PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problem ... help sought

Paul
25-09-2004, 09:39 AM
Over the past couple of days my clutch has begun sliping ... when going to accelerate the engine revs increase yet there's a distinct lack of increase to my speed ... this car does accelerate, but the clutch, or something else is slipping and not letting the car accelerate as it should.

Pulling away is becoming increasingly slow and asides from virtually flooring the accelerater when driving along acceleration is becoming increasingly worse.

My other problem is having just brought the NSX ... I am using her as my sole form of transport. So I could really really do with getting this sorted as soon as possible.

Are there any NSX owners out there that would be willing to help me out in improving the problem for me until I can maybe get the car garaged if need be?

Payment for time and effort would not be a problem.

Thanks in anticipation of some help.

Not sure how often I'll be able to monitor this thread, so please feel free to call me on 07798 638393

Paul
25-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Going off-line now.

Looks like it's going to have to be a new clutch ... unless anyone can give me a call and give me some advice on how to sort it.

Cheers to Mike for the number of Dave in Reading. I suspect I'll be paying him a visit some time to see what he can do service wise. Might be more reasonable for run of the mill service costs, although Honda genuine parts would still be my prefered choice.

Enjoy your outings in your NSXs ... mine will be parked up as much as possible till it goes to the garage on Thursday ... :-(

Kevin
25-09-2004, 05:07 PM
There's nothing you can do to adjust the clutch to try and make it better.

My car is usually in bits, so you probably enjoy yours much more (timewise) than I do.

Nick Graves
01-10-2004, 07:07 PM
In extremis, people have been known to put sand in the bellhousing.

I really would not recommend you try that.

If it has gone surprisingly quickly, be prepared for a leaking oil seal on the back of the crank, or something, as well as a clutch.

Sorry.

Paul
04-10-2004, 10:03 AM
OK, clutch all fixed ... the old one was shot to bits ... I think it was the original, which means it did almost 40,000 miles before finally giving up the ghost.

I can tell you that, at Marshall Honda in Reading ... trained NSX mechanic ... a new clutch will cost you £77.45 for the bearing and £824.01 for the clutch kit add on £416.50 for the 7 hours labour [£59.50per hour] then add on the VAT £230.64 and a new clutch will cost you a total of £1548.60p ... oh and they clean the car for you as well.

The interior drivers door handle broke on me not long ago ... so I'm tempting fate by continued use of the electric window to let myself out ... the door handle is in the region of £300 for the part ... will give you an update on that when it's done ... it's still en-route from Japan as the moment.

Update on door handle job ... parts £307.01, labour £29.75, VAT £58.93, total = £395.69.

BabyNSX
11-10-2004, 03:09 PM
could you not get an aftermarket performance clutch fitted for that money?