View Full Version : Used car guide NSX vs F355 by MSN

simonprelude
08-04-2007, 10:54 AM
http://cars.uk.msn.com/Usedcarguide/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4409775

L531SGU anyone on here ??

http://estb.msn.com/i/44/B4F94987335BAA455DC48F8769F5.jpg

gumball
08-04-2007, 01:05 PM
did they just guess the perfomance figures?, there way off.

Kevin
08-04-2007, 05:17 PM
As they borrowed the two cars from Club GT, I'm guessing Club GT owns the NSX. What a stupid and factually incorrect article. I hate lazy journos so much.

simonprelude
08-04-2007, 05:31 PM
The part I find funny is you look on Club GT's site and all the number plates are blanked, on the MSN article all clear to see :)

reg
08-04-2007, 07:39 PM
What a stupid and factually incorrect article. I hate lazy journos so much.

Agreed 100%

If they can't even get the stats right then there is little point in reading on :rolleyes:

NSX 2000
09-04-2007, 10:39 AM
This article has just wound me up, they drive the cars for couple of hours, try living with them day to day! Just had the annual service done on my car at a honda main dealer in the centre of London and I'm of pocket by whole £180. You try and get a Ferrari serviced for £180, You'll be luky if you see change out of £1800!!!
If Honda hadn't of biult the NSX then there would be no 355 or 360 or 430!

VERY ANGRY NOW!

TheSebringOne
09-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Agreed too!! The NSX is totally under rated and we all know its one of petrol head's best kept secrets! The NSX shook the super car establishment when it came out and I know people say, how can you have a useable supercar that you could use everyday, but hey look at what the other badges from Germany and Italy have done since!! made their cars more usable!! So The X did start a revolution!! I thought about a 993 & 348, but so so glad & chuffed I got the X in the end & not become a best mate with the bank manager! ;) Can't wait for Japfest !

UltraViolet
09-04-2007, 04:02 PM
To be fair, they do include cost of servicing and tyres etc in the article (not read all - just seen the prices on front page which seem near or thereabouts).

I had opportunity recently to experience first hand a few Italian offerings back to back with my NSX and there were lots of surprises TBH. Also, I don't consider myself blinkered so go into these sort of things with a fairly open mind and am happy to have my opinions changed.

First off - compare the NSX with a Ferrari at the same sort of money and from a driving point of view, the NSX walks it. A fact that the Ferrari owners I was with on the Supercar organised drive were very happy to acknowledge. Indeed, the NSX had lots of fans from the Italian car owners. They certainly didn't appear to have any need to put down our chosen vehicle, and as fellow enthusiasts, I don't feel any need to put down theirs.

Cost wise the cars that fall into the same sort of money as my NSX are the 308 and 328 and owners of these do not claim that their cars are quicker. They do however enjoy pretty much zero depreciation and of course there is undoubtably something special owning a Ferrari.
The 348 is a car I used to dislike a lot, however I have since become more informed and discovered that a lot of what I thought was misguided and I believed what I had heard rather than experiencing.

Ownership costs - the 308 and 328 are not expensive cars to own/run and servicing is indeed comparable to our cars. However when you go to the 348, these cars are quicker but the costs go up significantly.

However pretty unanimous opinion amongst the Ferrari owners who have experience of long term ownership and enjoying driving was that if you replaced an NSX with anything less than the 355, you would be disappointed. They agreed that the NSX is the better car.

The 355 though is a different beast. It is a very special car, very quick, superb handling. BUT it costs a lot more and run up high miles and resale value plumets.

So the older cars get the benefit of zero depreciation, but get to the car where arguably you have a better driving machine, and suddenly you don't have that benefit anymore. Plus all costs are higher - servicing is more expensive. You also need to look after it more - no 'neglecting' the car leaving it sat ignored for 2 months then jumping in when you fancy a drive - the F-car will insist on being driven more regularly if it is going to be reliable. Plus you def. need a battery conditioner. (Not a bad thing to have for any car that is used infrequently to be fair)

I agree that the NSX scared the Italians to look at what they were doing, but when they did, they came back with a fine machine and the 355 is certainly a nice car.

Whether it makes sense over the NSX is another question altogether and comes downto the individual. I wouldn't say my NSX is better or worse. I just say that it suits me and is fit for my purposes.

kevinpsw
09-04-2007, 05:03 PM
A very convincing piece.

I really did want a Ferrari. The Prancing Horse badge offers the ultimate image. However, I needed a car that I could, if I needed to, use every day. I also did not want, and could not really afford to pay, a stream of expensive maintenance bills, so I investigated the NSX. I am so pleased that I did. The NSX is a car you can buy with your head and your heart.

Mine has, touch wood, been trouble free and I hope to keep it for years. I truly cannot think of anything else that I can afford that I would prefer. My wife has even got used to the 'yellow peril' as she calls it.

NSX 2000
09-04-2007, 05:36 PM
I don't consider myself blinkered so go into these sort of things with a fairly open mind and am happy to have my opinions changed.

First off - compare the NSX with a Ferrari at the same sort of money and from a driving point of view, the NSX walks it. A fact that the Ferrari owners I was with on the Supercar organised drive were very happy to acknowledge. Indeed, the NSX had lots of fans from the Italian car owners. They certainly didn't appear to have any need to put down our chosen vehicle, and as fellow enthusiasts, I don't feel any need to put down theirs.

However pretty unanimous opinion amongst the Ferrari owners who have experience of long term ownership and enjoying driving was that if you replaced an NSX with anything less than the 355, you would be disappointed. They agreed that the NSX is the better car.

I agree with the above and in fact you hit the nail on the head with regards to "Ferrari owners". In the MSN article, you have a couple of jurnos who as they say themselves dream of owning a Ferrari so the article is naturally biased.

But just to be biased my Uncle owened a 355 and had to wait 5 mins with the engine running before he could go out just to get the oil in the gearbox up to the correct temp. Then at only 2 years old the paint started to peel!

And where did I buy my NSX from? You gussed it an authorised Ferrari dealership ;-) .

Silver Surfer
09-04-2007, 08:16 PM
I guess someone must of part exchanged your 'X' for a 'F'.

I wonder if he is disappointed or chuffed? :rolleyes:

SS

reg
09-04-2007, 10:19 PM
If my numbers came up then after property had been secured and funds moved to make for an independent future a 360CS would be purchased no questions whatsoever. You can't compare the noise/drama/outright performance of the Ferrari against the NSX. However back in the real world the Honda provides me with everything I need and sticks a middlefinger up to the modern fascination of cars that run on carrot juice and all look like wind tunnel models;)

And that article is very poor both in factual detail and commentary.

TheSebringOne
09-04-2007, 11:29 PM
If you really had loads of money, then would you have a 360CS (Challenge Stradale) over a NA2 NSX Type R ?? wander which one is rarest? Mind you Honda never offically sold the Type R here. Ummmm, may be both would be cool in your dream garage ;) I read a thread that Type R floor mats are 700 odd quid! but think its 3700 or so squids for stripes down the middle of the CS!! My old neighbour has a 360 Spider and when hes canning it, the metallic shreak sounds amazing! :o

gumball
10-04-2007, 01:11 PM
I would only swap for at least a 360, a 355 ? no way, the nsx is miles better.

Rob_Fenn
10-04-2007, 10:02 PM
I think the 355 is much better looking than the 360, and was a break through model too (thanks to the NSX). The 360 won't be a collectors model that the 355 is turning into, in my opinion.

I think i'd be underwhelmed by a Type R if i ever drove one, so i think my perfect NSX would be Ayrton's old one, or a very low mileage 3.0, one of the first!

TheSebringOne
10-04-2007, 11:37 PM
Underwhelmed? You mean it does'nt do enough for you? I will probably never get a chance to sample a NA2 Type R, but if that dream comes true, I would be overwhelmed! Just seen pics of you speeding around chasing the 911 Turbo around Bedford track, looks great !! Mind you I remember in an earlier thread, one of Senna's old car was for sale in Italy I think & was asking for a few quid,but then it belongs to the great man, imagine the bragging rights in the pub !! ;)

Rob_Fenn
11-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Yep, it would be great! :D

If the NSX was standard, then the Type R would be my dream car... but i can't see a Type R being better than our NSX on track or on the road to be honest. Type R still looks cool... but i'd rather spank £100k on some hot girls.

NSXGB
11-04-2007, 09:20 AM
:D :D

... but i'd rather spank £100k on some hot girls.