PDA

View Full Version : The new addition

indi pearl
03-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Having had the X for a year now I finally gave in last week to my wifes demand for a new car for herself.
What a result!She tried out an Alpha GTV,a Toyota MR2 and finally an S2K.No hesitation on which to buy,as was obvious from the expression on her face returning from the test drive in the S2K.So this week I have managed to pry the beast away from her twice to see what it can do and compare to the X.
I thought the X was the ultimate "rev monster" but this car is something else for hitting the red line at 9,000.I am still amazed at what Honda can get out of their engines without recourse to forced induction.For raw animal aggresion and power the X wins out but the sheer fun of taking the rag top (roof down) through the gears at 9,000 just makes you want to laugh out load (even over the top of the howling v-tech)

dan the man
03-05-2007, 04:20 PM
yeah SKIPs are class, sound mint with top down. I would have had one but insurance is dearer than the NSX so im doing the thing of my dreams and goinf for an NSX :)

Get some pics up and the insurance is dear because so many have been wrote off so tell the missus to go easy! ha ha

Lankstarr
03-05-2007, 04:58 PM
s2s stick like glue in the dry just watch out a bit when it rains!

Just love those S2s :O) If I had the means for another 2 seater a SC S2 would definitely be the way to go - 240bhp just isn't enough for a convertible!

simonprelude
03-05-2007, 05:36 PM
I'll get mine finished one day :(

Just love those S2s :O) If I had the means for another 2 seater a SC S2 would definitely be the way to go - 240bhp just isn't enough for a convertible!

Lankstarr
03-05-2007, 06:16 PM
When you do.. and have done a load of miles to test her out I'll give you 10k for it :lol:

simonprelude
03-05-2007, 06:44 PM
I might take you up on that !!

When you do.. and have done a load of miles to test her out I'll give you 10k for it :lol:

Senninha
03-05-2007, 08:47 PM
s2s stick like glue in the dry just watch out a bit when it rains!
Providing you warm the tyres! My 04 on bridgestones was not that planted for the first 5 miles of any drive, after that ........ 9k all the way!

Has to have probably the best heating system in any car, roof down all year unless raining IMO.

Hope your good lady really enjoys her new toy.

regards, Paul

Ewan
03-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Welcome to the club, Indi :)

Now get yourself over to http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=25 and introduce yourself ... ;)

indi pearl
04-05-2007, 01:11 PM
After yesterday's "test to make sure everything is O/k" madam snatched back the keys and stated I might get rationed use depending on her deciding I have been "a good boy".However you can guess who will be taking off the wheels this weekend to paint the brake calipers a matching blue to the car!!
Still it does mean I have exclusive use of the X.See you all at Japfest.

dan the man
04-05-2007, 04:19 PM
women, murder.

I get told i cant drive her KA.... its actually quite chuckable fun tho :)

TheSebringOne
04-05-2007, 07:13 PM
It seems the thing to do on this club, is that aswell as owning a X, you probably own a S2 too!! Unfortunately I don't have the room or the money as I already a X, an old Italian Targa, a German 4 X 4 & also a Italian Coupe ! I would love to have a go in a S2000 as I've never driven a chuckable Honda which you S2 owners rave on about ! :(

Ewan
04-05-2007, 08:16 PM
It seems the thing to do on this club, is that aswell as owning a X, you probably own a S2 too!! Unfortunately I don't have the room or the money as I already a X, an old Italian Targa, a German 4 X 4 & also a Italian Coupe ! I would love to have a go in a S2000 as I've never driven a chuckable Honda which you S2 owners rave on about ! :(

James - I'm sure if you were to post over on S2ki and offer a joy ride in your NSX, then you'd find a queue of willing S2k owners ready to oblige you with a passenger ride if not a go behind the wheel :)

TheSebringOne
04-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Ewan, that sounds very tempting! I like your sign regarding the Gals like tops down, suppose you get alot of willing passengers fighting for a ride in the passenger seat eh? ;) Q. Is the S2 still the title holder of the most powerful mass produced NA 2 litre engine in the World? 240ish BHP?! :rolleyes:

mutley
04-05-2007, 10:51 PM
It's funu that there is always the coin-flip idea when it comes to choosing between an NSX and an S2000, with some ending up with both. My other half is talking about wanting a wee sports car now, of the 2 seat convertible variety and I'm trying to steer her in the direction of an S2K.

Just a pity that there are a lot of options and some a lot cheaper ( MX-5 etc)

Jim

TheSebringOne
04-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Jim, for your beloved, you simply cannot go wrong with any Japanese 2 seater convertible sportscar, great reliability, fun & loads of options. The MX5 is a fab car, read somewhere the mark 1 & 2 are simply back to basics fun cars to own, with the MK1 having a cult classic status, then the slightly revised one improves that, before the lardier MK2/3 arrives. Read somewhere that big wheels spoils the ride? Jim, Mutley would laugh at this,I also own a 20 yrs old, but late Bertone/Fiat X19 (restored) !! & when Toyota brought out the Mk1 MR2, they stole the concept & made a vastly improved motor! :D

mutley
04-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Yeah I know, my mate (whose coming to 'fest) girlfriend has an MX-5. You can pick them up pretty cheap these days.

But I'm also in the quandry of thinking about upgrading my 520 for the same shape M5, the only thing stopping me is that I'd rather justify the costs to put into the X.

Jim

Silver Surfer
04-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Jim,

Have you tried the 530d. Nearly as quick on rolling acceleration as an M5 and a lot cheaper. Had a new shape 530d as a courtesy car while my 530i was being touched up and I must admit, I was impressed. Had to drive my 'X' after to confirm it was faster (.... only just ...between 30-80mph).

SS

TheSebringOne
04-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Agreed on the 530D, one of the best 3.0 diesel engines in the world! Tonnes of torque, probably more than the mark1 M5?, mid to late 30s MPG average & insurance would be great. M5 with 400 BHP!!, think you might have to put some bricks in the boot to keep the back end in check! ;)

mutley
04-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Jim,

Have you tried the 530d. Nearly as quick on rolling acceleration as an M5 and a lot cheaper. Had a new shape 530d as a courtesy car while my 530i was being touched up and I must admit, I was impressed. Had to drive my 'X' after to confirm it was faster (.... only just ...between 30-80mph).

SS

It has given me food for thought, and I could do with the economy of an oil burner.... But I was only pondering, as I said, any money I spend on another BM while mine is still in fine order, I would only regret not putting it into the X. So having said that, if my faithful 520 does go pear shaped, I'll keep that in mind.

Cheers

Jim

TheSebringOne
05-05-2007, 02:55 AM
As long as the Beamer is serviced regulary as it will be in your hands & cambelts done, unless chain like the 3?, then it will run on forever, plus a 2 litre should'nt be too bad on the MPG front. Save your pennies for your P & J the X as required or needed. :D

mutley
05-05-2007, 12:38 PM
As long as the Beamer is serviced regulary as it will be in your hands & cambelts done, unless chain like the 3?, then it will run on forever, plus a 2 litre should'nt be too bad on the MPG front. Save your pennies for your P & J the X as required or needed. :D

yeah it's a timing chain rather than belt ( I think all BM's are). I do tend to service it as often as I can, but it has fairly racked up the miles and is now on it's 3rd number plate!(UK, Cyprus, NI) Apart from the odd little squeek it's still running really well, so I think it wil be around for some time yet.

Jim

TheSebringOne
05-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Thats one thing about Beamers or German cars, they're are always over engineered, which means long running life & rust free generally! So your 520 is truely international car then, a bit of a whickers car! ;)

mutley
05-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Aye, you could say that, started off on an "R" plate, from somewhere in London, Shipped out to Cyprus, where I spotted it, bought it, registered it at my adress in Cyprus (Tax free of course) and then shipped it back when I moved here, re-registered in NI, and now I'll have to re-register it again with DVLA, although I'll keep the NI plate on it (disguises the age).

Jim

Ewan
06-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Ewan, that sounds very tempting! I like your sign regarding the Gals like tops down, suppose you get alot of willing passengers fighting for a ride in the passenger seat eh? ;) Q. Is the S2 still the title holder of the most powerful mass produced NA 2 litre engine in the World? 240ish BHP?! :rolleyes:

I only ripped off that logo from someone else on S2ki ;)

When the S2 first came out in late 1999, it had the highest specific output (ie bhp/litre) of any normally aspirated production engine. In Japan, it's rated at 240bhp but Honda UK officially rate the UK spec car at 237, which would put out 118.5 bhp/litre. Performance figures are a little blunted here too - in Japan, it was described as having 0-60 in 5.5s, but official UK figures put it at 6.2 (though I think a few of the mags clocked it with their own timing gear at considerably quicker than that).

I don't think it holds the record any more but it's certainly right up there - the F430 has a 4.3L v8 which delivers 490bhp, but that's "only" 114 bhp/l... the 911 GT3RS does about the same.

One of the downsides to the peaky delivery in the S is the relative lack of torque - but the car drives like any everyday car until you want to nail the rev band, in which case you just drop 2 gears and scream away :)

rgds
Ewan