PDA

View Full Version : gearbox crack

nsxselby
19-04-2007, 06:24 PM
first of all i would like to thank simon and dirk for the fog light help,
But as usuall my luck is poor i have just had a new clutch fitted and they have found a small crack in my gear box do i A-NEED A NEW ONE, OR B-POSSABLY GET MINE WELDED,
please help i need her fixing for my trip to italy:(

simonprelude
19-04-2007, 06:27 PM
I suppose it depends on the severity of the crack, if it were me I would be tempted to get a welder to look at it.

Kevin
19-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Co-incidentally, I have a new box on order.

I'm going to sell my current one.

modarr
19-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Co-incidentally, I have a new box on order.

I'm going to sell my current one.

Hey what's with the keeping us suspense thing?
What's in the box, 6 speed, short gears? LSD?
Must know.

reg
19-04-2007, 10:09 PM
first of all i would like to thank simon and dirk for the fog light help,
But as usuall my luck is poor i have just had a new clutch fitted and they have found a small crack in my gear box do i A-NEED A NEW ONE, OR B-POSSABLY GET MINE WELDED,
please help i need her fixing for my trip to italy:(

Hi,

It will very much depend on where the crack is i.e close to a seal or machined area or part of a strengthening web? The latter could be welded easily. The only other thing you may have issues with welding is getting it clean enough if the oil has penetrated the cases?

Can you give us anymore information?

Senninha
19-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Hey what's with the keeping us suspense thing?
What's in the box, 6 speed, short gears? LSD?
Must know.

Come on Kevin, share the details. Detlef has recently sold a 6 speed Type R box?
Does this explain your kicking off the track day thread?

Senninha
19-04-2007, 10:50 PM
NSXSelby,

Sorry to hear about the 'box, I would certainly investigate the welding option if you need a quick fix, then talk nicely to Kevin for the longer term solution maybe.

regards, Paul

nsxselby
21-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Hi,

It will very much depend on where the crack is i.e close to a seal or machined area or part of a strengthening web? The latter could be welded easily. The only other thing you may have issues with welding is getting it clean enough if the oil has penetrated the cases?

Can you give us anymore information?

just been to tdi were the car is its a no go for welding its cracked were the mount is at the rear its had a rear bang at some point, nice of the owner to tell me when he sold it,

Silver Surfer
21-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Kevin,

I think you got yourself a buyer if it's not already sold.

SS