but I don't think it's worth changing the bearing until the clutch goes...

As it's got a hydraulic clutch, could this have any effect on pedal position? Might be worth checking before comitting to a new clutch kit....

starchaser
01-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Hi Simon,
the noise only happens when I pull away and then only sometimes. If I pull away hard it will definitely happen but on occasions when normal thrust is applied!

The clutch itself seems fine, is it possible to just change the bearing or is this an engine out job so no point?

Cheers

Clive

sportyking
01-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Engine out is the easiest way, release bearing or full clutch! Mutley has done it for his gearbox mod so it would be best to chat to him. If doing it consider doing the cambelt at the same time.

AR
01-08-2007, 01:50 PM
AFAIK same as doing the clutch. So it all depends on how deep your pockets are. :)

Is your car the one that was sold by performance marine???

starchaser
01-08-2007, 03:46 PM
AFAIK same as doing the clutch. So it all depends on how deep your pockets are. :)

Is your car the one that was sold by performance marine???

Hi, I bought this from them just over a year ago, apart from the window widget breaking this is the first real issue I have had with it since I bought it. I use it every single day and it's been mega reliable.

Do you know anything about it's previous history?

Cheers

Clive

AR
01-08-2007, 04:14 PM
The best thing will be to speak to Ryland.

I looked at it when it was up for nearly £ 20K and they would not budge. We did not agree on price and condition so I passed. They later on reduced it according to condition.

The previous owner is on Pistonheads and he told me that he had had some problems, but not very specific.

Cheers,

AR

markc
01-08-2007, 05:39 PM
I changed the clutch on my 3.2ltr 6spd, it's certainly not simple but there're no real secrets or "witchcraft" involved.
The 3.0ltr cars have the added complexity of the twin plates which need to be synchronised.

What with all the water, exhaust manifolds, aircon connections etc I wouldn't remove the engine unless you plan to tear it down. The cambelt can be done in situ without too much difficulty.

Check these links for Mutley and my advice and observations after our clutch DIY's.

http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=1809&highlight=clutch
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=1079

Cheers

Mark

mutley
01-08-2007, 07:24 PM
HI, well I can tell a fair bit about the clutch as I had a few "wee problems" with mine (search my prvious clutch posts).

I had the same screeching noise and it all ended with my release bearing exploding. The clutch is pretty east to change if you have the space, the most difficult part is getting the box off and on ( it's a heavy old thing).

Even with the twin plates in my car (1991) I couldn't get an alignment tool so I "made one" (broom handle and 2 bits of wire coat hanger) and me and my mate got it all done in a weekend (inc changing the snap ring inside the box)

hope that helps. If you need more detail let me know.

Jim

starchaser
01-08-2007, 08:49 PM
The best thing will be to speak to Ryland.

I looked at it when it was up for nearly £ 20K and they would not budge. We did not agree on price and condition so I passed. They later on reduced it according to condition.

The previous owner is on Pistonheads and he told me that he had had some problems, but not very specific.

Cheers,

AR

Are you sure this is the same car? When I went to see it it was absolutely immaculate not a single mark on it anywhere including the wheels which were perfect. The only real sign of wear was the drivers seat which had a tear in the side. It's last service was nearly £5K at Ryland's which included a gearbox rebuild, new clutch and water pump, it also had a brand new set of Toyo's fitted came with a 6 month Warranty and I only paid £17k! Within an hour of collecting it an engine warning light came on and as it was Sunday they couldn't get if fixed. So I drove back to Suffolk in my car, Rylands fitted a faulty sensor on the Monday and PM delivered it FOC to Suffolk on the Weds. Pretty good service in my book. I have driven this car hard over the last year and apart from a seized Aircon pump this is the first issue I have had with it. My DB7 on the otherhand is another story!..................

CLP

AR
01-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Mate I am sure it is the same car. Check the panels and you can see the newly paited ones. IMHO it was not worth £ 20K. At £ 16995 it was closer to reality.