PDA

View Full Version : Suggeested new section "Group Buy"

mutley
27-04-2007, 12:18 PM
HI All,

Yes I'm sitting in work bored and staring into space when this wee idea hit me. In a few threads, people have asked about group buys on items from certain vendors and I got to thinking, instead od talking about it within other topics/threads, if we had a section called something like " Group Buy suggestions". If someone has an idea for a group buy, and start it off, then when they get whatever amount of people interested, I dunno maybe 5/10/20/whatever, then we can make it so.

or even taking it in turn to arrange something like this.

Just a thought.

Jim

TheSebringOne
27-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Great idea Jim! You must have too much time in your job, you got bored of twiddling your thumbs ?! Maybe we could asked the " forumadmin" if he could add a new section near the "for sale section" ?, but I think there was an old thread about having a "wanted section" , which I think did'nt go down too well with the said man with the power " forumdamin" :rolleyes: :D

mutley
27-04-2007, 12:48 PM
I can see why the "wanted" wouldn't go down well, as I am sure that there is a lot of people who want a lot of different parts and It would fill up pretty quicky and suck up a lot of storage space.

But a "Group Buy" would only be for items that you think a lot of people would be interested in, and therefore it shouldn't be that difficult to mantain/control.

maybe the forum admin could add it on a sort of trial basis , and then delete if noone wants/uses it?

Jim

Kevin
27-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Great idea Jim! You must have too much time in your job, you got bored of twiddling your thumbs ?! Maybe we could asked the " forumadmin" if he could add a new section near the "for sale section" ?, but I think there was an old thread about having a "wanted section" , which I think did'nt go down too well with the said man with the power " forumdamin" :rolleyes: :D

There is a wanted section. Please explain further, so that mean old forumadmin can help.

forumadmin
27-04-2007, 04:58 PM
There is a wanted section. Please explain further, so that mean old forumadmin can help.

Who is calling me mean?

I'll get you, if I see you at JapFest.

mutley
27-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Yeah I know there is a "wanted" section that you can post on and with a bit of luck someone will have that particular part lying about that someone can have.

But what I would like to propose is a section dedicated to group buys, where you can enter an item (for example the SoS hatch struts) and if there is enough interest, then someone can organise a group buy which will hopefully gain either a bulk order discount and maybe save a few quid on the overall postage.

I am sure we all realise that for group buys to work out better you may need a minimum order number (maybe 5, 10, etc depending on the item).

It would simply work as such: someone suggests a group buy, then similar to the way that Papalaz updated the attendance list for japfest, and with a set number and cut off date, we could make purchases in multiple orders from vendors.

hope that cleared things up a wee bit.

Jim

forumadmin
27-04-2007, 06:57 PM
I don't see why that would be a problem.

I'll get cracking. I don't see why I would of not allowed it before, and I honestly can't remember it being asked for. Unless it was wanted that I organise all the group buys.

Re: Group buying...............

I any case I have been in contact with Mark@Dali.

Any savings will be due to the savings in shipping, his parts are already as low as they will go.

I don't mind running a group buy with Dali along the following lines.

A thread will be open until 8pm Tuesday for people to get their part list in. Then Mark will have another few days to respond with what's in stock and can be shipped out in the same order. It's no good on the shipment waiting for something that is out of stock and delivery is unknown.

The shipping costs though can only really be worked out, when the parts are boxed and weighed and quote provided by the shippers.

As an example of the savings, Mark provided me with these figures;

1 set of swaybars shipped to your zip code (door to door) = $157.00
2 sets of swaybars shipped to your zip code (door to door) = $163.00/2= $81.50 each set
3 sets of swaybars shipped to your zip code (door to door) = $169.00/3= $56.33 each set

How does this sound? We can start a Dali buy thread and a SoS one, if someone else want to run that one.

Oh and delivery is less if the order is shipped to a company address, if someone can provide one.

modarr
27-04-2007, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=forumadmin]I don't see why that would be a problem.

I'll get cracking. I don't see why I would of not allowed it before, and I honestly can't remember it being asked for. Unless it was wanted that I organise all the group buys.

Re: Group buying...............

How about a group buy of all the parts he has had payment for and not sent?
??????
Mo

reg
27-04-2007, 08:59 PM

How does this sound? We can start a Dali buy thread and a SoS one, if someone else want to run that one.

Has everyone got all their outstanding items and/or their money back?

I think this is the first consideration before this forum endorses group buys?

The SoS one sounds great.

mutley
27-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Ahh that was quick, is it a mirage or do I see a group buy section?

On teh subject of Dali, I have seen many threads on the site bot for and against, some that are very happy with Mark, and some that still haven't received what has been paid for.

Well I thought I'd give him the benefit of teh doubt and have ordered parts.( CF console & Nave pod) and every e-mail I send I get a quick response,, so I'll wait and see if he delivers before I make any further comments.

Cheers

Jim

Kevin
27-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Has everyone got all their outstanding items and/or their money back?

I think this is the first consideration before this forum endorses group buys?

The SoS one sounds great.

And the idea of having a group buy section sounded like such a simple one...............

mutley
27-04-2007, 10:04 PM
And the idea of having a group buy section sounded like such a simple one...............

HAHAHA I am sure it will be once it gets going. Just a pity we didn't think of this earlier, tehn there may have been one before Japfest.

Jim.

Senninha
27-04-2007, 10:16 PM
And so it is. If you are uncomfortable with a particular vendor, dont join the GB. I might go have a look whats on offer with these vendors. Thanx Kevin / Jim for kicking this off.

regards, Paul

mutley
27-04-2007, 10:25 PM
not a problem, maybe look at starting one next month. Do we have a contact at SoS? ( I know we have MJ at Dali......well in theory), but not heard of anyone with SoS. Who recently got the hatch struts? maybe they could shed some light on it?

Jim

TheSebringOne
28-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Forumadmin - Let me get this right, the example prices that Mark (Dali) quoted for the Sway bars means ,that if we buy as group 3 sets of these bars that come in pairs, then its a third cheaper then buying one set ? :rolleyes: Also can Mark answer or clarify the point made by Reg below?

Reg - I think this has to be seriously considered as there some outstanding issues to be resolved with Mark.

Kevin
28-04-2007, 05:41 PM
The prices quoted from Dali are for shipping, not the sway bars themselves. Like I said, there won't be any discount just because more than one item is being bought. Any savings made will be in the shipping charges.

TheSebringOne
28-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Doh!! feel like Homer, sorry I should have thought it was too good to be true! Strange that some people think I'm quite clever ! :oops:

mutley
28-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Soooooooooo, has anyone thought of starting one of yet?? I probably will at somepoint after japfest, this little trip is getting expensive!! Still wouldn't miss it though.

Cheers

Jim

Senninha
28-04-2007, 09:33 PM
I don't mind running a group buy with Dali along the following lines.

A thread will be open until 8pm Tuesday for people to get their part list in. Then Mark will have another few days to respond with what's in stock and can be shipped out in the same order. It's no good on the shipment waiting for something that is out of stock and delivery is unknown.

The shipping costs though can only really be worked out, when the parts are boxed and weighed and quote provided by the shippers.
From my experience, if the goods are in stock everything appears to go well with Mark. I'm not currently in need of anything but will keep an eye on GB dates throughout the year.

modarr
01-05-2007, 12:26 AM
I have recently been forced over to the 'dark' (expensive) side by Mark refusing to answer my polite emails, despite having been on excellent terms with him.
Brian at SoS is a good contact. I and a fellow NSX'er have recently ordered
2x front lip spoiler
2x Cantrell air intakes
non-compliance toe links
brake hoses

and on a separate order,
Racing brake 2 piece rotors and larger caliper brackets

Shipping was initially very expensive but get on the phone, you can actually talk to humans rather than deal with an alien being via email alone. They managed to get shipping down to $342 despite the gigantic box the spoilers came in. Even shipping very heavy brake discs wasn't too bad and they arrived promptly.
SoS can be slow but regular phone calls help.
Emails are sometimes dealt with very slowly, but hey you do get a reply, even weeks later.
5 months now waiting for MJ to grace me with a reply. Even ****off would do.

Recommend SoS, costs more but 99.9% Bull**** free.

TheSebringOne
01-05-2007, 02:25 AM
Mo, well done! Was the $342 for the first large order and do you know the weight of it all & what was the first shipping price SOS quoted you before your bartering skills brought the shipping price down? Please can you confirm the price for a lower front spoiler if its a OEM one that is? I thinking of getting a spare just in case I can't smarten/repair my, but I think there are alot of us, thinking of a GB for the spoiler alone!
One last Q, what was the shipping cost for brake rotors as you said they are reasonable considering its weight, since I will have to get them soon and I like the ones SOS sells?

Thanks alot, sorry for my many Qs. James :D

modarr
02-05-2007, 12:17 AM
Mo, well done! Was the $342 for the first large order and do you know the weight of it all & what was the first shipping price SOS quoted you before your bartering skills brought the shipping price down? Please can you confirm the price for a lower front spoiler if its a OEM one that is? I thinking of getting a spare just in case I can't smarten/repair my, but I think there are alot of us, thinking of a GB for the spoiler alone!
One last Q, what was the shipping cost for brake rotors as you said they are reasonable considering its weight, since I will have to get them soon and I like the ones SOS sells?

Thanks alot, sorry for my many Qs. James :D

Deep breath.....
The large order was $342 or there abouts. The initial quote I got was $1000 so I told them where to put that and come up with a decent price.
Weight was not much. about 20kg or less, but one 6foot box and one normal box.
The spoilers were Shine spoiler, not OEM. Look much cooler and only a little lower, but nice fat anaesthetised looking lip, good force some downforce. $250 each
Shipping for the uprated rotors on a 91' was $250. Arrived quickly.
First order took ages to ship and it was cheaper because it was business post. they will only ship to a business address though.
Will let you know how long the Racing Brake two piece discs last. Expensive but hopefully less warping. If these are pooh I'll have to get some custom brakes made.

bryan.s@scienceofspeed.com

Try this contact, he helped me. The other chap is called Jeff M, you can actually speak to this one in real life.

TheSebringOne
02-05-2007, 04:07 AM
Cheers Mo, If you see someone purving or looking close up at your front lower spoiler & stoppers, it will be me, HKF ! So don't be alarmed! I assume you will have these fitted ready Japfest? ;)

modarr
04-05-2007, 12:17 AM
The parts are fitted James but sorry to say I am unable to make Japfest.
Too much to do and not enough time.

I would add that although the Cantrel air intake was purchased to gain a few bhp, the much vaunted sound effects were disappointing. The intake snarl isn't much louder and although you can hear air being sucked into the side vent with the passenger window down, its pretty tame. Its also expensive for a large bit of plastic drain pipe.
Still added together every few horses count towards bigger horses.

Kevin
04-05-2007, 12:43 AM
The shipping from SoS sounds ridiculous though.

A gearbox + 10 oil filters + a few other bits, and another box containing anti-roll bars (not dissimilar in size to spoilers) was $279 from the 'other' vendor. That's a shipment weighing 100kg.

Has SoS stopped using BAX Global? They used to for exhuasts, and they are the cheapest carrier it seems.

modarr
04-05-2007, 01:33 AM
The shipping from SoS sounds ridiculous though.

A gearbox + 10 oil filters + a few other bits, and another box containing anti-roll bars (not dissimilar in size to spoilers) was $279 from the 'other' vendor. That's a shipment weighing 100kg.

Has SoS stopped using BAX Global? They used to for exhuasts, and they are the cheapest carrier it seems.
All well and good if the other bloody fool would actually reply to emails.
Of course I prefer Dali but he doesn't seem to need the custom