PDA

View Full Version : Extra Load Tyres ... ?

CrazyMixedUpKid
02-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Anyone out there a tyre guru?

I know the OEM tyres had stiffer sidewalls - which is always a compromise when buying other brands ...

I have Bridgestone Potenza RE 050 A 's on mine - rear tyre info is as follows:

255/35 R18 90Y BW

Bridgestone also do an 'extra load' version ...

255/35 R18 94Y XL

Question is: do extra load tyres basically have stiffer / stronger sidewalls? And if so - these would be better right?

Any thoughts anyone?

P.S. this is what Michelin have say about the new Pilot Sport PS2 Extra Load ....

The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Extra Load is a maximum performance tyre for super high performance sports cars. It is fitted as original equipment on cars such as the Mercedes SLR, Porsche GT2 & 3 and the Bugatti Vevron. It is a summer tyre and is not suitable for snow.

* The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Extra Load’s tread is constructed out of two different rubber compounds, hybrid silica and carbon black, part of Michelin’s highly guarded C3M Technology.
* The tread has been specifically designed for swift water dispersal to reduce the chances of aquaplaning.
* The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Extra Load’s tread design is supported by two high-tensile, lightweight steel cord belts and Aramid/nylon filaments for increased handling and high speed durability.
* The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Extra Load significantly outperforms not only its predecessor, but all other Michelin high-performance summer tyres.
* The tyre has been designed to take the higher weight of high performance sports cars.

simonprelude
02-03-2007, 11:58 AM
I would imagine the extra load must be made up in the side walls, after all that is where the load is carried.

markc
02-03-2007, 06:52 PM
.... BUT the extra load versions almost certainly have a differant "rubber" compound designed for the heavier vehicles listed SLR, Veyron etc althought the GT3 isn't too heavy.

This is likely to adversely effect grip if there is insufficient weight to press the tread it onto/into the road? This will be compounded very slightly if you also go with a wider tyre as the contact patch increases ie less weight per square inch, however this can be compensated for by lowering the tyre pressures.

Just my thoughts

Mark