PDA

View Full Version : Running costs......££££££££

Papalazarou
10-03-2007, 08:09 PM
After posting about the fault I have with the A/C display, it started me thinking how much my car costs to run per year.

In the 18 months I've had my car I've driven 12K miles and this is what I've had to spent to date;

1 x oxygen sensor £60.00 (fitted myself)
1 x EPS control box £800!!
1 x wheel sensor £90 (fitted myself)

Servicing........

Cambelt + water pump service £550
Interim 6K service £120
60K service £325
Regass Free (customer did it as a favour)
MOT £50

Tyres........
2 x sets of rear £450
2 x set of front (upsized on the fronts to 17's so self inflicted) £400

To do......

fit new offside indicator lens (£100)
2 x boot struts (hopefully on their way next week - thanks Simon). £75
Sort out A/C display £?

Total: £2960.00 - £200 for self inflicted wheel upgrade)

= £2760.00

Fuel........

Working on an average of 24 miles per gallon (possibly a bit optimistic)
At £0.97 per litre or £4.40 per gallon.

Total fuel cost are £2200.00

Insurance/Tax.....

Ins..£450.00 F/C
Tax..£300.00 est (can't remember)

total = £750

£2760.00
£2200.00
£750.00
£5710.00

Or £0.47p per mile. (based on zero depreciation - also wishful thinking)

Cheers,

James.

P.s, I haven't included stuff I have done to improve the car, just basic running costs.

Steveycaz
10-03-2007, 08:33 PM
You're not supposed to do the maths James! Now I feel miserable! :mad:

rkanaga
10-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Yes, but you would lose that and some more in depreciation alone on just about any new BMW or Mercedes. Even a 911 would end up costing you £7000 ish in depreciation.

If you think of it as like a £350 per month lease equivalent and you're getting fuel, tax, MOT and insurance thrown in as well then it seems pretty good value to me! (for example £350 will get you a personal lease on a new VW Passat 2.0 TDi and you still have to pay for the fuel, tax, MOT and insurance. Which would you rather have that or an NSX!)

By far the biggest cost in a car is depreciation. You can buy depreciation proof used cars but they tend to be a bit, well, 'classic' (i.e. old fashioned so that you wouldn't really want to drive them everyday).

The NSX is unusual in that it still feels relatively modern and useable, but is pretty depreciation proof (the only other example I can think of is a Porsche 993. Any other suggestions?)

blue5
10-03-2007, 10:05 PM
So you fitted the sensor at last!

Lankstarr
10-03-2007, 10:39 PM
For comparison here are my running costs approx:

10 months' ownership - 9,000 miles

thermostat - £70
service - £170
tyres - 4 x rear 2 x front - £510
tax £190 pa - pro rata = £160
insurance £670 - prorata = £560
MOT £30

total - £1500

Self inflicted wheel refurb and Hids - £520

At £0.97 per litre or £4.40 per gallon and 250 miles per £50 of fuel

I get £1,800 for 9,000 miles worth of fuel (using my assns James' fuel costs would have come out at £2,250 so I don't think that we are far off the mark).

So £3,300 for 9000 miles, or 37p per mile or £4,000 for a year.

My car definitely has not depreciated and I don't think it will have done after 5 years of ownership so it's probably been cheaper for me to run than just about any new car you could buy!:cool:

kevinpsw
11-03-2007, 09:49 AM
12 months ownership, 5000 miles.

Interval Service: £185
Boot struts regass: £ 46
Miscellaneous small bits: £100
Repair Seat: £ 50
Replace lower part of spoiler: £200
Refurbish Wheels: £220
Upgrade Stereo: £720
Xenons £245
Insurance: £525
Tax: £175
Petrol (27 mpg) £ 814

Total: £3280/5000 = 65p per mile.

Maybe it is wishful thinking but I would like to think that the tidying up of the car and the upgraded lights and stereo will off set much of the depreciation.

My rear tyres will need to be renewed soon but this bill can be part of next year's running costs.

TheQuietOne
11-03-2007, 03:09 PM
I really wish I could be bothered to write this all down - but to sumarise bought June 2005 - have spent £650 in servicing, £520 on tyres, £750 p/a on insurance, £40 on a new oil pressure switch including fitting and that is it. Have also covered 31,000 miles in that time at an average of 360 miles per tank full of fuel. I would like to think I've lost about £4K on the value of the car in that period too given reent prices and the scarcity of the 3.2 pop-up models...:D

jaytip
11-03-2007, 04:32 PM
I really wish I could be bothered to write this all down - but to sumarise bought June 2005 - have spent £650 in servicing, £520 on tyres, £750 p/a on insurance, £40 on a new oil pressure switch including fitting and that is it. Have also covered 31,000 miles in that time at an average of 360 miles per tank full of fuel. I would like to think I've lost about £4K on the value of the car in that period too given reent prices and the scarcity of the 3.2 pop-up models...:D

How do you get so many miles out of a full tank? I mainly only do town driving but all i managed to get was just over 200.Moot point for me really now though because it's gone :(

TheQuietOne
11-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Just spent a lot of mile to begin with trundling up and down the motorway - now probably averaging about 320 with town driving.

Sorry to hear yours has gone but presumably take some of the financial pressure off. Do you think the new onwer will be joining the board?

Nick Graves
11-03-2007, 06:37 PM
And it costs the same as a Civic to service.

Try an OPC for silly prices!

Actually, when you see the depreciation some suffer on some depressing new box like an A3 or something, the NSX is almost free.

Lankstarr
11-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Matt always seems to get per tank ten anyone else I know... at first I thought I was doing something wrong, then I realised how much of a girl Matt is when it comes to driving and that he doesn't know what VTEC is - that's how he gets so many miles!!

Interestingly I think that my 3.2 NSX is marginally more economical than both my ITR and ATR were. Doesn't come close to the new CTR the wife has but I don't find myself paying any more in fuel than I used to.

TheQuietOne
11-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Matt always seems to get per tank ten anyone else I know... at first I thought I was doing something wrong, then I realised how much of a girl Matt is when it comes to driving and that he doesn't know what VTEC is - that's how he gets so many miles!!

Mate you would still be driving a diesel BX with hub craps if it wasn't for me...you should really start crediting me for saving you from a life of Citroen ownership (and showing you the true beauty of Honda's 7 years ago, instead of slagging off my driving at every oportunity...

Lankstarr
11-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Mate you would still be driving a diesel BX with hub craps if it wasn't for me...you should really start crediting me for saving you from a life of Citroen ownership (and showing you the true beauty of Honda's 7 years ago, instead of slagging off my driving at every oportunity...

Ahhh you love me for it really you little seceinto queen ;)

How about I slag off you're English instead... english degr'ee boy? How did you manage to get a 2:1 when you dont know how to use apostrophe's?

Papalazarou
11-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Luke and Matt; either stay on topic or reform Bros. I leave it up to you .(girls).

Cheers,

James.

P.s, Tom; regarding the wheel sensor; I fitted it today, took about two hours; actually quite enjoyed it. would have taken less time, but forgot to tie a piece of string to the bulkhead end so had to make some hooks to thread it through.

Cheers,

James.

TheQuietOne
11-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Luke and Matt; either stay on topic or reform Bros. I leave it up to you .(girls).

Cheers,

James.

P.s, Tom; regarding the wheel sensor; I fitted it today, took about two hours; actually quite enjoyed it. would have taken less time, but forgot to tie a piece of string to the bulkhead end so had to make some hooks to thread it through.

Cheers,

James.

Pot...kettle...??

jaytip
12-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Sorry to hear yours has gone but presumably take some of the financial pressure off. Do you think the new onwer will be joining the board?

I was very sad watching it being driven away.I kept making small talk just to put off watching it go:(

I have told the new owner about the board and given him the address so hopefully he will join up.

I get my new car later today.Please don't all bash me at once,it's a mondeo diesel:oops:

Papalazarou
12-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Pot...kettle...??

You know it Buttons!!

Cheers,

James.

AR
12-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Sorry to hear that Ivor. Is the owner local ( to us ).

PS do not feel bad about the mondeo, once you get on the rigs I am sure you'll have another NSX.

Cheers,

AR

jaytip
12-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Sorry to hear that Ivor. Is the owner local ( to us ).

PS do not feel bad about the mondeo, once you get on the rigs I am sure you'll have another NSX.

Cheers,

AR
Hi Ary.The guy who bought it is from Scotland,so not quite local,lol.
Regarding the rigs,i had an interview last monday (march 5) and i have been told i will get a start offshore as soon as the oil companys start recruiting greenhand roustabouts again.It may take a few months yet though.
Unfortunately i won't be getting another NSX in the foreseeable future.My plans have changed and i will be spending every second stint off from work abroad.That means i would only be driving the car for about 12 weeks of the year,so i don't think it would be worthwhile investing that sort of money into a car that i will hardly get to drive.

My new steed.

Lankstarr
12-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Ivor- you'll just have top keep your NSX wherever you are spending your time abroad :D

L*

jaytip
14-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Ivor- you'll just have top keep your NSX wherever you are spending your time abroad :D

L*
Thailand !! No thanks lol.I will probably be looking to relocate out there in the next 5 years or so if i can hack it on the rigs.