PDA

View Full Version : New dash gauges

mutley
24-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Any comments??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Reverse-Glow-Gauge-Acura-NSX-92-02-94-95-96-97-98-99-01_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43952QQihZ018QQitemZ 280085680718QQrdZ1

Jim

Silver Surfer
24-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Looks good. Would modernise the dash and bring it bang up to date. Also makes it clearer to read.......does it come in orange/red??

SS

mutley
24-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Looks good. Would modernise the dash and bring it bang up to date. Also makes it clearer to read.......does it come in orange/red??

SS

I have no idea, just spotted it on ebay. It does look a lot more modern, and I like the blue.

Jim

amo
24-02-2007, 11:07 PM
i do like them and will be ordering a set
if u intrested i can pay you or you pay me and we might save a little on postage

thx amo

mutley
24-02-2007, 11:11 PM
i do like them and will be ordering a set
if u intrested i can pay you or you pay me and we might save a little on postage

thx amo

You can't fault the price for the dials, but $46 is a bit steep for postage. If we could get a few sets (group buy??) and save a bit, I'd definately go for it.

amo
24-02-2007, 11:48 PM
You can't fault the price for the dials, but $46 is a bit steep for postage. If we could get a few sets (group buy??) and save a bit, I'd definately go for it.

iv have put a bid on a set

im going to have them sent to a mate in detriot then he can send them on to me

$46 dollers not that expensive half that £23 lol

i had a pulley sent from usa 1 got left behind and it cost the guy $81 and only ways 1lb luckly he left it home so it cost him

let me know if u still want a set
thx amo

mutley
24-02-2007, 11:59 PM
Yeah Amo,

I'll definately have a set, can you order them with your order? Let me know

Cheers

Jim

AR
25-02-2007, 01:05 AM
Any comments??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Reverse-Glow-Gauge-Acura-NSX-92-02-94-95-96-97-98-99-01_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43952QQihZ018QQitemZ 280085680718QQrdZ1

Jim

You asked for it. :)

For that price they can't be that accurately graduated. Also do not forget that the cluster is a delicate item and a pain in the nech to take appart. But if you like them that is all that matters.

Cheers,

AR

Senninha
25-02-2007, 09:45 AM
Amo & Mutley,

I note that no-one bid on these and this is probably a good thing. If you look closely, BOTH main dials have a cut out square, centrally below the centre hub. On UK cars we only need on the rev counter for the cruise light. You would have the old dash or the circuit board showing through this spare square.

It also looks like you need to remove the original guages, which will mean removing the needles. The needles are VERY VERY delicate. All of the dials are electronic and not cable driven. Damage one needle and you need a new dash for £4k!!

There is another tried and tested option here http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=2202 or if you want total OEM look, go the Procar and buy the R-dash.

Regards,

mutley
25-02-2007, 10:05 AM
AHHHHHHHHH,

Now I never thought of that, I thought that the dash clusters came apart fairly easily and it would be a direct replacepment. Well I shouldn't have known, what do you expext for $5!!

I still think that if it is posible to do this that it would really update the interior look of the car.

Do you know of anyother dash replacement?

Jim

Senninha
25-02-2007, 10:07 AM
As above http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=2202 but a little more than $5....

regards. Paul

mutley
25-02-2007, 10:17 AM
HI Paul,

Yeah I have seenn that thread, adn I agree that it was a job very well done, I don't think that it updates the look ( not really keen on the red dash rings anf the yellow needles).

If there was a way to do something like that but with different colours?

Jim

mutley
25-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Amo & Mutley,

.................................................. ......... If you look closely, BOTH main dials have a cut out square, centrally below the centre hub. On UK cars we only need on the rev counter for the cruise light. You would have the old dash or the circuit board showing through this spare square...........

There is another tried and tested option here http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=2202 or if you want total OEM look, go the Procar and buy the R-dash.

Regards,

Paul, That part of your post confussed me a little so I thought I'd go check. Both my main dials have this hole, TCS activation light in the rev counter, and the Cruise on light in the speedo, and mine is a UK car.

Senninha
25-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Both my main dials have this hole, TCS activation light in the rev counter, and the Cruise on light in the speedo, and mine is a UK car. Must have been one of the more subtle changes with the move to 3.2 I guess. Mine only has the CC in the tacho.

regards,

mutley
25-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Paul,

I see what you mean, had another look at your dash converstion, no TCS light in the rev counter.

How fiddly was it to do, do the needles pull off or is there a knock to it? and can you tell me about the back lighting, does the red colour come from the gauges or the bulbs?

how long did that take you? (cracking job by the way, but I'm not keen on the NSX R colours)

Cheers

Jim

Silver Surfer
25-02-2007, 06:09 PM
AR,

I am also interested in a set... for $5 what the hell.

Can I join on a group buy if you are going for it. Happy to share the shipping cost.

I think about the installing issue after.

SS

amo
25-02-2007, 08:05 PM
well i put a bid on a set so add ur name

if u want 1 ill get it all posted together

1/amo
2/mutley
3/ silver surfer

copy and paste

got 8h left so ill ask him b4 i pay
thx amo

mutley
25-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Nice one Amo,

Got to worth a try, if they look anythink like the pics, will definately modernise the cabin.

Cheers

Jim

Silver Surfer
25-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Guys,

I am new to this ebay business, do I just bid for $5 and wait?? please give advice regarding what I need to do. My ebay name is silversurferNSX as 'silversurfer' has been taken!!

SS :confused:

amo
25-02-2007, 10:48 PM
well i have sent an email to the seller askin if we can have 3 sets at the same cost and could they post them all together

pls give me the total including postage

thx amo

Silver Surfer
25-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Cheers.

SS

amo
27-02-2007, 11:56 AM
OK got update

the seller is willing to give us $3 off each lol lol lol

sorry if thats not takin the piss lol

thx amo

mutley
27-02-2007, 12:49 PM
OK got update

the seller is willing to give us $3 off each lol lol lol

sorry if thats not takin the piss lol

thx amo

Well unfortunately, he has us by the short and curlies, so we either want them or we don't!!

I'll still have a set if you want to go ahead with it.

Cheers

Jim

Senninha
27-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Jim,

How fiddly was it to do, do the needles pull off or is there a knock to it? and can you tell me about the back lighting, does the red colour come from the gauges or the bulbs?

Main thing is patience. Also, look on prime as you can download a schematic of the dash to show you where all the bolts/screws are located. You need to work from underneath and remove the knee pad first, then the cowl and finally the dash itself. If you decide to paint the rings as part of your conversion, they are very fragile so be careful. Lighting is integral to the unit.

how long did that take you? (cracking job by the way, but I'm not keen on the NSX R colours)

Thanks for the compliments, I went this route as I like the OEM appearance. Time wise, dash out in an hour, another hour to carefully dismantle. MIne are overlays so retain original gauge faces, not sure if your's will be complete replacement. If the latter, you may need to remove the needles, I didn't. There are mixed views to how sensitive these are. I heard that you can prise them off using a fork??

Good Luck all, hope this info helps.

regards, Paul

mutley
27-02-2007, 01:21 PM
HI Paul,

yeah that helped a lot, I'm not sure either if they are overlays or replacement, ( Hod did you overlay without removing needles? it looked like each dial was one piece)

But all going well I'll do sometning similar to you and photograph the stages.

Chees

Jim

DAVEMAT
27-02-2007, 02:53 PM
If you do end up painting and cracking one of the rings I have a spare set, since I replaced mine with alloy ones.

Silver Surfer
28-02-2007, 01:09 AM
Amo,

Is the seller happy to send all 3 in one shipment? Does that mean the Gauges now cost $1.95 each + shared shipment?

SS

amo
28-02-2007, 11:27 AM
hi mate no seller is happy to send in 1 package but will only give $3 off the price each thats off shipping

so he will pack it all togther and still charge nearly full price lol

for each postage so i told seller not to bother

thx amo

amo
05-03-2007, 09:21 PM
well went to pick my car up today and as its my bday tomorrow my bro had bought me the gauges from ebay the 1s we were looking at

well any way will take some picks tomorrow but still need conecting up

by they way they are silver dont know y i thought they were white

but looks britty good

thx amo

mutley
06-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Amo,

I think it does say that they are silver in the item description (suits me, as my car is silver woo-hoo)
can't wait to see the pics as I have bittenthe bullet and ordered a set too.

Cheers

Jim

PS Amo - can youi ask your brother how long they took to arrive?

PPS SilverSurfer - have yours arrived yet?

amo
06-03-2007, 07:10 PM
hi mate took 4 days from order to dilivery
very quick

thx amo

britlude
06-03-2007, 08:53 PM
it's a ebay seller trick to charge little for the item, then get their money back through inflated postage.

so he gets $50 for the item, but only pays ebay seller fees on $5.

at the end of the day the dials are still only £25, so still a bargain!!!!

mutley
06-03-2007, 10:24 PM
it's a ebay seller trick to charge little for the item, then get their money back through inflated postage.

so he gets $50 for the item, but only pays ebay seller fees on $5.

at the end of the day the dials are still only £25, so still a bargain!!!!

That is a fair point, Amo has had hid delivered and says they look quite good, so I'm looking forward to the delivery of my set. As you say, it was about £26 all in, so still a bargain.

Jim

Silver Surfer
06-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Still awaiting the payment details as the seller has told me he is not doing penpal anymore.

SS

mutley
06-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Still awaiting the payment details as the seller has told me he is not doing penpal anymore.

SS

That's weird, I paid with Paypal, I'll double check.

mutley
06-03-2007, 10:57 PM
Yep I just checked, payment went through yesterday ( 05th Mar 07).

And I checked his other sale items and it states that they only take paypal!.

Jim

Silver Surfer
06-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Hello,

Sorry we will not set up for the international paypal anymore, we will only take money order or cashier checks. let us know if you like to send us money order or cashier check, we will give you all the details.

thank you
specrracing

????:confused:

Is he trying to rip me off here ???

SS

mutley
06-03-2007, 11:50 PM
I don't know?? I wouldn't think so, Amo has his already, and my paypal done the currency conversion, so I don't know what's gon wrong there!.

Silver Surfer
07-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Just registered on paypal successfully and sent the requested amount (27 squids) and seem to have gone through. :D With email confirmation!!

Maybe the seller did not want to pay any commision to paypal???!?

I'll wait and see if it arrives.

SS

NB. any idea who will fit it?

mutley
07-03-2007, 12:40 AM
That sounds about right £26 odds.

I'm going to do it myself, shouldn't be too dificult.

mutley
07-03-2007, 01:47 AM
Hello,

Sorry we will not set up for the international paypal anymore, we will only take money order or cashier checks. let us know if you like to send us money order or cashier check, we will give you all the details.

thank you
specrracing

????:confused:

Is he trying to rip me off here ???

SS

Funny you should mention that, I have received the same email. I have replied to them and they told me that they have just recently stopped paypal, but that my item has been shipped and they have given me a tracking number. Drop them a line. ( I have kept ALL my email, ebay and paypal correspondance just incase)

Jim

amo
07-03-2007, 09:09 PM
hi mate if u wan me to email them let me know and ill send him 1, as i have fitted mine
will get some pics up after the weekend

thx amo

Silver Surfer
13-03-2007, 12:13 AM
My guage has arrived :p . Instructions are rather sparse and looks too easy to be true.

SS

amo
13-03-2007, 12:21 PM
be very carefull with the rev and speedo as they wont go over the back of the needle i had so slightly cut mine and it says do not remove needle so i never tried

thx amo

mutley
16-03-2007, 12:44 PM
HI Guys,

yeah mine arrived too, pretty quick I thought, and they do seem simple to fit, will give it a go when I get back to NI.

Jim

Silver Surfer
18-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Amo,

Any chance of piccies of your new installed gauge? Just like to see what it looks like before attempting to dismantle the dash. Does the needle light up at all??

SS

amo
19-03-2007, 11:36 PM
hi mate so sorry no pic yes u prob know where the car is now lol

next week ill get them up
if u can wait a week

thx amo

Silver Surfer
19-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Hi Amo,

Yep, your cat's out of the bag.

Unfortunately can't make Japfest so I'll wait for your pics. I'm in no hurry to install the gauges yet.

SS

mutley
28-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Amo, Silversurfer,

If all goes well I should ahve my dials fitted tomorrow and I'll get some pics up.

Jim

amo
28-03-2007, 08:54 PM
ok here is the only pic i got until i get my car back

hope it helps

thx amo

Silver Surfer
28-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Amo,

Can you see your new dash with that giant 'Mini Cooper" dial in the way??

SS :D

mutley
29-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Well got them in no problems at all, fitted easily over the needles and look pretty good, day and night, lot more modern.

I'll post up the pics tomorrow.

( The only thing I had to do was a little dab of glue to stick them onto the original dials as the wiring raised them a little and the needles stuck)

Cheers

Jim

Silver Surfer
29-03-2007, 09:31 PM
If it looks ace, can you do mine when you are you move to UK? Also, is it reversible with no residual evidence of the new gauge....I mean the glue residual.

SS ;)

mutley
30-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Here you go, some pics of the guages during install and after. I even got one in teh dark with them lighten up.

Yes I suppose you could reverse at a later stage. I only used very little amount of spray glue which I guess "should" be easilt removed, but don't quote me on that, that is an educated guess!!

Jim

Senninha
30-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Looks better than I thought it would guys

Jim, you could have painted the rings red while they were out to match your refreshed interior ....thinking about, Amo could have gone for Orange.

Just an idea

regards, Paul

mutley
30-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Looks better than I thought it would guys

Jim, you could have painted the rings red while they were out to match your refreshed interior ....thinking about, Amo could have gone for Orange.

Just an idea

regards, Paul

Yeah I thought about it, the rings round the little dials came off easily, the bigger ones didn't want to budge and I didn't want to force them. I wouldn't mind a chrome set from SoS though. Again, teh dash comes apart pretty easily, so may do it sometime, and I have to admit, they do look beter than I thought hey would too, for the price! only ONE small prob, the needles don't light up and I dissengaged the orange backlight, so I'm going to have to come up with another plan (one already formulating).

Silver Surfer
31-03-2007, 01:14 AM
I agree, the needle needs to light up somewhat. But looking good.

When are you in the UK longterm?

SS :p

mutley
31-03-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm moving to Bedfordshire on 18th June, but until I get to my new unit I won't know what's happening with training/detachments away. BUt I am sure that I'll be gien some time to myself. Will be playing with other illuminating ideas tonight to see if I can get the needles to show up without spoiling the blue backlit effect.