PDA

View Full Version : 6 pot calipers off the shelf!

modarr
20-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Merry jaunt down to HiSpec in Dartford. Seems that they have been busy and do an off the shelf 4 pot and 6 pot kit for the X. Just as long as it fits the wheels that is.
Turns out, through shear blind guess work, that my (imported) 8 x 17" OZ Superlega's in 48mm offset for the NSX will allow a 6 pot kit to be fitted on 335mm discs. Will find out for sure when I get it but Richard at HiSpec measured my wheels and swears it will fit.
So at long last it seems you can source a very reasonably priced big brake kit without resorting to wheel spacers and incorrect offsets.

Not expecting miracles but am assuming I will be able to resurrect the dead.

Nothing for the rear though. Looks like a Corsa on fat wheels at the rear with my 18" wheels. Just air where you'd expect disc. I did note the new CTR has the same disease but cleverly, the stone guards behind the disc extend out way wider than the disc to fill out the wheel cosmetically. Clever. I need some of those. Kevin?

Kevin
20-06-2007, 08:25 PM
What caliper are they using? It should be a slimline. I reckon a 340mm disc, would fit under a 17" wheel.

What is the disc thickness as well?

Though if you want to retain perfect balance you need to do what I did.

If you want to be more sure, put a ruler on you brake disc, and meaure out to the inside of your spokes. Let me know what that is.

I've been looking at AP calipers, with a 10mm spacer there's a 6 pot that would fit.

modarr
20-06-2007, 08:52 PM
I new you'd be quick on the draw with this one Kevin.

Slimline it is. 335 is what they offer and disc is 32mm so wider than stock I think. Curved vane design but not floating discs like the Racing Brake kit I have on at present.

The upgrade to 3.2 disc size was noticeable so 335 should be way better. I need to see what you did at the rear. Was thinking Racing Brake upgrade at the back.

I didn't want spacers but anything will fit with spacers...

amo
20-06-2007, 09:54 PM
so how much lol
iv got 2 pc on mine and there 330mm just wonderin will they fit
thx amo

Kevin
21-06-2007, 06:48 AM
I use a 30mm disc on mine. I have 3mm between the spokes and the caliper. So if they are using a 32mm disc then this kit won't fit under OEM 17" wheels, as it will move the caliper out 2mm.

I made my own rear system, with a bracket to move the OEM caliper, and a 328mm rotor. Its perfectly balanced with the front. I would suggest using the RB rear kit, as the replacement parts should be easy to get.

Have you got the 'oversized' Racing Brake system? or the 3.2 sized upgrade?

The hispec calipers I have are not wearing the pads down evenly. I'm also going to need new rotors soon. I've thinking about changing the system and making a AP based one, or getting some GT3 Brembo calipers off ebay, and knocking one up. I'll need spacers for them though.

I new you'd be quick on the draw with this one Kevin.

Slimline it is. 335 is what they offer and disc is 32mm so wider than stock I think. Curved vane design but not floating discs like the Racing Brake kit I have on at present.

The upgrade to 3.2 disc size was noticeable so 335 should be way better. I need to see what you did at the rear. Was thinking Racing Brake upgrade at the back.

I didn't want spacers but anything will fit with spacers...

modarr
21-06-2007, 08:17 PM
The fronts are the 3.2 two piece floating disc upgrade at present.

The RB rears are on my shopping list. Just as well I kept my OZ's eh, buying the OEM 17" would have been a duff move. Phew!

Amo, the 6 pot kit is just under £1300 and the 4 pot around £100 less. The kit is on the HiSpec site. Bear in mind the wheel clearance is tight even with 8" front wheels.

Mo

amo
21-06-2007, 08:44 PM
The fronts are the 3.2 two piece floating disc upgrade at present.

The RB rears are on my shopping list. Just as well I kept my OZ's eh, buying the OEM 17" would have been a duff move. Phew!

Amo, the 6 pot kit is just under £1300 and the 4 pot around £100 less. The kit is on the HiSpec site. Bear in mind the wheel clearance is tight even with 8" front wheels.

Mo

sweet thx
iv got 9j on the front so i think i might be ok
thx amo

rtbm
25-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Modar......a word to the wise.....on the front of hi-spec catolouge is my "X"...they made a front and rear kit for my car.....this then followed

rear kit never supplied...after waiting nine months

front disc warped both sides....did use hard but then that is why I had the kit

set-up locks up all over the place when "tcs" is turned off

caliper can not take "wheel cleaners" when washed

the service from hi-spec is one of the worst I have had...and i have tuned cars for 20yrs

Ask Detlef about after market "big" breake kits it is one thing the nsx is not keen on

I junked the lot at my expense and put on "type-r" set up front and rear with "procar" ap disc set up inc pads

This is not "bad feelings" on my part just the truth....hope this helps another "X-er" out

regards

rtbm

modarr
25-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Hi rtbm

Thanks for the low down. I have heard a very similar story from the last person to deal with HiSpec. I am only dealing with them because they are so local.
I take on board your comments but have already ordered the kit. Since I am very local, I can readily harass them if customer service is lacking.

Did your discs warp after track events? If so, how many events did they last? I am expecting these discs to warp, especially considering the way I drive on track. However if I get a few days out of each one, I'll be satisfied.
If nothing else, larger discs are going to stop better and they are cheaper to import than the Racing Brake kit from the States, so I am warned and may well come unstuck as have others it seems.
Thanks and nice car

Kevin
26-06-2007, 06:56 AM
I got about four - five days out of mine before they warped.

All is not lost though. The calipers are ok, it's the discs that aren't brilliant. Unfortunately 335mm is not a size that AP do. It's always possible to replace the discs with AP ones, have some new bells made up and use them. AP closest sizes are 343 or 330. One good thing about the HiSpec calipers is that the width can be adjusted by replacing the centre piece.

The 6pot caliper and my 4pot use the same mounting points. So if I re-do my system to take some AP discs then you can use the same parts as well.

jamieburke
26-06-2007, 01:33 PM
did you get my PM? Any chance we could chat? I'd appreciate the opportunity to benefit from your expertise.

Regards

Jamie

modarr
26-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Coowell.

Sounds good to me Kevin. You know I'm your best friend when you make bits.

Mo(re development needed)

UltraViolet
27-06-2007, 06:13 AM
My 'big brakes' also failed badly - ended up in the middle of the Dales with a piston stuck out. Rebuild later (this was after only a few miles from new, but a couple of years) - then months after the rebuild, completely dead on one side (this was after new seals, new nipple, new pistons, the lot!) .... and I killed these on a CRX. Plus I'm a girly driver. ;)

TheSebringOne
27-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Sorry for posting this, but whilst we are on the subject of brakes, can anyone enlighten me or comment about my other thread about standard disc replacements for OEMs. Cheers James :(

modarr
27-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Sorry James, my experience is with the 3.0 so no help to you.
Its worth importing the two piece upgrade from the States though.
Mo

Sorry for posting this, but whilst we are on the subject of brakes, can anyone enlighten me or comment about my other thread about standard disc replacements for OEMs. Cheers James :(

TheQuietOne
27-06-2007, 08:58 PM
My 'big brakes' also failed badly - ended up in the middle of the Dales with a piston stuck out. Rebuild later (this was after only a few miles from new, but a couple of years) - then months after the rebuild, completely dead on one side (this was after new seals, new nipple, new pistons, the lot!) .... and I killed these on a CRX. Plus I'm a girly driver. ;)

Sounds particularly painful, if not a little extreme Sammy all in the persuit for good stopping power....sorry I couldn't resist the childish humour!

UltraViolet
27-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Lol .... ahh, but have you ever declined a nice new nipple?

<Childish humour right-back-atcha!>

TheQuietOne
28-06-2007, 06:50 PM
"No comment your honour...."

rtbm
29-06-2007, 06:09 AM
Hi Modar

Brakes warped after one track session at brands, i to live close in Chatham,Kent.....and trust me I rattled the cage more than once....no luck though....still as you say you are going into this with the knowledge that others had fallen first....good luck with brakes...hope your order comes....and I had to use 10mm spacer with after-market wheels....keen to know how you get on.

regards

rtbm.......car looks very different from cover car....cheers Detlef...!!!....for emptying my wallet.....great bloke though!!!

modarr
29-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Hi again rbtm,
My order is ready, took one week! Lack of work seems to be the reason why its quick.

They measured my wheel clearance when I ordered and assured me it will fit. I have 8J 17" Superleggaras on the front. I have told them I do not want to use spacers.

Will probably take a couple of weeks to have it fitted and the truth will out. Brands is very heavy on brakes, I set mine on fire there. Cool down laps were learnt the hardest way.

Mo