View Full Version : How often oil change for low users !

TheSebringOne
03-03-2007, 02:46 AM
I've already mentioned on other threads that I do less than 1000 miles a yr! I know that crap when we love the NSX & probably all petrol heads, my question is for the low mileage drivers out there, how often u change ur engine oil? With Honda charging about £130 for full synthetic change & a stamp in ur service book, is this an annual thing? When I check the oil its still golden! Then some people say change at least once a yr regardless of mileage as engine oil degrades with heat, highly reving/stressed engine & high combustion. I'm not money pinching, just want best for the car, but not over doing the TLC! :confused: :D

Kevin
03-03-2007, 09:34 AM
The service book say to change every 6 months if the mileage hasn't been reached. I would say that is excessive though. I'd change each year, but then I do it myself at a cost of £30 for the oil, and £10 for the filter. Which is cheaper than filling it up with petrol.

Silver Surfer
03-03-2007, 06:45 PM
How much would you charge to do mine?

SS ;)

amo
03-03-2007, 10:11 PM
id do it every 6 months if u dont give ur baby enough

thx amo

TheSebringOne
03-03-2007, 11:58 PM
" use" u mean?? Being quick with your typing, does'nt always mean u write all of what u meant 2 say? :confused: :D

reg
04-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Hi,

To be honest although it may be overkill you may as well get it changed per the schedule. To reduce the dealer cost supply your own oil always knocks a bit off the cost and isn't much of an effort for the saving. From my experience with different engines the oil when not used can remain effective for many months, especially if the car is locked away. I think ultimately the re-sale is something to be considered and dealer stamps (rightly or not) give future buyers confidence.

Senninha
04-03-2007, 12:26 AM
James,

Mine has averaged\5k per annum throughout its life so enjoys an annual pilgrimage to Norton Way Honda for its MOT and service book stamp. As you say, oil will break down when not in use.

For detailed advise, talk to the Opie Oil guys in the trader section.

Question: how many miles have you acrued zand over how many years? I'm guessing you have one seriously low mileage NSX??

Regards, Paul

TheSebringOne
04-03-2007, 01:43 AM
Cheers Paul,by June this yr, I have the car 3 yrs, so far done 2.5k miles !!
The car is at 35k or 36k now ! Hopefully I will get a better understanding frm the oil experts & maybe I can exceed 3k in 3 yrs as I'm off 2 the Japfest! As I intend 2 keep the car a very long time, want keep mileage low as poss. Less is more 2 me as it feels more special each time! :D

Kevin
04-03-2007, 10:17 PM
How much would you charge to do mine?

SS ;)

Are you asking me?

At the moment all my weekend is spent finishing of the garage. Senninha's car is already booked in for some work though!

TheSebringOne
05-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Cheers for changing my USERNAME for me, but aswell as being a handy man with your garage, u also service or work on ur fellow member's NSXs !! IS there anything that u can't do ?! :D

So r u a mechanic or just very good with motors? :rolleyes: