PDA

View Full Version : License plates

nigel
05-02-2007, 02:44 PM
The Americans are finally catching up with the English as far as photographing license tags and I have seen somewhere that you can buy a paint or something that will make the photo not come so they can't charge you. Does anyone know if they work and if so where can it be purchased?

Cheers
nigel

mutley
05-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Now this is a very touchy subject. If you browse the Net enough you'll find all sorts of wierd and wonderful approaches that tell you how to make your number plate "unreadable" I think you are refering to the spray that makes your number plate reflective so that when the camera takes a photo, all it gets back is a glow from your plate and then can't read the number. I have heard all sorts (from many different police agencies........me being one of them) that a lot of these stories are merely urban myths. I've heard about using cling film ,vaseline, angling your number plate etc, but all this tampering including any mystical spray is illegal. And I have to say that in the experience of the guys I know in Traffic Brach, nothing really works on number plates, (apart from the sneaky idea of using black tape to alter letters/numbers eg F int E 6 into 8 etc but also illegal.)

Having said all that I'm not saying that there isn't something that will work I'm sure there is, but I haven't heard of a solution that's 100%. (except smearing vaseline onto the lense of the camera, but again if you get caught doing that you'll be royaly humped)

Anyone add anything??

Jim

simonprelude
05-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Just that the alterations to plates can usually be seen to stick out like a sore thumb under HID's etc so if the police do want to start persuing people for attempting to pervert the cause of justice then you could be facing time at HMP without even speeding :(

mutley
05-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Just that the alterations to plates can usually be seen to stick out like a sore thumb under HID's etc so if the police do want to start persuing people for attempting to pervert the cause of justice then you could be facing time at HMP without even speeding :(

.....just like to add that perverting the course of justice can mean banged up for 2 years....I'll have the points and 60 quid fine instead please!

Jim

reg
05-02-2007, 04:17 PM
The Americans are finally catching up with the English as far as photographing license tags and I have seen somewhere that you can buy a paint or something that will make the photo not come so they can't charge you. Does anyone know if they work and if so where can it be purchased?

Cheers
nigel

Stuff that doesn't work;
1. Reflective paint. The imaging software can correct brightness/contrast
2. 'Invisible plates' made using reflective inks, the images are inverted and the numbers come out clear
3. Flash guns/spots on bumper triggered by photocell, either too slow or see above.

Stuff that works;
1. Driving slower :p
2. Spraying WD40 onto plates to attract road film
3. Velcro plates not very practical in a car
4. Changing plate numbers.

Basically you get caught with a crud covred plate and the car is spotless you will get fined. Velcro'd plates will get you in hotter water and changing your numbers completely you are playing with fire.

No real way round it, get a good GPS system and keep your wits about you. Failing that adopt a plummy English accent and mention that you might know the cops relatives twice removed and you could be let off :D

Papalazarou
05-02-2007, 05:21 PM
you forgot, 'removing the plate altogether!' Don't forget to remove the tax disk at the same time.

Cheers,

James.

mutley
05-02-2007, 09:08 PM
you forgot, 'removing the plate altogether!' Don't forget to remove the tax disk at the same time.

Cheers,

James.

or to be a real twat, copy someone elses number plate.....not so easy with the NSX being fairly rare but any other car, well it's not rocket science.

Jim

AR
05-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Please don't tell me that they have that in Florida now!

The only thing that works is removing the plates as James said.

Cheers,

AR

Senninha
05-02-2007, 10:53 PM
This is the easiest 'nick' there is to avoid ........slow down!

I know several traffic police who advise that 30, 40, 50 speed limits are there for a reason and if observed, you have little to worry about from fixed or mobile safety devices (speed cameras to you and me).

So that leaves you with national speed limits, or 'Go' signs as sometimes referred.

But of course, thats just 70 on m-ways and duals, but only 60 on A roads .... yes 60 is the limit even if the national speed limit sign is shown when the road consists of single opposing traffic lanes! I learned this one the hard way many years back with a recorded 96 on the A414 earning me 6 points and £500 :mad:

Then of course there's observation skills that should keep you safe. I've not used any of the GPS camera detection systems so can't comment on there effectiveness (but I know 2 people who have them AND lots of speeding points!!)

As for messing with plates in any way, I live in Essex where the nice Police officers would spot a tampered plate from a mile away and its this keeness to enforce that prevents me from adopting the clean US look of no plate at the front :(

regards

Papalazarou
05-02-2007, 11:17 PM
or to be a real twat, copy someone elses number plate.....not so easy with the NSX being fairly rare but any other car, well it's not rocket science.

Jim

Jim, what did you say your reg was?:p

Cheers,

James.

nigel
06-02-2007, 04:50 PM
I realize that the only true way is to slow down but in most cases, slow sucks.

Cheers
nigel

Rob_Fenn
06-02-2007, 05:22 PM
You're right, but then maybe all you need to do is plan your journey so you re-route around locations normally swarming with police/cameras.

General road driving bores the hell out of me, so i often pick 'non-motorway route' on the sat nav!

mutley
06-02-2007, 06:02 PM
You're right, but then maybe all you need to do is plan your journey so you re-route around locations normally swarming with police/cameras.

General road driving bores the hell out of me, so i often pick 'non-motorway route' on the sat nav!

Yeah I agree there, I've seen myself doing that too, if it's a nice day and not in a hurry, I'll leave the motorway and go for the cross country roads. Much more enjoyable.

Jim