PDA

View Full Version : Some track day footage

forumadmin
28-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Just pootling round a track.

Clicky me (http://www.isaie.co.uk/TrackdayFun2.wmv)

Silver Surfer
28-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Can't take my eyes of the irritating crack on the windscreen. ;)

Did you take the Porsche then? Your film ran out as you approach the U bend? :evil:

SS

Senninha
28-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Mmmm, interesting. I've not driven the longer versions at Bedford and having watched this a couple of times it looks as though parts of it no longer flow together like they do when seperated.

The top half still looks good and is one of my favourite parts from the hairpin at the end of the straight down to the new dog leg.

Judging by the soundtrack, I think you had more to give if needed ;)

regards, Paul

NSX 2000
28-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Circuit looks very tight and twisty. Is it?

forumadmin
29-05-2007, 06:27 AM
Did you take the Porsche then? Your film ran out as you approach the U bend? :evil:

SS

Yes. I did.

forumadmin
29-05-2007, 06:43 AM
Mmmm, interesting. I've not driven the longer versions at Bedford and having watched this a couple of times it looks as though parts of it no longer flow together like they do when seperated.

The top half still looks good and is one of my favourite parts from the hairpin at the end of the straight down to the new dog leg.

Judging by the soundtrack, I think you had more to give if needed ;)

regards, Paul

The new sections are a pain. The second hairpin is so tight, there's nothing to do, but brake hard and get round. They've taken away the trickiest corner of the course, which is a shame as it was a challenge to get right.

I can and have been quicker. However after a few laps at a faster pace, the tyres overheat. Also all the clips were edited to show the more interesting moments, rather than me driving around by myself. So I can only go as fast as the car in front in the bits you see.

forumadmin
29-05-2007, 06:48 AM
Circuit looks very tight and twisty. Is it?

Well its a manufactured track. It is Bedford Autodrome if you didn't know already. It is mainly made up of straights, with corners. There's no real 'flow' to the track like race circuits have. It is hard on brakes, as a 120mph straight is often ended by a tight corner. The track has recently changed. It is slightly longer, which gives more space, but the two new corners are really slow, and have no decent 'line' through them.

It's a good track for big cars. There's enough straight to use the power, which keeps the Elises off.:)

MattS
29-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Thank you. Very entertaining!

It didn't sound as though you hit top revs much at all. Shouldn't the porsche driver have pulled over to let you pass way before? You were all over him!

forumadmin
29-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Yes the Porsche could of moved over a lot earlier. Some people think you only move over on the long straights. In reality if he held back exiting any of those corners I would of been past. Porsches only move over for other Porsches (IMHO).

I didn't need to hit 'top revs' when following the other cars. When I am by myself I do. I can confirm with Mo that the Mugen ECU does not have a rev limit, or at least not one up to 8500rpm:eek:. The new gearbox meant I was revving up a lot quicker than I have previously been used to. So what you are not hearing is the rev limiter cutting in.

Thank you. Very entertaining!

It didn't sound as though you hit top revs much at all. Shouldn't the porsche driver have pulled over to let you pass way before? You were all over him!

Senninha
29-05-2007, 10:11 AM
I can confirm with Mo that the Mugen ECU does not have a rev limit, or at least not one up to 8500rpm:eek:. The new gearbox meant I was revving up a lot quicker than I have previously been used to. So what you are not hearing is the rev limiter cutting in.

Hi Kevin,

Is the g'box adding to performance as you had hoped? How do you like the new LSD?

Since I changed the exhaust and intake, mine has always been happy to rev to 8500 - cut out is at 8700:D still lower than my old DC2 which would hit 9000+ all day everyday without complaints.

regards, Paul

forumadmin
29-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Really?

Redline is at 8000, and limiter has always been at 8300. I didn't think 3.2s were any different. Over 8k and getting close to 9k is not good for the oil pump, which is made from recycled tin can metal.

I have a shift light still to fit, another one of those things I bought years ago. It's moved up the list of priorities now though.

Senninha
29-05-2007, 12:16 PM
These are not numbers visited frequently, particularly as mine delivers peak power earlier in the rev range. In fact, since the mods, best changes are 7600 as there is little to be gained by holding on for longer.

regards,

markc
29-05-2007, 04:36 PM
I agree Kevin, the 3.2's are limited to 8300rpm (mine looks more like 8200) just like the 3.0's

Paul, I would suggest that you've either got a reprogrammed or completely differant ECU fitted to your car OR a rev counter that overreads.

I wouldn't like to say that a stock motor is safe at 8700rpm even if the ECU will let it?
The usual weak point (not necessarily with the NSX) is rod bolts that stretch at these high revs... the result a little while later is not nice :(

Mark

Papalazarou
29-05-2007, 04:56 PM
These are not numbers visited frequently, particularly as mine delivers peak power earlier in the rev range. In fact, since the mods, best changes are 7600 as there is little to be gained by holding on for longer.

regards,

If I changed up at 7600 the 3.2's start to escape:p

Cheers,

James.

forumadmin
29-05-2007, 05:02 PM
The weak point with the NSX is the oil pump. I'm planning on getting a Dali billet one, when they are back in stock.

Lankstarr
29-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the vid Kevin, a good watch and nice to see all those common porkaz being eaten up mmm crackling.

Oil pumps aside I was once told that a DC2 ITR engine is revved to 13,000rpm on the block in the factory so screaming them to 9000 shouldn't be a problem.

Surely the NSX engine would have been tested in a similar fashion??

Or was I just naive and ready to lap up a load of bs!?

anyway, nice vid Thanks

L*

forumadmin
29-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Oil pumps aside I was once told that a DC2 ITR engine is revved to 13,000rpm on the block in the factory so screaming them to 9000 shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe, but then that's a Type-R engine, and ours aren't.

Senninha
29-05-2007, 08:21 PM
The weak point with the NSX is the oil pump. I'm planning on getting a Dali billet one, when they are back in stock.
Please make this a GB when stock is available.

would suggest that you've either got a reprogrammed or completely differant ECU fitted to your car OR a rev counter that overreads.
I'm unaware of any changes having been made to the ECU. Having made enquiries about doing this I would say it is highly unlikely. I would therefore agree with you Marc, that the guage is being over genorous with its reading.

I was once told that a DC2 ITR engine is revved to 13,000rpm
That would be one of the benefits of a hand built and blue printed engine

regards,

markc
29-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Re the Type R/Blueprinted thing, it's not either of these per see. If the components are designed to rev this high it's fine, if they're not then something WILL fail/break.

Personally I very much doubt that a stock DC2 bottom end is good for 13K rpm under load for any length of time! This is into the realms of pure race and motorcycle engine designs which have completely differant internal loads and subsequently differant power delivery characteristics.

Blueprinting (any engine) will add a small margin over the inherant design spec, if you want to go further you need completely differant parts.

W.R.T gear what revs to change up at, if you're after wringing the last once of performance out of almost any car, or indeed bike, you need to change off the limiter to get the most acceleration out of the next ratio.
This is relatively easy to demonstrate with a graph overlaying engine power (or torque) to gear ratios. Very rarely will the power/torque delivered by the engine overcome the higher gear ratio to deliver as much or more torque to the wheels compared to the the lower ratio at higher revs.

Nice video tho' :)

Mark

TheSebringOne
03-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Very impressive Kevin! That was a standard 997 Carerra S, not 4S Porker you were badgering? It seemed to have maybe a sports zorst too? Have you had your X on a Rolling Roll? If so or not, do you know what kind of BHP you are getting and I know you have stripped out your X a little when I had a look at Fest, so do you know its weight? Cheers :) Wandered if the crack in the windscreen was just enough to stop you overtaking the Porker!? ;)