PDA

View Full Version : P27 OLU spotted

rkanaga
27-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Today about 3pm neat the A46/M4 junction. Simon's NSX going like a bat out of hell as I was trogging back from holiday (unfortunately in the family Volvo estate). Note to self - I had forgotten how good NSX's sound from the outside, must remember to drive with the windows down more (once I fitted the Dali fixit widgit that is!)

Brightened up an otherwise long haul home to Guildford!

simonprelude
28-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Were you in the line of traffic waiting to join the M4 ??
I was in a rush so decided to go round everyone to join the queue that was already on the M4 :(

Was on my way over to Honda at Cribbs Causeway.

rkanaga
28-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Yup! that was me! is your exhaust standard by the way, because it really did sound good?

regards

Robin

dan the man
29-07-2007, 03:14 PM
widjet?? elaborate!

rkanaga
29-07-2007, 03:22 PM
The little aluminium blocks to to replace the plastic ones and prevent the window regulators failing on pre-94 (I think) cars.

Update - I did the driver's side yesterday with the help of Phil's pliers (thanks!) - bugger of a job, but at least it's done now.

Passenger side tonight!

dan the man
29-07-2007, 03:27 PM
ok so my 97 should be ok. phew

simonprelude
30-07-2007, 07:46 AM
Standard, but even they sound good at 8000rpm :)

Yup! that was me! is your exhaust standard by the way, because it really did sound good?

rkanaga
30-07-2007, 08:03 AM
I'm still in that stage of owership of a new car when you tend to be a bit reserved about really letting rip with the power, but I clearly need to get on with exploring the limits soon! Now my drivers window is safe I gave it a bit of a run today and yes, as you say, it does sound good!

Incidentally my car has only done 35,000 miles, but you could already see the regulator cable cuting into the original plastic block, which is the prelude to it breaking and failing. So I would definitely agree that, although the fixit job is a bit of a pain, it does not cost much (about £15) and could save £££'s compared to a new window regulator mechanism.

Taking cars apart really gives you an insight as to whether the quality is more than skin deep. The NSX is engineered well to the core, even those parts that are not particularly critical seem to have been properly designed and built (window winders excepted!). Having dismantled my doors now, the biggest compliment I can give Honda is that the engineering of all the little clips and fittings reminded me of my Mk II Golf GTI (whereas a Renault Alpine GTA I once had was lovely on the surface, but held together by nasty self tapping screws and glue underneath - not for nothing was Alpine called 'the French Lotus'!)

Astonishing for a 1991 car. By comparison a Ferrari 348 must have seemed pretty shoddy at the time

Nick Graves
03-08-2007, 08:41 AM
It equally applies to Honda motorcycles, too: Build quality is more than skin-deep.

I am enthralled by the little Honda clips; one may take huge swathes of bodywork off & on with your fingernails & a Philips screwdriver.

mutley
03-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Yeah I agree, when I first bought my NSX, I was a little worried about working on it, but now I think I've had most of it apart and back together again. Such an easy car to work on. It's about time other companies started taking notes.

Jim

simonprelude
20-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Missing my baby :(

NSX 2000
20-01-2013, 10:10 PM
HOLLY SHIP! How old is this thread Simon???????

simonprelude
20-01-2013, 10:19 PM
Just did a random search for P27 on the old Internet. Happy memories, maybe time to buy another one......or place a pre-order.

TheSebringOne
21-01-2013, 01:09 AM
Going Simon, you know you want to! :D

Place a pre-order for 2015 !?

NSX 2000
21-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Just did a random search for P27 on the old Internet. Happy memories, maybe time to buy another one......or place a pre-order.

Well this bloke from Auto Express seems to like the new one.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/nsx/37892/detroit-2012-honda-nsx

Nick Graves
21-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Although that's a runner (hence the false diffusers & acrylic covers) it's still an early mule. The interior (though lovely) is just one proposal.

I love the way the hacks get carried away.

Problem Child
21-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Although that's a runner (hence the false diffusers & acrylic covers) it's still an early mule. The interior (though lovely) is just one proposal.

I love the way the hacks get carried away.

One important point (concern?) no-one has mentioned yet...the car has been developed and built by the US! Let me think of well built American cars.....

Ford GT40
emmmm
ummmm
?????

Senninha
21-01-2013, 10:56 PM
One important point (concern?) no-one has mentioned yet...the car has been developed and built by the US! Let me think of well built American cars.....

Ford GT40
emmmm
ummmm
?????

Acura TSX ... Their version of our Accord I believe ... Top selling and most reliable for many years I believe ....

ChrisR
21-01-2013, 11:20 PM

That's one thing that puts me off:

A flagship Japanese supercar......designed and built in America :(

Chris.

TheSebringOne
21-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Hopefully Honda's or Acura's halo car should be well built, figures crossed!

NSX 2000
22-01-2013, 09:58 AM

Ford GT40
emmmm
ummmm
?????

IIRC BMW, Mercerdes, and Lexus all have plants in the US which produce cars for Europe. I think the Mercerdes ML and Lexus RX are only made in the US.

Papalazarou
22-01-2013, 11:45 AM
IIRC BMW, Mercerdes, and Lexus all have plants in the US which produce cars for Europe. I think the Mercerdes ML and Lexus RX are only made in the US.

I think you have to judge a vehicle on its merits, regardless of its origin. However, Mercedes certainly had a lot of quality issues with the US made ML's. On the other hand you rarely hear anything terrible about the Lexus.

Cheers,

markc
23-01-2013, 11:29 AM

More so the "designed" part, or more specifically the hand of US product marketing. This (the US) and the new economies (China etc) has to be their target market and is why it looks like it's passed through West Coast Customs... it looks "Bad Asss" to me!

Sorry if I sound grumpy about it, it's not this car specifically that leaves me cold but it's most of the current design themes and all this hybrid nonsense :(

Cheers

Mark

Nick Graves
23-01-2013, 11:46 AM
I think you have to judge a vehicle on its merits, regardless of its origin. However, Mercedes certainly had a lot of quality issues with the US made ML's. On the other hand you rarely hear anything terrible about the Lexus.

Cheers,

Yeah, but for years, M-Bs made in Germany have been complete PoS too.

Kinda like Japanese Brits are top of JD Power/Warranty direct and Brit Brits are consistently bottom.

One thing is though; Yanks cannot keep schtum for five seconds, so a lot if info is leaking, which would NEVER leak from Tochigi! Hence, the story that the show car is a discarded hack fitted with a nice interior proposal, because they've moved onto a mark 2 hack. With a more powerful engine.

The reason it's being developed & built in its biggest market is currency fluctuation. Honda would lose money if it were made in Japan. Hence most future Hondas will be very regional.

Senninha
23-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Currency fluctuation for sure, and (unfortunately) a need to keep an eye on the climate ...

NSX 2000
24-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Currency fluctuation for sure, and (unfortunately) a need to keep an eye on the climate ...

Are you talking about them going to war with China??????

(Sorry about this mods if the FBI, MI6, KGB, al qaeda get in contact with you :( )