PDA

View Full Version : Papa's Japfest write up 2007.

Papalazarou
21-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Papa's Japfest write off 2007.

Kevin, here's my write-up of the event, it's a bit long I'm afraid.

Well I never thought we'd get so many NSX's in one place.

The day started at 4.10am for me when Sally's alarm went off (IMHO about an hour early) and I couldn't get back to sleep because I had that 'Christmas morning feeling.'
Sally, TQO and myself left Porlock (small village at the bottom of a very steep hill, 7 miles for North Devon) and drove to Taunton to meet Silverbullet and NSXeter. We were late and I got the dud petrol pump, once I'd remembered which side my filler cap was on (sleep deprivation), we were off.

The next hour saw us cruising up the M5 in a four car convoy with beautiful sunshine, until we collected Amo at Gordano and the sky began to look unsettled and his orange monster started throwing rocks at us!
We made CC before 7.30am and TQO and I parked up about 20 yards from what we later realised was the stand. Doh.
The next two hours were spent handing out tickets and stand passes. It was quite impressive when a larger convoy of NSX's turned up and luckily most of the cars arrived before 10.00am.

The stand as you all know was not in a prime position, especially for those who didn't like walking or were heavily pregnant!

We finally got settled and Paul (Senn...) made sure that all the cars were facing the right way.
From then on it threatened to rain but it never really amounted to much which was lucky because some of us were just about to go on track.

We went to the briefing and collected our cars for the sound test. This was hampered slightly as half the track cars were blocked in, ironically by an NSX type R! (damn they get everywhere).
In a hasty decision, I decided to take the roof off to allow more head room, climbed back in the car then rolled up in the pit lane ready to go.

I must admit that the lack of sleep and thousands of people looking at us was making me a little nervous, but as soon as we got going all was forgotten..........

Until we got to the end of the first lap to find about half a dozen NSX's parked up in front of us and Simon's (that's Siofkent) NSX facing the wrong way with extensive body modifications.
I had no idea that you could flip an NSX and really couldn't take in what I was seeing for the first couple of minutes.

Luckily Simon had survived and the rest of us waited until the wreckage had cleared. This was fine until the rain started to come in and my decision to go topless on track seemed a bit rash. Sally held paper over the stereo controls and I mopped water from the steering wheel.

Luckily it was just a few drops and we were soon flying around the track.

By the time we arrived back at the stand it was mid afternoon and people were beginning to clean their cars ready for the HUK photoshoot. Luckily Chen (sorry still don't know how to spell your name) had graciously supplied a few crates Evian which made excellent washing water despite costing £10.00 a bucket!

By 4.45pm we all convoyed out of gate C and drove in at gate B for the photoshoot.
Because I was leading I had the most amazing site in my rear view mirror of over 35 NSX's following behind me.

We were soon all lined up on the start finish straight surrounded by photographers (Ok about three magazine guys and us, but it sounds more impressive)!

The finale saw us propped up next to our cars in a sort of 1950's cigar advertisement pose, less mustaches and top hats.

Before we left C.C I got a call from James (TheSebringOne) who passed on the good news that we had won the best stand.......more of that later.

The day was over by around 5.30pm and we were all heading in different directions. Some of us went back to Simon and Lisa's for a BBQ. A relaxing couple of hours before we cruised home.

The car of the show for me was the 03 Imola orange targa; that is a classy car and looked fantastic with the facelift kit.

My 'picture of the day' was leading a short convoy between the gates and the photoshoot.

The most exciting part was following Ian (SilverBullet) round the track for the last few laps.

Obviously the most traumatic was seeing Simon's car in bits on the track.:shocked:

I think I've said my thank you's on a different thread, but thanks to everyone for coming, thanks to Matt for being such a good P.A/agony Aunt (next year it's your turn) and for sorting out the name cards and the number plate blanks.
To Simon and Lisa for organizing the BBQ.
To my Dad for getting me to call HUK and to everyone at the BBQ for pointing out that I'm currently living back with my parents.....Bastards, I'll never forgive you!:D
Oh and to Kevin for all his hard work on the forum.

Finally, whilst we were chatting at the end of the day, we were discussing whether we should do this event again. The thought was that perhaps leave it a while, maybe do something
bi-annually (isn't that what they do in adult films?)

However, our prize for winning best stand is...............£500.00 worth of free stand and/or track passes for 2008.
This means we can do next year for free, although at this point I don't really want to think about it. We've also been promised a prime site and a parade lap.

So what was the final score? No I don't mean Chelsea and Man U (apparently that was the FA Cup was on the same day),

I mean how many NSX's did we get? My final tally was 38 at any one time on the stand and 40 NSXCB member cars altogether.

Saturday made me feel that NSXCB is a unique club with a lot of enthusiasm which I'm proud to be part of.

Cheers,

James

Please feel free to add the stuff I missed.......................................

AR
21-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Congratulations on winning the best stand. I read a few other clubs are moaning, but me thinks the are just jelous.

Cheers,

AR

SILVER BULLET
21-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Firstly many thanks to James,Matt,Kevin and all who attended on the day,Penny and I enjoyed meeting everyone.I have only had my car since Feb this year,I still have to pinch myself to make sure im not dreaming,what brilliant cars they are,aren't we lucky ?.:)

Si,I was absolutely gutted to see you in the wreakage of your car and can only reiterate what has been said by everyone else,we are so pleased that you are OK.:)

James, im glad that you enjoyed following me around the track,I was just trying to stop you from putting red paint on my rear end !!!

Amo, thanks for sitting in with me on the track, you were good company and your navigating was great,sorry that you weren't able to show us what your beast of a car can do !.Cheers All ,Ian (SILVER BULLET)

TheQuietOne
21-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Well...

James without wanting to sound sicophantic I really do take my hat off to you for all the hours you put in pulling this together. It was great having a few days off work and coming down to stay in your beautiful neck of the woods - and all the help you gave with my car sums what a top bloke you are. It was an absolute honour to help (in a small way) organising the event, and as I said on the phone I'm happy to take over the reigns for next year with a little help from a few of you I have already targeted if no one minds?!

The NSX is more than a car as AR wisely once said, and the fact that I haven't met one person in the club the I don't like just compounds the great ownership experience. Seeing all those cars together which accounts in my estimations for over 10% of all the remaining cars in the country is something that we should all be proud of.

A great day, some great friends and a truly special car really sums it up for me.:)

Regards, Matt.

P.S. Kevin it really is a great service you provide for us here - thanks as always!

reg
21-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Congratulations on winning the best stand. I read a few other clubs are moaning, but me thinks the are just jelous.

Cheers,

AR

Can I be the first to say b*ll*cks to anyone who moaned about the NSX stand getting the award. The X is, was and always will be Japans best foot forward at proving how engineering can overcome emotion in getting a bunch of mechanicals from a to b very rapidly with the mimimum of fuss. What probably hurts more is that for the price of the average 'white goods' scoobaru' you can join a small group of people driving something that is genuinely amusing and will never be repeated (I dont think) from Honda?

At the show you could have filled the paddock with 350z's, Skylines etc but stick 38 NSX's in a field outside McDonalds or anywhere else and its royal flush. Sorry, its just life.

Doesn't make it any less amusing to me:laugh:

simonprelude
21-05-2007, 08:52 PM
IF any of the other stands actually had done anything to try and be different that just a bunch of cars parked in an area of grass or tarmac than I could probably agree with them.

However, personally I didn't see any great attempt by any other club so never mind.

Anyway, who knows why the judges gave it to us, possibly for all the hard work and effort to actually get that many examples of such a rare car together.

Anyway, well done all.

britlude
21-05-2007, 08:53 PM
better the NSX, rather than trying to remember which blue scooby is yours!!! LOL!!!

Silver Surfer
21-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Top write-up James!!

Gives those like myself who can't make it for this historic day a real emotional read.

Look forward to next years effort.:yes::thumbsup:

Absolutely deserve to win the awards just by the sight of the photos alone!:pleased::proud:

The photo of the Red 'X's leading the frontline on the track photo is the dogs b@ll@ck$ .

SS

gumball
22-05-2007, 05:07 PM

Cheers,

AR

lol, who else would it be, it was the only decent car there :laugh:

Minch
22-05-2007, 07:50 PM
How gutted am I that I couldn't make it . . . .

Well done everybody!

amo
22-05-2007, 09:00 PM
well thx for every1 its was great sorry i could not be on the stand
but really good to meet every 1
SILVER BULLET aka ian you are 1 awsome driver i dont think i would have driven that well it was a massive honour to get in with you
thx again and hi to mrs ian
so papa is that why you would not over take me lol had to keep you back lol

thx amo

TheSebringOne
02-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Better late than never as just back from my hols yesterday morning, what a fab & brilliant day at Japfest, meeting all you guys and putting faces to Ids & seeing your Xs. I was going to buy a Hong Kong Fuey T shirt to make me recognisable! I felt so proud & beaming with a smile as we entered the track for the photo shoot. Finally my thanks to all of you, James, Simon, Matt & Kevin. Hopefully get to meet again soon! Regards James :pleased::proud::yes: