PDA

View Full Version : Speed limiter or something else?

vic
05-12-2004, 09:36 AM
Hmmm, this is strange.

For some reason, my nsx (*** import) will hit an upper limit of 120 mph (@4.5k rev). This cannot be a standard feature on the uk spec cars. Do you guys know if this is a feature of the japanese cars? Any thoughts as to how I can delimit it, if it is indeed a speed limiter? Or do you guys think it's something else?

thanks

BrownBear
05-12-2004, 03:48 PM
Hi,

I think all JDM cars are limited to 115Mph - if you check out the back of any car magazine there will be adverts for people who can delimit them.

This only costs about £45 (or it did when I had my prelude done),

Cheers,
Joe

modarr
05-12-2004, 07:49 PM
Might be of interest, but my import MX5 hits a 115mph limiter at the Autodrome. Fix involves removing a small screw from behind the instrument cluster. I don't know whether it would be something similar on the NSX..... its not likely to be much more complex.

Mo

ctrlaltdelboy
05-12-2004, 09:07 PM
All Japanese cars are limited by law to 180 KM/H

189 KM/H is equal to 112 MPH which is within normal speedo over-reading inaccruacies of the figs given of 120 and 115 above.

one of the simplest methods used on import cars to solve both this issue and the issue of the speedo and odo reading in KM/H instead of MPH is to buy a gearing device to place in line between the speedo and the speedo cable gearing the revolutions down (by 5/8 i think) so that on a KM/H dial the numbers being pointed to by the needle now reflect MPH instead - this has the knock on effect of moving the kicking in of the limiter to 180 MPH (although as far as the car is concerned there is no difference - car reaches 180 - limiter kicks in)