PDA

View Full Version : Auto any good?

Unregistered
22-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Good morning

I thought this would be the best place to ask, so here goes,

I have seen a 1990 NSX AUTO, normally i wouldnt really touch anyhting but a manual, but i love the NSX so much i am thinking of buying it!

is there really that much difference between the pick up between a manual and auto?

any problems to look out for?

help much appreciated

Sagacitas
22-03-2007, 10:44 AM
I have not driven a manual so can't comment on differences (although I am sure someone here will).

I have driven 2 automatics and the difference was huge. The first was really uninspiring - but then the whole car looked and felt tired. The second one was incredible - put a smile on my face that lasted for weeks and I still smile just thinking about that drive. But even that car felt more like a GT than a race car.

The advice most people will give you is to try as many as you can. Only you can decide if the car fits you.

Richard

Silver Surfer
22-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Auto is:

Cheaper
Slower (Acceleration)
Less sought after
Better for around town driving
Generally not as desirable than a manual

SS

simonprelude
22-03-2007, 12:30 PM
How much is it going for ??

I would imagine around the £10k mark ??

Rob_Fenn
22-03-2007, 12:41 PM
The manual gearbox on the NSX is one of the best fitted to a car, it would be a real shame to miss out on it.

kevinpsw
22-03-2007, 12:55 PM
I thought long and hard about an auto, especially as some very nice ones were available when I was searching for an NSX. But in the end I paid the extra and got a manual.

I think the key factors are:

How long will you keep the car? Autos are difficult to sell on.
Do you enjoy the more lazy style of driving afforded by an auto? If you want to have a true supercar experience it has to be a manual.
Is the extra ~£5k for a manual something you can afford?
Is the clutch on the manual you are considering relatively new? If the current clutch has done 40k+ then a change at £2000 might not be too far away.

My manual is a little knotchy going from 1st into 2nd when cold but fine after 10-15 minutes. I understand this to be a common trait so bear that in mind when you are test driving.

Unregistered
22-03-2007, 02:26 PM
thanks for the great replies guys

its going for 12k, it is a import model.

i have already asked somone about changing from auto to manual conversion and they said it not worth it.

to be honest 12k is my max, but it is in good condition.

it was this or a R33 GTR, but the NSX just looks so good and its naturally aspirated

UltraViolet
24-03-2007, 11:01 PM
i have already asked somone about changing from auto to manual conversion and they said it not worth it.

to be honest 12k is my max, but it is in good condition.

First point: Take a look at what is happening to a lot of the early Autos in Japan !

6-speed gear box with LSD mated to early Auto gives a cheap car with better spaced gears than the early manuals. Yes a little down on power (the autos got a different ECU and were not blessed with as many horses as the manual) but a very good car that comes in at far less money than the sum of the parts gives.

Second point: If you have a £12k max - that leaves you with nothing should something go wrong. The routine running costs on these cars is exceptionally good. BUT it is still a low volume supercar, one that was very expensive - certain parts fail and you have big bills. If £12k is your max, I would suggest you look at something less exclusive for now and wait until you have a little more to play with.

kostas
15-05-2007, 09:40 PM
I have One of the best looking NSX in the country its a type S Auto 1995 Diamond white if you are looking for an Auto then you want an auto nsx it has one of the slickest gear changes of any early auto with a simple ECU chip you can pull more horses than a standard manual and make them look silly of the lights the gear change is very slick with some fancy footwork behind the peddle it makes for some serious fun. If you like track days one advantage that the auto has is that it allows you to focus on steering and car control most mistakes om track happen while gear changing (food for thought) be lucky

TheSebringOne
15-05-2007, 09:54 PM
A white NSX thats rare, have you got pics please? :no::rolleyes:

TheQuietOne
15-05-2007, 09:56 PM
I have One of the best looking NSX in the country its a type S Auto 1995 Diamond white if you are looking for an Auto then you want an auto nsx it has one of the slickest gear changes of any early auto with a simple ECU chip you can pull more horses than a standard manual and make them look silly of the lights the gear change is very slick with some fancy footwork behind the peddle it makes for some serious fun. If you like track days one advantage that the auto has is that it allows you to focus on steering and car control most mistakes om track happen while gear changing (food for thought) be lucky

Hi and welcome, just out of interest do you have any pics you could post - firstly I didn't think the Type-S came in an auto and secondly didn't think Diamond white was a NSX colour (just a drink!). Get down to Japfest this weekend and proove your claim too...:cool:

AR
15-05-2007, 10:59 PM

Sorry ate but they lied to you! The Type S is a 3.2 6sp manual from 97 on. Ther is plenty of S type stickers about.

AR

Sudesh
19-05-2007, 07:05 PM
When did the F-Matic come with the Auto? and I would also like to see the white NSX!!

Deano
25-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Could you please send me details of your car...

deanward@btinternet.com

TheQuietOne
25-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Who? Me? OK only kidding I don't think there is anyone selling an auto on here currently - I believe that purple one is back up on Autotrader again but the owner hasn't posted it on here...

Good luck with your hunt!