PDA

View Full Version : newbie eps help please?

chrisnsx
10-07-2007, 08:15 AM
hello

i have an imported 89 nsx. the eps is not working and the light is on the dash. can somebody tell me where the diagnostic plug is please just for info?

also can someone recommend a garage in the berkshire surrey hants west london area or any 1 man tuners please so i can get it fixed asap.i had a mechanic out and the 12v motor works but cant find the fault as needs the diagnostic plug.

thanks for your help

TheQuietOne
10-07-2007, 12:14 PM
hello

i have an imported 89 nsx. the eps is not working and the light is on the dash. can somebody tell me where the diagnostic plug is please just for info?

also can someone recommend a garage in the berkshire surrey hants west london area or any 1 man tuners please so i can get it fixed asap.i had a mechanic out and the 12v motor works but cant find the fault as needs the diagnostic plug.

thanks for your help

An '89!?!?!?! Wow must have been one of the very first cars.... I would think Plans Motorsport aren't a million miles from you but not too good on southern geography any more!

Steveycaz
10-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Plans are at Dunsfold near Godalming. There is Chiswick Honda of course who come recommended for work on NSX.

An '89? I echo Matt's 'wow'!

kevinpsw
10-07-2007, 01:19 PM
My EPS had been changed not so long before I got my car and, I'm afraid, the part was very expensive >£1000. The receipt did appear to show that the labour charge was modest. I did see one on US eBay a little while ago so that would be worth a look. I didn't know that EPS was on early cars, auto perhaps?

britlude
10-07-2007, 04:11 PM
EPS has always been on the auto cars.... the diagnostic plug is at the fron of the passenger footwell, a blue 2 wire plug behind the top of the carpet...
short the wires together, and switch on the ignition, the erronious lights will flash... count the flashes(long and short flashes) and report back!

Papalazarou
10-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Honda actually recalled some model years in the states for EPS faults, but not here. However, if you must have a new control unit call Honda customer services, they 'only' charged me £800.00 inc. for mine.

I have a spare EPS control unit that was fixed by BBA. Give me a call if you can't face the £800.00 - 1300.00 cost of a replacement.

Before you panic though, try taking out the clock fuse and see if that makes any difference. It worked for me for about a fortnight.

If you decide to get it repaired I would Recommend BBA on 01634 230055. They'll charge you around £125-£150.00 for replacing the offending relay which is apparently 'normally' the culprit.

Cheers,

James.

nsx453
10-07-2007, 06:35 PM
HI.
I had my EPS light coming on but my speedo also stopped working.
It turned out that all I needed was a new speed sensor.
Hope this is all you need too.
Best wishes

chrisnsx
11-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Hi thanks very much! it is an auto. BN Sports demo car from Japan.i will try find the fault before it goes to Plans.

cheers

chrisnsx
11-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Honda actually recalled some model years in the states for EPS faults, but not here. However, if you must have a new control unit call Honda customer services, they 'only' charged me £800.00 inc. for mine.

I have a spare EPS control unit that was fixed by BBA. Give me a call if you can't face the £800.00 - 1300.00 cost of a replacement.

Before you panic though, try taking out the clock fuse and see if that makes any difference. It worked for me for about a fortnight.

If you decide to get it repaired I would Recommend BBA on 01634 230055. They'll charge you around £125-£150.00 for replacing the offending relay which is apparently 'normally' the culprit.

Cheers,

James.

hi who are BBA? can you describe the control unit and where it is on the car etc? i could get my mechanic to fit your one i might buy off you?

thanks

Papalazarou
12-07-2007, 07:20 AM
Hi,

BBA are an ECU repair company that the trade use. The EPS unit on 'manual' cars (not sure if it's the same for autos) is in the passengers footwell. You need to roll the carpet back, undo the bracket and on my car it was under the footwell mounted speaker. It's a slim silver box.

Cheers,

James.