PDA

View Full Version : Insurance result!

Minch
21-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Can't believe it! My RAC cover (fully comprehensive but limited to 6k miles per annum) was £750 ish last year. This year they have quoted me £818. I thought I'd go to a performance insurer instead who instantly quoted £677 (or £705 inc protected no claims).

Well the time came today to renew so I called RAC and thought that I'd just tell them honestly (I know, stupid) what I had been quoted elsewhere. The lady ummmed and ahhhhed about the price but suggested I put somebody else on the policy. Now I'm not sure what everybody elses experiences are with putting an extra person on but with me it normally shoots up! The lady suggested a partner/spouse as I would get some discount. Bare in mind that my girlfriend is 25 with none of her own 'no claims' (family insurance still) and drives a 206 1.4 (or was I call it a 'poo 0 6'). My quote came down from £818 to £521!!!!!

What the hell is it all about? Time for new tyres me thinks ;)

WhyOne?
21-03-2007, 12:36 PM
It's a well known 'feature' of the motor insurance quoting system that if you add someone (preferably with a long, clean driving history) to your policy, the premium will frequently fall.

The only danger I can see is that if the named individual gets wind of the fact they are insured to on your car, thay may actually want to drive it!!!!!

Lankstarr
21-03-2007, 12:40 PM
It is certainly the best way to save you money - my wife saves me £300 a year!

Senninha
21-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Also pleased with this years renewal quote which has dropped by £120+, retains the favourable guaranteed value of last year should the worst happen and now offers 4 free track events :D

regards, Paul

sportyking
21-03-2007, 12:52 PM
I find Ians advice particularly funny, as I always put my sister on my insurance for the reduction. The funny thing is that it was his car that she took regularly to work when she found out :)

NSX 2000
21-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Also pleased with this years renewal quote which has dropped by £120+, retains the favourable guaranteed value of last year should the worst happen and now offers 4 free track events :D

regards, Paul

Paul, Who was this with?
Paul.

Steveycaz
21-03-2007, 01:43 PM
It is certainly the best way to save you money - my wife saves me £300 a year!

Are you taking into account shoes, jewellery and flowers?

WhyOne?
21-03-2007, 02:05 PM
I find Ians advice particularly funny, as I always put my sister on my insurance for the reduction. The funny thing is that it was his car that she took regularly to work when she found out :)

I had forgotten about that when I wrote my post earlier!!!!!!!!!

Lankstarr
21-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Are you taking into account shoes, jewellery and flowers?

Oops £299 - damn those chrysanthemums!!

Hmm 4 free track days would be nice; come on Paul - spill the beans!

Senninha
21-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Hmm 4 free track days would be nice; come on Paul - spill the beans!
THB Legger competition insurance, now Caterham Insurance and underwritten by Chaucer 0115 941 5255.

regards, Paul

simonprelude
21-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Now I really can't believe it, just rung insurance to tell of moving house.

£197 refund :) Pleased or what.

Senninha
21-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Now I really can't believe it, just rung insurance to tell of moving house.

£197 refund :) Pleased or what. so that 33% of the engine cover paid for then ;)

NSXGB
21-03-2007, 07:09 PM
What about agreed value if the NSX is written off?

Senninha
21-03-2007, 07:19 PM
What about agreed value if the NSX is written off?
Included in the policy and based on HPI market value, which is nice!

regards, Paul

TheSebringOne
22-03-2007, 12:35 AM
Not Kylies, but my! Mines due in 2 mths,those in the Southern counties or below Watford Gap are lucky,us up North which starts with M pay alot more or I'm I not searching hard enough?! £919 last yr,no claims in 8/9yrs,max NCB,garaged,CAT1 & Tracker,less than 3000pa,partner added on,age north of 35 & good Mancr postcode! Any1 with similar profile,but cheaper quote? Also I assume if over 10 yrs old its cheaper(mines a 99!) & I did'nt know u can get gauranteed value if the worse happens! Cheers :mad:

Lankstarr
22-03-2007, 08:24 AM
TSO - you've been had mate :O)

I'm 26 with 4 yrs NCB and 3 points. Paid 670 for the year for my 98 3.2 with 8k a year on the driveway (that's a lot of parking ;o)). Wife is on (no jokes please) but only has 2 years NCB and is 25.

I expect it to go down a lot (THE QUOTE not my wife) when I get my next quote as I'll have the full 5yrs NCB and my 3 points will be 1 month away from disappearing!

There's another thread with people you should try; I'm with Churchill.

L*

PS no tracker either but I don't think that makes a huge diff anyway

TheSebringOne
22-03-2007, 11:02 PM
TSO? Well thats not a bad quote 4 a spring chicken (a lanky one at that!), but Basingstoke is probably far safer postcode than M28, I believe anything down south is much cheaper apart from the Big Smoke! Yep I've seen the other thread,so will get some nos. A tracker only reduces premium a little, but its peace of mind if someone I do'nt know wants to get their hands on my X (heaven forbid-touchwood). I have no points for a while ,maybe since I only do 1k pa at present !! LOL ;)

mutley
28-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Well now, this has given me a lot of food for thought, come renewal time I'll be trying a few little ideas out methinks!