PDA

View Full Version : Paint bubbling

Sebringbug
27-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Hi everyone. Has anyone experienced a similar problem. I have small areas of paint blistering on the lower section of the back part of the rear wheelarches. Looks like rust under paint...yeah I know it's not!!!!:rolleyes:

Car is an 02 and Honda say not covered under paint warranty.... Discussions pending:(

Looks like electrolysis to me...have a similar issue with my Caterham where the Ally body meets the steel chassis. Only possible steel around the X wheelarch I can see could be the screw holding the wheelarch liner in place.

Car never been sprayed shunted etc but Honda say its from "external" source.

Any views/ comments??

dan the man
27-06-2007, 06:33 PM
i need to check my car but is there a rubber strip running along the arch underneat?

On DC2s they had the strip which caught lots of dirt and almost every old DC2 used regulary bubbled from underneath in this way.

lots were done on warranty....

NSX and DC2 were same design era....

TheQuietOne
27-06-2007, 07:05 PM
I have the very same but in a different place and I have been meaning to take it up with Norton way when I get it serviced. Mine's a 2000 and has had absolutely no incidents at all - James and I polished it from head to toe last month and every single red part of the car has tinted clear coat, which you only get on a factory sprayed part of the car!

Who is your local garage, maybe we can start a joint campaign...I know there are a few others with the same issues too on here from meets in the past!

TheSebringOne
27-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Welcome Sebringbug, do you have pictures of these blisters as I assume there on the exterior rather under the rear arches? I can't see any on my arches where I think your'e talking about? I thought the chassis was aluminium too aswell as the body work & suspension parts, so there should be no aluminium & steel reaction?

Kevin
27-06-2007, 08:09 PM
I have a small patch. There is a crack in the paint, and I guess the ali is corroding underneath.

TheSebringOne
27-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Kevin, the same place as SebringBug?

TheQuietOne
27-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Kevin, the same place as SebringBug?

I'd guess front end!

WhyOne?
27-06-2007, 08:54 PM
I have a bubble or two around the drivers side windscreen washer jet - 2001 car.

I shall explore Honda's attitude to this when I get Y1 serviced in a couple of weeks time.

I'm more than happy to help with lobbying Honda if other owners are interested.

TheQuietOne
27-06-2007, 09:02 PM
I have a bubble or two around the drivers side windscreen washer jet - 2001 car.

I shall explore Honda's attitude to this when I get Y1 serviced in a couple of weeks time.

I'm more than happy to help with lobbying Honda if other owners are interested.

I seriously think we should - afterall we are all serious owners of a serious car, and I think the paint warrenty should cover this! Having said that for the time being I'm happy to stick with my original paint and the bubbles but it would be good to at least explore the oportunity of having the problem rectified!

Senninha
27-06-2007, 09:08 PM
I'd guess front end!

How could you see from there? Can you tell which side too?

Jokes aside, I'll help support this if you need names

regards, Paul

TheQuietOne
27-06-2007, 09:13 PM
How could you see from there? Can you tell which side too?

Jokes aside, I'll help support this if you need names

regards, Paul

Secret powers...;)

Cool - maybe this will gather some momentum then, we'll see! I might start a new thread with a poll perhaps for a general show of hands....

Sebringbug
28-06-2007, 09:07 AM
I have the very same but in a different place and I have been meaning to take it up with Norton way when I get it serviced. Mine's a 2000 and has had absolutely no incidents at all - James and I polished it from head to toe last month and every single red part of the car has tinted clear coat, which you only get on a factory sprayed part of the car!

Who is your local garage, maybe we can start a joint campaign...I know there are a few others with the same issues too on here from meets in the past!

My local is Crown Honda in Bushey N London. They're not NSX approved but have 2 NSX trained technicians and Manuel is the kind of person I want looking after my X...thorough obsessive and knowledgable.

Crown have been helpful, it's Honda UK regecting this although I am going down the Customer Relations route as we speak. At the least i want them to inspect...the photo's really don't show much hence no point posting.

I think we're at the...It's aluminium so get last stage...but will update when I have moved it forward...which I will !!!!

WhyOne?
28-06-2007, 09:16 AM
I think we're at the...It's aluminium so get last stage...but will update when I have moved it forward...which I will !!!!

Good luck and look forward to hearing how you get along.

Y1 is 'in' on 21st July for it's annual service. I will speak to the service manager who I know well - he looked after my S2000 for 5 years and persued 3 or 4 warranty claims succesfully on my behalf - including an 'out of warranty' roof issue, ultimately resulting in a 'goodwill replacement' with me paying a nominal £150 fiutting charge.

It is not a big issue on my car by any stretch of the imagination, but if it could be sorted, that would be nice. I'll let you know how I get along.

Sebringbug
28-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Likewise....interesting that it seems to be the newer ones suffering from this... as you say not big issue but no reason to accept it either