PDA

View Full Version : Want more noise?

AR
15-06-2007, 01:06 AM
Time to give something back.

Like the sound of the GruppeM airfilter or the ARC airbox...

No money...

Feel like this guy?

http://www.hedweb.com/animimag/sloth.jpg

A simple irreversible mod to the bottom of the airbox and you will have a NSX-AR airbox. All you need is to cut out the bottom of it and voila!

You get to keep the OEM filter, you get more air, nice throaty sound.

It feels like more power and revs better.

Enjoy it!

YMMV do it at your own risk!:)

Cheers,

Ary

PS: If you can't bear to take a jigsaw to it, I'll do it for you if you are in my area for a few beers!

dan the man
15-06-2007, 06:36 AM
ha ha. ctr boys love mods like this!

AR
15-06-2007, 07:53 AM
At the end of the day it saves buying an $ 800.00 or $ 400.00 airbox.

I will say that it is more based on the 993 than the CTR ;)

Cheers,

AR

DTA-Motorsport
15-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Not wanting to offend anyone but the box is actually closed for two reasons. The obvious reason being to house the airfilters and keep them relatively dust/particle free. The other reason is to keep engine heat out. The hotter the intake air temp, the less power the car will produce. (colder air is more dense and therefore burns with a bigger "bang") By opening up the bottom of the box you're allowing hot air into the intake system.

What I'm currently working on is a revised intake system from the side of the car into the airbox. The main restriction is in the short bend leading from the outside of the car to the airbox. If I can change that to allow more air into the airbox, add a high quality, high-flo filter (like A'PEXi) then I believe the gains are much bigger. This is a work in progress and I'm currently waiting on some parts from AMO's "donor" car.

AR
15-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Dan there is many schoold on this.

I had a gruppe M intake and have plans for the ARC. Both do the same as what I came up with.

If the car is travelling the hot air is moved.

Yes the filter wil get a little dirtier perhaps, but that only means more air.

To actually move more air and produce a ram air effect we would need to be travelling quite fast.

So what we have here is nothing more than a 3 AM rumblings of a man who had too many drinks :), but hey is free and it works by the seat of the pants dynamometer.

Best of all, is FREE :) :) :)

Cheers,

AR

Kevin
15-06-2007, 12:23 PM
There's a third reason, to keep the noise down for the average customer.

So you're working on an air scoop just like Dali and SoS already sell?

Bends in pipes doesn't cause that much of a restriction to flow. Sudden changes in pipe size causes much more restriction.

Not wanting to offend anyone but the box is actually closed for two reasons. The obvious reason being to house the airfilters and keep them relatively dust/particle free. The other reason is to keep engine heat out. The hotter the intake air temp, the less power the car will produce. (colder air is more dense and therefore burns with a bigger "bang") By opening up the bottom of the box you're allowing hot air into the intake system.

What I'm currently working on is a revised intake system from the side of the car into the airbox. The main restriction is in the short bend leading from the outside of the car to the airbox. If I can change that to allow more air into the airbox, add a high quality, high-flo filter (like A'PEXi) then I believe the gains are much bigger. This is a work in progress and I'm currently waiting on some parts from AMO's "donor" car.

TheSebringOne
16-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Ary, you aiming for the key part in Texas chainsaw massacre! Air box & engine cover cut up! On this subject about getting more air into the engine means louder noise & alledged more power, does the engine not need retuning to get the fuel to air ratios correct? Ary have you had this more power DIY theory tested on a rolling road? Infact if SOS & Dali already sell pipes to divert more air from the side intakes, I assume on Prime, theres info on this alledged increase of BHP?

AR
16-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Well I have used my BUTT Dynamometer :) and it "feels" faster. As to the ECU I followed the same procedure as when I have installed other intake parts, take out clock fuse for a few and the ECU should relearn anything it needs.

Honestly I have no proof whatsoever that there will be more or less power. There is more air coming in and when the car is moving, that air will be fresh. Apparently having a "shroud" around the filter allows a supply of air readily available. Or so they seem to claim.

Cheers,

AR

TheSebringOne
16-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Butt dynometer? You mean your ar _ e! ;) So its purely by feel or mental feeling? So as part of your X going on a diet, what has it shed? or lost? Are you going down the fave subject of Pauls, CF ? :rolleyes:

reg
18-06-2007, 09:34 AM
The main restriction is in the short bend leading from the outside of the car to the airbox. If I can change that to allow more air into the airbox, add a high quality, high-flo filter (like A'PEXi) then I believe the gains are much bigger.

Cantrell already sell an airbox like this (and say exactly the same about the bend in the stock system), it makes more noise but tested back to back on a dyno it does pretty much nothing. Also if you are getting into scoops to try and ram air the induction you will find there is not sufficient room in the side pods for anything of use. Using scoops can also give problems if you use the car in wet weather or decide to drive through some standing water. I would say cutting the airbox is as effective as 99% of the stuff that is sold out there and the only really affective upgrade is a GT scoop which is a true cold air intake although is a bit fugly on a road car IMO. When these companies advertise gains (if there are any) they are going to be from using uni-filters or the like.

AR
18-06-2007, 11:12 AM
I would say cutting the airbox is as effective as 99% of the stuff that is sold out there and the only really affective upgrade is a GT scoop which is a true cold air intake although is a bit fugly on a road car IMO. When these companies advertise gains (if there are any) they are going to be from using uni-filters or the like.

Those were my sentiments. I did notice that it resonates differently, just like the Gruppe M. I was happy with that one but it did not "flow" with my plans.

End of the day it costs nothing, and I heve not seen anyone do it to the NSX box before. May be I am mad, but hey I got a spare uncut airbox one too LOL!

Cheers,

AR

AR
18-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Butt dynometer? You mean your ar _ e! ;) So its purely by feel or mental feeling? So as part of your X going on a diet, what has it shed? or lost? Are you going down the fave subject of Pauls, CF ? :rolleyes:

So far not much done as I am working flat out at the moment. CF :rolleyes: I think I'll hold on until I get some headers, but is getting tempting!

Cheers,

AR

amo
18-06-2007, 10:09 PM
well as every 1 knows mine is all open and its hks but i will be gettin the GT 1 soon as i got some more money

thx amo

ps bought a new filter when at jts and car feels faster