PDA

View Full Version : The Real Top Speed

Pande
27-09-2004, 07:09 PM
To anyone...

Does anyone know what speed the final gear of a 3.2 6 speed NSX cuts out. I will try cut mine out in the not so distant future so it will be varified.

Paul
04-10-2004, 09:46 AM
Not sure that I can help you here ... it's obviously only possible to top out on something like a German Autobahn where you can easily get 150 out of a 5 speed 3.0 manual 1996 NSX ... :-D

Pande
04-10-2004, 05:58 PM
Who needs the German autobahn.

I can confirm that the 3.0 5 speed which I owned last year hit 177mph and the road ran out, not the revs. I believe 180 is possible.

And now lets look into the 3.2 6 speed.....

Lets just say I can confirm that 180mph and still pulling was the story last weekend. Hard to believe but believe it...........ran out of road.

Pulled away from a 3.2 M3 Evo and gapped it by 20 cars....LOL LOL :D

Paul
06-11-2004, 02:25 PM
lol ... you naughty boy ... and i thought 162 still pulling in a 5speed 1996 3.0litre was bad ... trouble was ... yep, you guessed, i ran out of road too ... lol

Welshman
08-11-2004, 12:31 PM

Are we talking M3 or Evo here?

ctrlaltdelboy
08-11-2004, 04:35 PM

Are we talking M3 or Evo here?

I would guess we are talking about a BMW M3 Evolution as detailed here (http://www.totalbmwmag.co.uk/Buying/BuyingJan02.pdf)

hfiennes
09-11-2004, 03:29 PM
Who needs the German autobahn.

I can confirm that the 3.0 5 speed which I owned last year hit 177mph and the road ran out, not the revs. I believe 180 is possible.

And now lets look into the 3.2 6 speed.....

Lets just say I can confirm that 180mph and still pulling was the story last weekend. Hard to believe but believe it...........ran out of road.

Is this a GPS-verified speed, or a speedo reading?

Hugo

Pande
10-11-2004, 07:15 PM
The car raced was an BMW M3 Evolution. Now for the really scary part...

Last week the M3 Evolution pulled 178mph varified GPS reading in 5th gear, yes you read correct, in 5th gear. This was on a 6 mile straight we found but not the road we originally raced on. On the 6 mile straight I guess the NSX will really show its true colours because I intend to cut out 6th. The M3 lost speed when engaging 6th so I guess that is where it tops out, 178mph is the most it will pull.

BrownBear
11-11-2004, 08:21 AM
A ban? :D

Depends what the R34 has had done to it - think that will be closer than the Sunny - but then the aerodynamics will probably count for more when you get up to that speed so the NSX could do very well...

DamianW
11-11-2004, 09:44 AM
A ban?

Ban? Prison more like. Still I'm sure he'll enjoy regaling stories of "maxing it out" as he's being buggered senseless :roll:

ctrlaltdelboy
11-11-2004, 11:57 AM
Prison is for sure, examples include:

156MPH = 5 months in jail (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3030327.stm) (you can add your comments to this one here (http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?f=57&h=0&t=39562))
160MPH = 12 months in jail (http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/news.htm)
148MPH & 157MPH = 28 days each in jail (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/3068731.stm)
41MPH = 4 years in jail (dangerous driving rather than speeding) (http://www.spuc.org.uk/news/20030108.htm)

Pande - you'd better start getting used to the idea of doing some hard time or give this activity up.

if you continue doing this sort of thing there can only be one of a few outcomes, you will either:

a) get caught and go to jail, probably resulting in the loss of your job/livelihood, leading to the loss of your income and then your home and car, leading to stresses in your relationship caused by the financial pressures and your incarceration, leading to break-up/divorce - once you've got all of that out of the way you can start your life over again, ableit with a prison record on your CV.

b) kill someone - there are all manner of things that can happen at this speed on public roads to cause an accident. you will then be able to look forward to all of the things above plus some guilt to boot.

c) kill yourself - your obituaries will be in lots of papers and websites and will not be particularly complimentary about you and the way you lost your life - probably not the kind of legacy you would want your loved ones to have as their memories of you.

why not save it for the track, the airfield or the pod?

we are off to Bedford on the 20th (see here for details (http://nsxcb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320)) for some safe flexing of our cars' capabilities - last time out I was seeing 130MPH before braking for the chicane at the end of the straight and up to 90MPH through the 90degree right hander at the pit straight (at 90+ I lost it in a 720 deg spin down the pit straight). In this environment everyone knows and follows the rules resulting in a situation where you can push the limits of your car and your driving ability in relative safety from injury, death, fines, points, bans or prison.

Hope to see you there

DamianW
11-11-2004, 12:05 PM
I was going to say something similar but wondered how sanctimonious I'd sound ;) I agree entirely. I doubt any of us are total angels on the public road, but there are limits and frankly Pande is so far beyond those he may as well be waving at me from the moon.

I don't think its big or clever, and frankly I also think its making NSX owners look like a bunch of tools.

ctrlaltdelboy
11-11-2004, 12:28 PM
Further to Damian's comments, I also paused before posting for fear of sounding sactimonious - I don't want to come across that way either, but I guess to some folks I will.
I also agree that I'm sure none of us in here are angels with regard to speed limits, and that we kind of 'set our own limits' and as a result I'm sure I'm not the only one to have fallen foul of the law and paid the price for it - but my point is that the limit that Pande is working within (is there one?) is so far beyond the limit that I or others here set ourselves that when the time comes for him to pay the price for driving at his own limit rather than the legal one, that price will be unbearably high for him - as detailed in my last post.

I don't want to sound like a preacher, I just want to make Pande realise what he is lining up for his future, as I suspect that he has not thought about or taken on board the reality of the situation previously.

I'll leave it there folks, except to point out to Admin that on some forums street racing posts are specifically banned e.g. here (http://forum.hondarevolutions.com/viewtopic.php?t=37) some people think this is a good thing, others think it is in conflict with the 'free speech' ideals that the internet and forums can deliver. Perhaps Admin may wish to instigate a vote among the membership as to whether more rules such as this one are needed in here, or simply make an arbitary decision on it.

Pande
11-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Who said the race was a street race.

Ive never mensioned street racing, the roads I use are closed runways which allow this kind of activity.

Chill out guys

BrownBear
11-11-2004, 01:04 PM
Chilled anyway, but thanks for the clarification.

Good luck with the 34 - keep us posted - cheers

DamianW
11-11-2004, 01:07 PM

Ive never mensioned street racing, the roads I use are closed runways which allow this kind of activity.

Chill out guys

This is what confused me then:
"This was on a 6 mile straight we found but not the road we originally raced on."

Sounds cool to me anyway, then, sorry to have a go. Worth making it clearer in future.

ctrlaltdelboy
11-11-2004, 01:16 PM

I have not seen any mention of runways in this thread until now, all any of us here have seen is talk of these speeds on ROADS (that's the same as streets, right?) e.g.

....hit 177mph and the road ran out, not the revs. I believe 180 is possible.

... you naughty boy ... and i thought 162 still pulling in a 5speed 1996 3.0litre was bad ... trouble was ... yep, you guessed, i ran out of road too ...

Last week the M3 Evolution pulled 178mph varified GPS reading in 5th gear, yes you read correct, in 5th gear. This was on a 6 mile straight we found but not the road we originally raced on

On the other hand my car hit 180 on the GPS and as I mensioned before the road ran out.

Ill let you guys know how the 6 mile straight goes.

By the way this weekend im hoping to get together with an R34 Vspec. The road will only be 2.5 mile long. What do recon the outcome will be...

I would have thought that if all of the activities above had been carried out on RUNWAYS rather than ROADS then that would have been mentioned at the time - If these 2.5 mile and 6 mile straight are indeed closed runways that can be used for this kind of wheel to wheel drag racing, then I for one am quite keen on finding out more - location? owner/event organiser? contact details? perhaps the NSXCB can have a day at one of these and the rest of us can put our cars through their paces too.
I expect that most of us would start out cautiously spectating before having the bottle to join in the fun, but don't keep it to yourself Pande, tell us more.

Welshman
11-11-2004, 02:00 PM
You would have to go some to find a 6 mile runway in the UK. I doubt if any exist. 6,000 yards is a very long runway. Maybe ask the USAF whether we can use Edwards AFB!

ctrlaltdelboy
11-11-2004, 02:44 PM
You would have to go some to find a 6 mile runway in the UK. I doubt if any exist. 6,000 yards is a very long runway.
I agree mate, but I think you'll find that 6 miles is in fact 10,557 yards :wink:

anyway, Pande appears to have found one that allows it's use for drag racing though so I reckon this is good news for all of us who fancy taking it to the limit :D

looking forward to more details.......

Kevin
11-11-2004, 04:38 PM
RAF Fairford, the longest in Europe is 10,000 feet long.

At Bruntingthorpe 2 miles long, we managed 150mph, as measured on speedo.

It will be nice to know where this 31,000+ foot long runway is, that can be used for racing on. What's the secret? Why can't we know where it is?

It would be great for a NSXCB visit.

ctrlaltdelboy
11-11-2004, 05:03 PM
10,000 feet is 1.9 miles mate

how long is Bruntingthorpe?

how many peeps here have GPS speed measuring equipment? just asking with a view to perhaps organising a top speed run event

(I have an Origin b2 and a road angel)

ctrlaltdelboy
11-11-2004, 05:05 PM
thanks for editing that while I was replying there Kev! my Bruntingthorpe question is now redundant!

mcibuk
12-11-2004, 11:28 AM
I must admit that the posts sort of insinuated a "road" race which probably got some of us a bit nervy so i for one am glad to hear that you use your flying machine on an appropriate track! (yes i too get beyond the legal limit - from time to time!!)

I'm interested to know which airfleld runways you are using. Can you pm me details?

mcibuk
12-11-2004, 11:35 AM
Seems that i missed the second page so my last question seems ridiculous now!

In the absence of any reply from Pande we should ease off as he may well be in a corner :oops:

Pande
12-11-2004, 11:43 AM
Ok guys lets clear things up shall we

I never mensioned any races on a 6 mile road or runway. I mensioned a friend who had his BMW M3 on a 6 mile road. All races listed by me were all at an airfield which is between 2-2.5 mile long including breaking distance. I did mension that ill have my car on the 6 mile straight soon but that is if I gather the balls to do so.

Sorry for the confusion guys. Ill try meet at the next track day.

DamianW
12-11-2004, 01:14 PM
Got mine up to 420mph yesterday. Luckily I'd found Brize Norton tucked down the back of the sofa ;)