PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool Victoria insurance

Kevin
04-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Having just come off the phone with a supervisor at LV insurance I am announcing the following.

LV insurance no longer cover modifications to cars. On the 19th Nov 2004 their policy on mods has changed. Those with policies before this date with cars that have modifications, will be covered, but no further mods are allowed.

Track days are not covered. They never have been, despite what phone operators have said.

I have been asked by the person I spoke to, that anyone with a policy with them, and has mods to the car, contact them and let them know what mods are made. This will avoid any confusion in future. Any write off claims made on a modded car, will only pay out the value of the original car.

I was talking to them about a different matter, and brought up this subject.

DamianW
04-12-2004, 05:55 PM
Track days are not covered. They never have been, despite what phone operators have said.

That is massively annoying. I asked them to show that they covered track days in writing, and have to admit to being suspicious when they refused to do so (but more than one phone operator assured me I was covered). Do any insurers cover track days now? I can't think of any. What do other owners do, just take the risk?

ctrlaltdelboy
04-12-2004, 06:18 PM
my policy is with Highway, arranged through Greenlight Insurance (http://www.greenlightinsurance.com/) in Brentwood.

they were one of the few who would cover the car with all the mods and the premium (£1100 ish) was comparable with the others who were quoting, however it was the trackday cover that I was looking for and that they offered which swung it for me.

basically, for any trackday I call them up in advance, tell them date, venue and organiser, they charge me £80 and send a covernote for the day with the exact same level of cover as on the road but with the excess doubled to £900.

hope that helps

by the way - to put the premium quoted above into context, when the car was completely standard I was paying £650 with direct line.

david_f
14-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Great tip Darren - you're forgiven! I've been paying £175-200 per track day for insurance separately. Ouch!

ctrlaltdelboy
14-12-2004, 11:08 PM
no probs David - here to help :wink:

Flinty
14-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Has anyone ever thought about setting up an Insurance Scheme for NSX's?

I was in the TVR Owners club for a while, who had a very good and cost effective scheme through A. Manning Limited (a broker). This covered the usual stuff, but also included free Track Days, where these are organised by the Owners Club.

I suspect if we canvassed opinion and sent them a list of all members on this site (Data Protection permitting), they may be able to do something for us. I suspect NSX's are a better 'risk' than TVR's..... ?

ctrlaltdelboy
14-02-2005, 09:05 PM
good idea in principle Flinty, but no insurer would do a scheme for such small volumes - the target market is way to small even if we could convince an insurer of a good take up rate among club members.

DamianW
12-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Tried Greenlight, they wouldn't insure me (value of car).

Renewed with Norwich Union, maximum excess applied, discount for second car = £900.

Reasonable I guess for a 2001 car. Mileage quoted at 8k per year.

Its having a 3 year service tomorrow, this is a bad week for my bank balance.

Given up on trackday insurance, decided after Rockingham that I'd never really drive it on a trackday because it represents too much money to me. Had more fun in a hired Caterham anyway.

AnArtist
12-04-2005, 12:05 PM
Sorry this may be a bit too late for your bank balance, but these guys have always been good to me, what ever the vehicle!
http://www.a-plan.co.uk/
I use the Abingdon branch even though I live in Cumbria...

trackdemon
12-04-2005, 01:38 PM
I'm approaching renewal time too - just got a very good quote from Adrian Flux (<£700, others >£900) BUT they won't give protected no claims and the excess is £750. Trying to decide.... any others worth trying?

david_f
12-04-2005, 02:24 PM
For what it's worth, these guys reckon that if you find a cheaper quote, they’ll refund the difference… www.nationwide.co.uk

modarr
12-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Aon will insure a modified car and cover trackdays with an extra payment of £25.
Premium around £800 Classic car policy

Trackday excess around 10 to 20% value of car though.

Mileage limit 5000, S&D but occasional commute (2 days a week) allowed.

Insured my MX5 through them for £300 with only £80 extra for supercharging and serious modification.

NSXGB
16-04-2005, 09:12 AM
http://www.moneysupermarket.co.uk is worth a try to narrow down your search.

I just got quotes from £353 - £1000+ for a 3000cc 1993, garaged, RH10 postcde, full NCD, 5K limited, 35+, etc. £1000 excess though.

UltraViolet
17-04-2005, 11:52 AM
I got several quotes and some were cheaper - but best deal for me was through Livingstones as they offer Cherished car policies with agreed value. Basically you need to send photos to prove the condition of your car, then they will agree a realistic value (rather than Parkers guide prices :? ) on good cars.

My '91 car is in very very nice condition (even picked up a few prizes 8) ) and as such a market value of circa £15k would be insulting and certainly not replace my car should anything happen........

So I pay circa £500 and if the worst happens - I know how much my car has been valued at and so no argument.

Jason Livingston is an enthusiast himself as well so nice chap to do business with - how often can you say that about an insurance company!!