PDA

View Full Version : NSX to replace my Tuscan......hmm maybe

nd4spd
20-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Why should i make the move, i admit it's getting too much to drive now. My muscles are not what they used to be. I have come across a few NSX's at Silverstone and there not bad goers :wink:

Welshman
20-12-2004, 05:26 PM
I've never driven a TVR so can't give you a comparison. I can only suggest that you drive an NSX and see what you think of it.

jaytip
20-12-2004, 08:21 PM
i have to ask,are you a hobbit? :wink:

Kevin
20-12-2004, 08:49 PM
Depends on what qualities you value, to make a good car.

TVR owners like the power, the noise, don't mind the reliability, and other shortcomings which they will call 'character'.

I have no time for such 'character'. I want my car to go when I want it to. I want performance limits which I can reach (well almost!). I think you will find the same answer from most NSX owners. It's a car you buy with your head, rather than other more emotive parts of your anatomy.

I have driven a Cerbera on track. Let's just say I didn't like it.

I have never been embarassed on track in my NSX against a TVR.

nd4spd
21-12-2004, 11:32 AM
oooh thats a tad bit harsh :shock:

A friend of mine based in Hampton own a NSX R so will be interesting to compare, as for the hobbit question, afraid not.

DamianW
21-12-2004, 12:02 PM
At the end of the day only you can decide. We all love our NSXs, they're great cars, but you might very well hate it. Its not everyones cuppa.

Go drive one and let us know what you think! (Unless you hate it in which case just post it to a TVR forum ;) )

trackdemon
21-12-2004, 12:37 PM
I did the TVR to NSX move last year, coming from a Chimaera. Best thing I ever did, I simply cannot imagine what I could replace the NSX with now.
Why? Well, I decided that after 4 years of very enjoyable TVR ownership I was due a change, and was looking for 'something completely different'. The fact that the NSX is touched by genius helps, and I was lucky enough to find EXACTLY the car I wanted in spec / price / colour etc pretty quickly. I thought I'd miss the performance of the TVR but no, the NSX is a deceptively fast car (not Tuscan quick but fast nonethelss) and the trade of in useability, reliability, handling, quality etc is well worth it. Having shared tracktime recently with a pair of Tuscans and a Griff 500 I can confirm that:

The NSX is as quick, maybe a little quicker than a Tuscan over a lap due to the superb handling
Its faster than a Griff 500 everywhere bar low speed corner exit - I exited a 3rd gear bend just behind the Griff and caught it fairly easily once we were over 100mph (aerodynamics?).

Basically, I'd suggest the obvious: go try one. Probably a good idea to let the owner show you what it can do first as you can't just jump in and go for it - a good driver should have you very impressed with the cars abilities. Finding a good one may be the problem though - as you've mentioned there aren't that many around.

nd4spd
21-12-2004, 04:14 PM
Thanks alot guys!

Friday is the big day so will get back to you guys, mate is a bit hesitant to take it to the track!!! But should be great to see how it performs round our local twisties (im yet to experience Vtec :twisted: ). I have only ever met one NSX on the M1 but thats hardly a race. As for the Griffith 500 comparison, there not great cars, mine is! As for engine rebuids and general niggles tell me about it. :(

I'm not here to cause any tension/greif for anyone, im here to be educated :)

Thanks again guys

BrownBear
21-12-2004, 04:43 PM
A friend of mine based in Hampton own a NSX R...

Type R? - 8)

Be nice to see one, if you can get him to come along to any of our meets next year, that would be great.

Welshman
21-12-2004, 06:36 PM
A friend of mine based in Hampton own a NSX R...

Type R? - 8)

Maybe it's one of the JDM Type S's.

nd4spd
21-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Its definately a Type R (Championship White). I will try and get some pics of it, it looks lovely. But i love the burnt orange colour(Imola Pearl). Theres one wizzing around my work place all the time.

He should be cool with the idea, just let us know where to be and when?

trackdemon
22-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Are you mates with Steve Sutcliffe then? AFAIK he's got the only Type-R in the country (well, the only official one at least). Would love to see one sometime.

nd4spd
22-12-2004, 02:33 PM
Nope, he is an oriental friend. Chung Wai he works for nortel networks

ctrlaltdelboy
22-12-2004, 02:44 PM
look forward to seeing some pics of Chung's NSX-R :wink:

mcibuk
22-12-2004, 06:12 PM
I owned 2 TVR's - the last one (400SE) i had from new for 14 years and it was an extremely reliable - low cost car to run with great performance but a bit of a handful in the wet!

I changed to NSX ealier this year and wasn't sure if the performance was going to be enough to give me same buzz as the TVR did - I just love this car and have no regrets about the change.

The TVR was great - the NSX is even better!

I hope you get switched on too!!!

nd4spd
22-12-2004, 08:43 PM
MCIBUK other then my speed six the only other TVR's i have driven is a 'S' and a Griff500, the 400se were great cars, but cant touch a tuscan. You guys definatley need to have a whizz in mine and compare.

trackdemon
23-12-2004, 12:20 PM
:lol: Is that an offer :wink:

david_f
23-12-2004, 01:00 PM
I've also driven a Tuscan but went to an NSX is March of this year instead. I did 13 track days (two of which were at Silverstone GP circuit - B16 BAB?). I never even needed to top up the oil after 13 track days! I bought the car for track days and it has proved an absolute blast. I've got some nice mods in the pipeline as well. Once fitted and tested I'll share with the forum. You'll never look back - unless you like cold nights on the hard shoulder? Cheers, David.

orangerocket99
23-12-2004, 05:08 PM
Its definately a Type R (Championship White). I will try and get some pics of it, it looks lovely. But i love the burnt orange colour(Imola Pearl). Theres one wizzing around my work place all the time.

He should be cool with the idea, just let us know where to be and when?

I have purchased in April :D a 99 Imola NSX and I think its the best colour :twisted:

If you go to the pictures at Santa Pod on the forum you can see my car.

Russ
Orangerocket
Beds

ctrlaltdelboy
23-12-2004, 08:00 PM
I love the Imola Orange too (enough to get one I mean not just 'yeah thats a lovely colour')

I tried for ages to get the wife to order the S2000 in Imola but she insisted on black

BrownBear
24-12-2004, 08:50 AM
I have purchased in April :D a 99 Imola NSX and I think its the best colour :twisted:

It's alright, I suppose - :mrgreen:

nd4spd
24-12-2004, 02:38 PM
Times ticking...... Cant wait to get my hands on his car. I think he is having 2nd thoughts now :P As i have phoned him 7 times in the last 3 nights!!!

Bad news its not a type r :x It is in actual fact a JDM (dont know spec)

As for driving my car..... as long as nothing goes mechanically wrong with it whilst you drive it, not a prob matey :wink:

mcibuk
24-12-2004, 04:39 PM
nd4spd - I'm certain you're right about Tuscan being much faster than 400se - but the overall "experience" of Honda (NSX) versus TVR (even the latest versions) in my humble opinion favours the NSX.

After driving a Ferrari 550 Maranello for the day which probably outshines the Tuscan for sheer speed - i still favour the NSX.

jaytip
25-12-2004, 12:35 AM
After driving a Ferrari 550 Maranello for the day which probably outshines the Tuscan for sheer speed - i still favour the NSX.
0-60 and 0-100 im not so sure?TVR's are well known for their acceleration

nd4spd
25-12-2004, 05:00 PM
Forget the 550 Maranello, you should try a Tuscan 'S' :twisted:

What can i say about the Nsx Test Drive?

It was amazing, 3.2 6 speed (he told me to make sure i mention that!!) IT is easily the easiest to drive supercar i have ever driven, in all honesty it did not have the same grunt (dont feel any torque) but was loads of fun to drive. Although i only drove for approx an hour, it felt like i was driving for a shorter time peroid. I love the car, very simple but bags of fun. I love the screamin of the VTEC, which is not muffled out by his custom exhaust (HKS)

The steering was very reponsive, IT HAD POWER STEERING!!

I gotta have one, next year hopefully :wink: