PDA

View Full Version : 1st to 2nd gearchange baulking

Ken A.
19-10-2004, 05:25 PM
I have recently bought a 2000 NSX 3.2 6 speed with 24k miles. It is in beautiful condition but............

It has just had a new clutch and flywheel fitted under warranty because the downshifts were often impossible as the clutch wasn't disengaging cleanly, making it impossible to come out of gear to select the lower gear. This problem has now been overcome and gearchanges are fine both up and down the box except for the first to second change which is dreadful (it was before the new clutch but I assumed itwould be cured in the process).

The first to second change baulks badly particularly when cold and at low engine revs (below 4500 rpm). Curiously, above this engine speed the change is fine. It seems like a synchro problem to me but the NSX dealer who did the clutch job advises that they checked the synchros at the time and there was nothing untoward. He also says that the first to second change is particularly heavy on the NSX 6 speed. I find this explanation difficult to accept as I don't think Honda would intend for the gears to grate together during the change which is what you can feel and hear.

Does anyone have any helpful comments please ? Is this a type problem?

It really is spoiling enjoyment of the car. I'm even starting off in second gear to avoid the crunch !

Cheers

Ken A.

DamianW
25-10-2004, 09:46 AM
Hmm, mine has quite a grouchy change going from 1st->2nd when cold. It doesn't last long but its not pleasant while it lasts. Once its warmed up, which doesn't seem to take long, its fine.

Sounds like yours is worse though?

Whereabouts are you?

Welshman
25-10-2004, 11:55 AM
Yes mine is hard work until the box has warmed up and even then it's not the smoothest change in the world.

As a general proposition I agree that most of the changes are better when the revs are higher - maybe it's been designed that way - makes sense after all.

Ken A.
26-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Hi there,

Many thanks to Damian W and Welshman for the feedback. It is really useful to compare notes to help establish if a car has a fault or "just" a particular characteristic.

It makes me feel a little better to know that I am not alone with this gearchange issue. I suppose it's all a question of degree but mine is still bad when hot and changing below c.4500 rpm no matter how carefully I take it. If anything it's better not to try and "feel the change" but to simply shift the lever quickly but it seems a bit brutal.

Anyway the dealer has said that it will be covered by the warranty when I'm ready to take it in to them.

By the way, I am near Norwich.

Cheers for now.

Ken A.

DamianW
26-10-2004, 02:25 PM
No worries. Does sound like yours isn't spot on to me. Once mine is warmed up its fine, in fact its quite a slick box.

Wondered where you were in case one of us was nearby and could pop by and compare. Sounds like its getting sorted now though?

david_f
29-10-2004, 02:39 PM
Mine's a late 2000 model with a similar 1-2 change from cold. I've found going from 1-3 until warmed-up as a good workaround. Cheers, David.

Ken A.
08-11-2004, 06:03 PM
David_f,

Thanks for the 1st to 3rd workaround suggestion. Obvious I suppose.

It's better than starting in 2nd and is an easy change even from stone cold. This will keep me "happy" until I can take it in for rectification.

Cheers.

Ken A.

david_f
09-11-2004, 11:19 AM
No worries Ken. That's what this forum's all about. Cheers, David.