PDA

View Full Version : Model years – differences? Prospective owner :)

mid-engined
13-09-2004, 08:22 PM
Hi guys!

I am a total newbie to the NSX. I have admired it for years, but now am seriously considering getting one. I have owned numerous mid-engined cars, as well as high-powered ones, but never a high-powered, mid-engined one. :D

I am intending to track the car occasionally, as well as use it for road trips. For me, only a manual change comes into question. I have heard that the targa compromises the car slightly (extra weight to fight the increased flexibility IIRC from "Car" magazine). Comments?

It's a bit difficult for a newbie to know what to search for... so may I ask a few q's?

I am looking at a 1995 3.0litre fixed top NSX and am very tempted. Anything that I really need to know about/look out for on an 1995 NSX?
Any big improvements since? (I know about the NSX-R, but that is a bit too pricey :? )
Does the 3.2litre make any significant difference?
Is the ABS upgrade of a few years back a major thing?

Thanks for your help

:D

BrownBear
14-09-2004, 08:01 AM
Hi guys!
Hi!

I am intending to track the car occasionally, as well as use it for road trips. For me, only a manual change comes into question. I have heard that the targa compromises the car slightly (extra weight to fight the increased flexibility IIRC from "Car" magazine). Comments?

If you track the car (or intend to), the coupe is better. There's not a wide-gulf between the coupe and the T-top, though, so it depends what you need... Maybe someone could confirm, but IIRC all of the later 3.0litres (93-97) had the same re-inforcement (ie: they're all equally heavy), but the targa is more,er, 'flexible' :)

I am looking at a 1995 3.0litre fixed top NSX and am very tempted. Anything that I really need to know about/look out for on an 1995 NSX?

Firstly, check out the FAQ on
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/faq.htm -
it should give you some useful pointers (and checks).

My advice is that Condition and History is everything (especially with the older cars) - if it doesn't have a full service history, think long and hard... they rarely ever go wrong, but when they do it's expensive! That said, they're not timebombs - you should expect it to be as reliable as a 'normal' car (ie: family car - not exotica) - so inspect it, check out the history etc - if it looks good, don't worry too much...:)

Any big improvements since? (I know about the NSX-R, but that is a bit too pricey :? )

AFAIK, there are no differences between NSX coupes between 94 and 97 (maybe different colour wheels).
Then, for UK cars anyway, we got the 3.2 in late 97 and the facelifted version in 2002 - again NSX prime has the full model history here -
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/modelinfo/modelinfo.htm

(we got our model-changes a year after the US, though)
Additionally none of the Type-R/S/S-Zero's were ever sold here (which is a big pity :( )

Does the 3.2litre make any significant difference?

Apparently so (but I can't confirm) - anyone?

Hope some of this helps -
cheers

mid-engined
14-09-2004, 11:09 AM
Hope some of this helps -
cheers

Thanks for the detailed reply – great link too :)

Welshman
14-09-2004, 02:56 PM
I think you'll find different kerb weights quoted for the coupe and T top - heavier for the latter.

3.2 gives more power and the 6 speed gearbox is more relaxing on a long drive.

Agree with Brownbear - condition and FSH are essential.

I've hear that NSXbaby is selling his. That would fall into your spec and by all accounts that is a straight car? I gather he's asking around £25k. Indeed he is - check the For Sale forum.

mid-engined
14-09-2004, 07:06 PM
I've hear that NSXbaby is selling his.

Thanks, I'd seen that already. I am actually considering a particular car which has a very low mileage for its age. I have yet to view it and have my first NSX test drive. 8)

Armed with what I've learned here, I'll probably be rectifying that very soon – wonder if I'll be captivated as so many clearly are?

Kevin
14-09-2004, 07:47 PM
Go on get an NSX, any NSX, and come along to Bedford Autodrome on the 20th Nov, for a track with RMA.

Oh, yeah anyone else too.

BrownBear
15-09-2004, 08:14 AM
I think you'll find different kerb weights quoted for the coupe and T top - heavier for the latter.

OK - my mistake :) Thanks for clarifying..

M/E- I wouldn't worry too much about mileage (unless it's stratospheric) - better to get a car that's been used regularly than one that has been stuck in a garage, gathering dust.

Cheers

Welshman
15-09-2004, 10:08 AM
[quote=Welshman]

M/E- I wouldn't worry too much about mileage (unless it's stratospheric) - better to get a car that's been used regularly than one that has been stuck in a garage, gathering dust.

I think there's a Canadian owner on NSXPrime who's done either 300,000 or 400,000 miles without anything major done to the engine other than oil and cam belt changes.

I think Jaytip's on 114,000 plus.

mid-engined
15-09-2004, 10:57 AM
[quote=Welshman]

I think there's a Canadian owner on NSXPrime who's done either 300,000 or 400,000 miles without anything major done to the engine other than oil and cam belt changes.

Reassuring to hear –*so, if I get a low mileage one, it will see me out! If Honda don't replace the NSX, now that the HSC has been canned, then it will be even more special 8)

Welshman
15-09-2004, 02:54 PM
[quote=Welshman]

Reassuring to hear –*so, if I get a low mileage one, it will see me out! If Honda don't replace the NSX, now that the HSC has been canned, then it will be even more special 8)

Yes, the heart says I'd like to see an NSX replacement but the head says No HSC = good for residuals

mid-engined
15-09-2004, 06:40 PM
Well, I've arranged to view and test drive my first NSX tomorrow. :)

Any particular weak points on the NSX that I should watch out for? I don't just mean mechanical things. Eg. any trim susceptible to wear that I might be able to point out and haggle about? :P Other suggestions?

Welshman
15-09-2004, 10:46 PM
Just do the usual checks for accident damage, the fact that it has a FHSH. If over 5 years old or >50,000 miles that it has had the cambelt changed.

Anything that strikes you as odd post details here.

ctrlaltdelboy
16-09-2004, 12:30 PM
I think Jaytip's on 114,000 plus.
mine too, except I blew my first engine at 103,000 - even then the damage wasn't too harsh with a 43,000 mile replacement sourced and installed for £3,500.

mid-engined
16-09-2004, 07:38 PM
Thanks for all the help and advice.

I have now test driven an NSX (3.0 coupé with under 17,000 miles).

It's certainly a nice car, but I have to admit that the dynamics were not as good as I had been hoping for and the "luxury" side was a little below par too.

I have an Opel Speedster (euro version of Vauxhall VX220) and a Nissan 300ZX TwinTurbo tuned to 340 bhp. I hoped that an NSX would combine the attributes of both to be irresistable.

Yes, the NSX has poise and balance, but sadly it is not as "alive", immediate and communicative as the Lotus chassis of the Speedster.

Yes, the NSX has power and comforts, but again, not to the extent that the ZX has.

It's a great car, guys – there's no doubt about that. It just doesn't do what I had hoped, but that's more a reflection on me than the car.

Thanks again

:)

BrownBear
17-09-2004, 07:08 AM
No problem at all - drop in anytime, maybe we'll convert you yet :)

Regards
Joe

SimonB
17-09-2004, 07:51 AM
For what it's worth I'd _strongly_ recommend trying a 3.2 before you decide not to buy an NSX. I've tried both (before buying a 3.2) and there is a signifcant difference.

As a comparison - the 3.0 felt like my 944 turbo - quick but not that fast. The 3.2 is like my E46 m3 - fast enough to turn passengers white (under carefully controlled circumstances, of course :wink: )

mid-engined
17-09-2004, 11:13 PM
strongly_ recommend trying a 3.2 before you decide not to buy an NSX.
If I happen across one, I may well give it a try :?

fast enough to turn passengers white (under carefully controlled circumstances, of course :wink: ) :P 8)