PDA

View Full Version : Bumper Repair

Paul
29-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Some of you may recall that towards the end of last year ... the front of my NSX got a little too close to the back of a renault clio ...

Well ... after having considered getting a new bumper ... due to a small crack and slight deformation being the end result of my clio encounter ... along with some rather badly scuffed paintwork ... my brother-in-law told me about a plastic surgeon for cars!

He knows the former owner of the business and after speaking to him passed me on the number and the appropriate person's name that I needed to speak to ... so after some telephone calls and e-mails with pictures ... I had an estimate of ... 'no more than £250 excluding VAT' ... I recently collected my baby after she went under the plastic surgeons skilled hands ... who also fixed a couple of other minor paintwork and plastic faults ... as detailed below ...

A bad scratch a little over an inch long that went through the paint and into the plastic of the near side mirror housing ... a couple of unsightly scuffs on the corner of the rear near side bumper ... a bad gouge of a couple of inches long in the plastic trim under the side of the rear bumper

Unfortunately I only have 'before' photos of the damage to the front bumper ... and have now taken an 'after' shot of the repaired area ... no point in showing after photos of the otehr areas ... just take it from me that the workmanship on all is very good ... so prepare yourself for the 'before' snaps of the front bumper ...

ouch ...
http://www.pauls4wheels.co.uk/images/NSX/Bumper/Before_01.jpg

oh dear ...
http://www.pauls4wheels.co.uk/images/NSX/Bumper/Before_02.jpg

wince ...
http://www.pauls4wheels.co.uk/images/NSX/Bumper/Before_03.jpg

cringe ...
http://www.pauls4wheels.co.uk/images/NSX/Bumper/Before_04.jpg

Now ... get ready to feel a bit better ...

Paul
29-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Following the NSX's trip to surgery ... I now feel somewhat better ...
http://www.pauls4wheels.co.uk/images/NSX/Bumper/After.jpg

Paul
29-04-2007, 05:03 PM
The cost for fixing the damage to the front bumper actually came out at less than £240 including VAT ... the total for all repair work detailed in the first post in this thread was less than £370 including VAT ...

It is always difficult to feel confident about recomending people to do 'cosmetic' work on your pride and joy ... but after seeing the results I feel comfortable sending people to the company that fixed up my minor damage on my NSX ... if you want to have a look at the finished results for yourself if you are looking for simialr work ... let me know and I will see if I can arrange a meet so you can check the quality of the workmanship for yourself.

The Plastic Surgeon
6 Clyst Units
Marsh Barton
Exeter
Devon
EX2 8QW
01392 667722

If you do go to them for a quote ... or even some work ... try and speak to Stuart Power and let him know that Paul Williams recommended them to you after they did some work on his red NSX in April 2007 ... after Paul was recommended to them by Tony Love.

NSXGB
29-04-2007, 09:16 PM
....certainly looks good from the photo's.

TheSebringOne
30-04-2007, 12:35 AM
If you are coming to Japfest, it would be great to have a look at your rejuvenated P & J in the flesh! :D

Silver Surfer
30-04-2007, 12:36 AM
Devon's a bit of a trek though. Probably cost me 200 squids in petrol getting there and back in the unlikely (or likely) event of a damage body work. Probably need to go twice...once to drop the car off and second to pick it up. :(

Nice to know if desperate.

SS

Papalazarou
30-04-2007, 11:35 AM
I work in Exeter a few times a month and have heard they're very good. looks like a great job. Better than a £1K bumper+repray!

Cheers,

James.

Paul
30-04-2007, 12:25 PM
If you are coming to Japfest, it would be great to have a look at your rejuvenated P & J in the flesh! :DNot sure if I can make Japfest ... hence why I've not brought tickets ... if I am able to make it I will certainly do my very best to get down there ... having been at Silverstone last year (a gathernig that equalled the biggest known gathering of NSXs) I would very much like to help smash that number of NSXs gathered in one place ... would make quite a sight if we can break the 40 mark and almost double the previous join record of ... 22 if I recall correctly!

Paul
30-04-2007, 12:32 PM
I work in Exeter a few times a month and have heard they're very good. looks like a great job.Good to know other people have heard good things about them ... makes me feel that little bit more comfortable that they always work to a high standard ... rather than pulling out the stops for someone sent to them by the former owner!

Better than a £1K bumper+repray!Indeed ... a milk float decided to get too close for comfort not 6 weeks after I got my P&J in 2004 ... I seem to recall the bumper, which had to come from Japan as my NSX is a JDM ... cost comfortably in excess of £1,000, I think it was nearer £1,500 when VAT was added on ... although being an insurance job coming to in excess of £3,500 ... kindly paid for by Dairy Crest ... they would never have tried repairing the approx 8" slice that the old style cast iron girder battery powered type milk float made in the bumper that came with the car when I brought it!

Senninha
01-05-2007, 12:28 AM
Looks like a good piece of work Paul, nice to see it back together

regards, Paul