PDA

View Full Version : Found a nice one!

MattS
20-11-2004, 04:05 PM
After a month or two of intensive searching, I picked up an Imola orange (Yes like Tara P-T had, before anyone reminds me!) 1998 3.2 NSX last weekend.

It's got quite a high mileage (85k) but has been serviced religiously by Honda every 6k miles/6months and seems to be a really nice tight car with no squeaks or rattles etc. I was unsure about the colour at first but it's grown on me significantly.

Some of you may have seen the ad in Exchange and Mart - this is the car that was owned by Autocar for its first year, then subsequently by the magazine group MD. It also appears in the Brooklands NSX book a few times and has John Cooper's signature in the boot!

There now seems to be 4 NSX's lurking in the Bexley area - 2 red, 1 black and 1 orange. Mo has already led me astray - the engine cover went yesterday.. I agree that the water bottle needs either spraying black or swapping - any ideas anyone?

Thanks to all those who gave me food for thought about service histories etc. Those cars just weren't meant to be for whatever reason.

Matt

Pande
20-11-2004, 10:15 PM
You have chosen my favourite colour mate. I removed my bottle painted the top half with special plastic texture paint. Looks better and you can still read the water level at the bottom. Im from Leeds and own a bodyshop so it wasnt hard for me. If you cant find anyone in your area to sort it, take a trip up in the near future and ill be happy to paint it for you.

MattS
21-11-2004, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the offer - very kind.

It's tempting to stuff the engine bay full of newspaper, leaving the bottle exposed and to spray it like that. I think Mo has got a similar idea so I'll see what he thinks too.

Matt

BrownBear
21-11-2004, 10:37 AM
There now seems to be 4 NSX's lurking in the Bexley area - 2 red, 1 black and 1 orange.

There's a Charlotte Green pearl one as well not far away..(Sidcup) :D

Good choice - my favorite colour too - ask Russell!

Hope to see you around,
Cheers

modarr
21-11-2004, 05:53 PM
Must be something in the water Matt!

I'm considering disconnecting the bottle, spraying with plastic primer and then mat black. SoS do a black 'cover' but its not worth the hastle. I may leave a strip down the side to check level but I usually end up looking down the top to check the level anyway.

A mesh cover of sorts is still under consideration. I could make on out of ali based on my prototype one but is it worth it? should ought to have bought one of KC's CF ones.

NSXGB
22-11-2004, 12:09 PM
....looks like you got a good deal there....

trackdemon
22-11-2004, 02:49 PM
Fantastic deal! £20k for a 3.2 sounds excellent to me, even with the high mileage. Did anyone see the autocar s/h NSX vs 350Z test a while back?

david_f
22-11-2004, 05:34 PM
Good for you Matt! I assume you are the guy with the broad smile I've seen driving through Eynsford a couple of times in the past week ('R' reg is it?) I was in my 4x4 at the time (so you won't have noticed me). Mine only really comes out for track days. I'm in Otford by the way. Welcome to the club! Regards, David.

MattS
22-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the welcome chaps! £22k but so far a bargain!

David I'm embarrassed now - I overtook a 4x4 yesterday on the 'straight' between Otford and Eynsford. I think it was a Mitsubishi Shogun - perhaps it was you? As you know there aren't many roads around here where a new NSX driver can put his foot down safely - motorway slip roads only last so far! I think that I'm going to have to look into taking the car onto a track like the rest of you. Does anyone know if Brands Hatch does anything suitable?

That's 6 NSX's in the space of a few miles - I always thought that this was a good neighbourhood!

david_f
23-11-2004, 12:56 PM
Funny but I've had mine since March this year and yours is the only other one I've seen on the road. I've also been down to Le Mans and done 13 track days this year - and not a sausage! We regard to track days, yes indeed Brands and many others do such excellent events - in truth the only time you'll really appreciate the car. Get yourself subscribed to 'Circuit Driver' (www.circuitdriver.com) for a full calendar of events and organisers. Enjoy! Regards, David.

Kevin
23-11-2004, 05:26 PM
There were at least two NSXs at LeMans this year. One from this group.

There's another track day that a couple of us are going to at Bedford, on the 11th Dec. Same as we just did on the 20th Nov.

One of the NSXs going comes up from Bexley.

Bedford makes a good place for your first day, and there will be a couple of NSXers there to show you the way round!

kowalski
24-11-2004, 01:08 AM
I was at Le Mans this year with mine, and will be next year as well

Leigh

ctrlaltdelboy
24-11-2004, 09:21 AM
Does anyone know if Brands Hatch does anything suitable
Matt, there's trackdays at Brands this Saturday(27th Nov) plus December 19th (Sunday) and Jan 30th (Sunday) all with easytrack - see here for details (http://www.easytrack.co.uk/events/allevents.asp?type=ALL&page_id=0)

also there's bookatrack (http://www.bookatrack.co.uk/-pE) but they don't have any brands days coming up

however, as Kevin says, Bedford is an excellent place for trackday virgins, as there is virtually nothing to hit if you get it wrong - check RMA here (http://www.rma-limited.com/diary.php) where you'll see the Sat 11th Dec event listed which Kevin mentioned

trackdemon
24-11-2004, 09:58 AM
There's a trackday at Bedford this Saturday on the full GT circuit, only £140. Strongly considering going along....

DamianW
24-11-2004, 10:59 AM
Goldtrack have a day at Silverstone (full circuit I think) on the 30th which I was half thinking about. Good track for the NSX I'd have thought.

david_f
24-11-2004, 11:02 AM
Yep, I've done the Silverstone GP circuit twice this year and it's an experience not to miss!

DamianW
24-11-2004, 11:09 AM
Yep, I've done the Silverstone GP circuit twice this year and it's an experience not to miss!

Did it in my Elise. People that say Silverstone is boring are way off I reckon, I loved every minute. My problem was not enough power - I was hassling all sorts of exotica in the corners, but they'd just leave me for dead on the straights. Very frustrating (in fact I ended up getting told off for outbraking two cars into a corner :oops: ). Not a problem I'd expect in the NSX!

MattS
25-11-2004, 11:38 AM
Thanks again chaps! It seems that there's a lot of opportunities for taking the NSX on the track. I think that I'll get used to the car first on the road for a month or two and in the meantime I'll try and and come along to a track day as a spectator to get a feel for things.
Thanks again,
Matt