PDA

View Full Version : Lowering springs

TheSebringOne
06-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Found these while looking at clutch kit for sale on fleabay on the other thread (Sorry for pinching em Y1!) Has anyone fitted these or similar ones? They claim to lower the whole car by 1 inch, are there any related problems, like putting stress on other suspension parts? Obviously apart eating your front spoiler more! :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220100360993&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr12_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=220114660275&itemcount=12&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&usedrule2=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

gumball
06-06-2007, 07:09 PM
If its going to stiffen the suspension every part of the car is going to be under more stress, like bushes and ball joints all the way through to interior trim and plumbing, should be fine though ;)

Kevin
07-06-2007, 11:39 AM
If you just want to lower, without going for track suspension then these should be fine. They are Comptech ones, who's quality is top notch.

The car will need an alignment after the change. The only other problem you get afterwards is trying to get a jack under the car to lift it.

TheSebringOne
08-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks Kevin. Think I might give these a miss if I can't get my jack underneath if get a puncture or I could carry a trolley jack in the boot, but that weighs at least 15kg! ;)

dan the man
08-06-2007, 09:48 PM
dont forgetv by lowering springs your dampers are mismatched to your springs.

gsuds
08-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Found these while looking at clutch kit for sale on fleabay on the other thread (Sorry for pinching em Y1!) Has anyone fitted these or similar ones? They claim to lower the whole car by 1 inch, are there any related problems, like putting stress on other suspension parts? Obviously apart eating your front spoiler more! :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220100360993&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr12_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=220114660275&itemcount=12&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&usedrule2=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

And the standard set-up pretty good on real-world stuff like speed bumps; my lowered MX5 certainly wasn't!

G

TheSebringOne
08-06-2007, 10:04 PM
You mean new dampers are needed if you get new lowering springs? If so, I don't want to sell one of my organs! If its a mix match, then ride & handling would be compromised or worse ?! :(

dan the man
09-06-2007, 08:27 AM
basically james..

When u put on lowering springs your dampers compress a bit and always start from the compressed state in a way.

So the first part of travel on very small bumps that usually can soak it up as very light is compressed and the damper is firmer so u can get a jiggly ride.

My DC5 was exactly like this, medium bumps rode good but very little stuff jiggled about as the the damper already compressed and was getting stiffer etc.

think thats right...lol
On NSX with being far better suspension might handle it better..

TheSebringOne
09-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Basically Dan, you mean its a more Jiggy ride & firmer, so might handle better when cornering harder, but more crashy over bumpier roads! Is that basically right mate? :quote::yes:

dan the man
09-06-2007, 09:56 PM
err yes in a way. BUT

The NSX having far superior suspension than a mass prioduced DC5 it might be a whole lot better.

forumadmin
10-06-2007, 04:23 PM
I don't agree. A damper is a piston that moves in a tube filled with oil. The piston has some holes in it to allow the oil through. The effect of this is to make it difficult to move the piston, ie. dampen the motion.

OK, so there's a little more to it, the holes have flaps over them, and different sized holes, and flaps, the low and high speed characteristics and bump and rebound can vary. Adjustable dampers by the way allow you to adjust the flaps and or holes.

Basically I don't think it matters from what position the dampers 'start from'.

What you may of seen in the past, is that you have replaced springs that were progressively wound to linear springs. Progressive springs have a small amount of movement at a low spring rate. Then as the spring is compressed more, the low rate of the spring is used up, and the spring rate increases. This part of the spring is used during corners, and rolling the car.

So going to linear springs means the small bumps and dips in the road are going to be flet more, ie the jiggly ride.

The springs in the original ad, said the rate isn't much higher than normal, hence why I believe the ride won't be affected much.

My springs have changed from the standard 170lb/in to 600lb/in. Yes the ride is a little harder.

Damper rates should be matched to spring rates this is true.

basically james..

When u put on lowering springs your dampers compress a bit and always start from the compressed state in a way.

So the first part of travel on very small bumps that usually can soak it up as very light is compressed and the damper is firmer so u can get a jiggly ride.

My DC5 was exactly like this, medium bumps rode good but very little stuff jiggled about as the the damper already compressed and was getting stiffer etc.

think thats right...lol
On NSX with being far better suspension might handle it better..

dan the man
10-06-2007, 05:30 PM
ok thanks for that.It just feels like that in my head etc..

the springs i had were prgressive, slacker at a point then went tighter so supposed to do both jobs little and small.

TheSebringOne
10-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Thanks for that Kevin the spring man! :)

nsxselby
11-06-2007, 06:07 AM
I lowered mine by 30mm i used tunabi springs its make a massive difference you can still get a jack under or you can drive onto something like a small piece of wood to get the clearance,

Rob_Fenn
11-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Not a fan of proggressive springs myself, fine if you are just using it on the road though.