PDA

View Full Version : Clutch - will this do the job? Advice please!

WhyOne?
03-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Whilst Y1's clutch appears absolutely fine, with 45k miles on the clock and an especially flakey US$, it appears prudent to have a replacement sat in the garage just in case.

I have found this OEM clutch on ebay in the US-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-2005-NSX-OEM-CLUTCH-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33730QQihZ012QQitem Z220114660275QQrdZ1

- does this look like:
a/ everything I would need? (Is it wise to replace the flywheel as well??? Anything else??????)
b/ A decent price? (I will offer $600 as 'make an offer' is available)
c/ A legit seller? (They look fine to me!)

Thanks in advance for your comments and help
:)

Senninha
03-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Hi Ian,

Not wishing to tempt fate but have been thinking about doint this myself giventhe $$££ position.

I'm sure someone will jump in, but I thought it best advice to replace the flywheel whenever changing the clutch. This I believe does double the price. Might be worth asking for a price.

Anyone advise please?

regards, Paul

forumadmin
03-06-2007, 09:14 PM
A clutch 'kit' from Honda will include the flywheel. Well it does for the twin plate 3.0 clutch. Though we also have to get a midplate as well, and the pilot bearing.

I don't know if the 3.2 fly is changed.

reg
03-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Anyone advise please?

regards, Paul

I got these prices from JR at Laks for a clutch kit
($)
fly 1694.99
disc 220.87
plate 303.04
bearing 134.90

To me the eBay auction is disc,plate and bearing so from the dealer $650 so a few $$$ more BUT JR will probably be a better shipper? Everyone says replace the flywheel but Mutley didn't and says it is fine. I would examine it for cracks and wear before investing the money myself. However a dealer will just replace everything in the kit as its just not worth the comeback from the customer, not to mention its a great bit of profit there:D

simonprelude
03-06-2007, 09:52 PM
That's a lot of $$'s for a flywheel.

Most garages will not automatically change a flywheel on any other Honda so I can't see that it would be any different on an NSX. It's usually an inspect item on a clutch change and you will be advised if it requires changing.
However I wonder what the delivery time for a flywheel is should you need one when your car is in bits.

Are there any after market flywheels available ??

dan the man
03-06-2007, 10:10 PM
as far as i have read the 30 cars are twin plate and the 3.2s got changed to single plate clutchs but have double syncros on more gears- or something! lol

AR
03-06-2007, 10:13 PM

Most garages will not automatically change a flywheel on any other Honda so I can't see that it would be any different on an NSX. It's usually an inspect item on a clutch change and you will be advised if it requires changing.
However I wonder what the delivery time for a flywheel is should you need one when your car is in bits.

Are there any after market flywheels available ??

There is quite a few aftermarket flywheels, I like this one:

http://www.gt-rom.net/gtrom/advance/frywheel.jpg

From GT-Rom.

Cheers,

AR

forumadmin
04-06-2007, 06:36 AM

Most garages will not automatically change a flywheel on any other Honda so I can't see that it would be any different on an NSX.

It's because on a 3.0litre the only ordering options are the discs themselves, or the whole unit inc flywheel.

The 3.2, is ordered fly, clutch and cover separately. The dual mass flywheel on the 3.2 is special and expensive. It's probably also why there aren't aftermarket 3.2 flywheels as far as I know. However the option is there for a 3.2 litre to replace the clutch and not the flywheel.

The frywheel posted above, is a 3.0litre one.

AR
04-06-2007, 08:01 AM
Kevin,

But one can always:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/drivetrain%5Fperformance%5Fproducts/NSX/Honda/6spd%5Ftwinplateclutch/

Cheers,

AR

forumadmin
04-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Yes one can.

But the original point of this thread was to see if the cheap clutches for sale, would be of any use.

markc
04-06-2007, 12:52 PM
I changed the clutch (myself) on my 3.2 last year. Here's a link to a discussion on it... http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=1079

Honda dealers in the UK are happy to sell you the component parts whereas the US dealers seem to insist on selling a "kit" that includes the flywheel. See SOS's website as an example.

Personally I don't see why you'd change the flywheel just because the clutch has given up so I just changed the pressure plate/cover plate/thrust bearing.

Dual mass flywheels have a hoofing great rubber "damper" connecting the centre section (with the spline that mates to the input shaft) to the outer section that is the clutch mating surface, ringgear etc. The idea is that the damper does exactly that and smooths take up and driveline shunt. The design also makes them heavier than a standard (single mass) flywheel which helps stabilise engine idle at the expense of throttle response.

Anyway mine's been fine but with hindsight I'd have gone for an aftermarket kit with lightened flywheel which would improve throttle response and allow the engine to rev up and down more quickly (if they're not the same thing)... something like the RPS one.

Mark

mutley
05-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Talking of cheap, I'll just like to say that I got my twin plates re-coated by a company in Belfast, and they are still going strong.....at a cost of £25 per plate!!

Jim

Kevin
05-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Well pretty much all these 'sporty aftermarket' clutches do exactly the same thing. They are rebuilt old clutches. So what you have is no different really.

Papalazarou
05-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Well pretty much all these 'sporty aftermarket' clutches do exactly the same thing. They are rebuilt old clutches. So what you have is no different really.

Jesus Kevin, how many more things have you kept from us?:shocked:

mutley
05-06-2007, 07:40 PM

OK in that case, EVERYONE, if you change your clutch I'll have the old plates!!! (or can arrange to get them re-coated)

Jim

Kevin
06-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Jesus Kevin, how many more things have you kept from us?:shocked:

Didn't you know that already? The aftermarket clutches though do have the midplate and flywheel skimmed, for 'freshness'. SoS do a clutch which they say uses new discs, which they have re-lined.

One of the issues with reusing discs is that the springs in them wear. These are the four springs which dampen the engagement. One car I know of had a spring fly out.

If a clutch looks like its based on an OEM one, then the chances are its a rebuilt unit. The ones that look completely different, like the RPS one, and the Exedy's are going to be brand new.

I'll keep more useful bits of information to myself, and release them when I see fit, for maximum shock value. I guess its what 8 years of ownership, reading forums and vendor websites does for you.

reg
06-06-2007, 02:38 PM
One of the issues with reusing discs is that the springs in them wear. These are the four springs which dampen the engagement. One car I know of had a spring fly out.

We call that 'spring roll', or number 42 in the FAQ section of the manual :D

WhyOne?
06-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Might be worth asking for a price.

Ah, this is a quandry!!!

I have asked for a price and got this response:

Hi Ian,
The flywheel is $1689.00 and this comes with the pilot bearing, shipping on this alone would be $49.50 if you were to purchase the clutch and flywheel I would add an additional $30.00 to the clutch shipping.

Thank You,

Christine

Acura Of Lynnwood

This tallies pretty well with the prices reg posted.

What to do for the best???????? It is tempting to just go for the clutch set as I agree with the weight of opinion here that it is hard to see why the flywheel should wear at anything like the same rate as the clutch. However, as Simon rightly points out, if you go down this route and the garage decides, having reduced the car to component parts, that you need a new flywheel, getting one quickly is likely to be an expensive business.

Life is never simple..........

TheSebringOne
06-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Y1, They stated they are geniune new Acura OEMs and not reconditioned units, but like Paul I think they are fantastic value too and I am seriously thinking about getting them too, maybe a group buy? Maybe we can get shipping down with a GB? :rolleyes::)