PDA

View Full Version : Tyre grip

Lankstarr
02-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Another tyre thread I'm afraid!!

My car is seeming a lot more twitchy at the moment and don't know if it's just the slimey slidy road situation or time to replace the rears.

I have about 2.671345 mm of tread on the rears and although the wear is slightly more on the edges they're not half as bad as the pics Mark C posted of his baldies (tyres!).

I've been told that I would be wasting my money changing now and that new rears would slip equally but don't know what to believe! IF they need replacing I'd rather do it sooner than later as when using your car every day at this time of year you need the best grip possible (well I do anyway!).

So ... when do tyres need replacing ad when do they start losing their grip?

Thanks,

Luke

Steveycaz
02-02-2007, 09:42 AM
As a rule you should not let your rears go below 2.67135 mm!;) But seriously, the roads are really slippy around here at the moment (especially this morning in Basingstoke area!). I'm noticing the difference in grip in my 1.8 Astra with 4mm all round, so a high-performance rear-wheel drive car is bound to suffer. Safety first mate - if they feel like they need changing, then change them!

Lankstarr
02-02-2007, 10:06 AM
They do feel like they need changing but maybe I should just be more controlling with my toe at the moment! I don't want to change them and put a new set on that will react exactly the same way. I'm not one for wasting good tread, equally if she needs she gets (goes for the car as well).

Any non-Astra drivers' opinions would be appreciated ;o)

reg
02-02-2007, 10:32 AM
I had some slides at the weekend and although my rears are shagged it was more down to the crud on the road. In the dry I am pretty sure I wouldn't be bothered at all. The only time I would change them in this weather is when they are not legal anymore as I dont get any sense of enjoyment driving in slippery conditions.

If you like the wet/slippery stuff then change them at 3mm. If it were my money I wouldn't bother keep the car off the road in the silly season and save the money for some rubber destruction (hmmm) in the summer which IMO is a better way to waste tread ;)

From the United Kingdom Communiust Party

A minimum of 1.6mm in a continuous band throughout the central three-quarters of the tread width, throughout the whole of the circumference

simonprelude
02-02-2007, 11:13 AM
I have just had the same dilemma on the S2000.

I spent the £202 to ensure I was safe.

On the S2000 specific S02 Bridgestone recommend the tyres are changed when they get to 3mm. The compound changes at this level and is for tyre construction rather than grip.

If in doubt change them, it's not worth the risk to yourself or your car.
If it was summer now (as per Mark's trip) I would say stick with them for a while longer.

Lankstarr
02-02-2007, 11:33 AM
[QUOTE=reg]
If you like the wet/slippery stuff then change them at 3mm. If it were my money I wouldn't bother keep the car off the road in the silly season and save the money for some rubber destruction (hmmm) in the summer which IMO is a better way to waste tread ;)
[QUOTE]

If I kept the car off the road in silly season I'd be on the bus half of the year :lol:

Just quoted £211 incl VAT for the rears - getting them changed tomorrow.

Toying with the idea of keeping the old ones for the track day but at £40 + time to swap on and off and off and on that's 20% of another set!

If I didn't change and had a spin I'd feel a bit silly for not forking out a couple of hundred:)

simonprelude
02-02-2007, 11:48 AM
What you need is a spare set of rear wheels :)

Toying with the idea of keeping the old ones for the track day but at £40 + time to swap on and off and off and on that's 20% of another set!

If I didn't change and had a spin I'd feel a bit silly for not forking out a couple of hundred:)

Minch
02-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Hi Luke,

What tyres are you getting? I'm gonna need to change mine fairly soon.

Cheers
Nathan

Minch
02-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Just seen the other 'TYRES' thread Luke. Where did you go for those? Local to you? How much for the fronts too?

Cheers

mutley
02-02-2007, 12:26 PM
My car seems a little twitchy in this weather/temp conditions but I wouldn't say overly so. Even the work cars I use tend to wheel spin a fair bit, so I put it down to road conditions ( oh and maybe the fact that I have discovered that the tyres I have are summer tyres and not designed for winter conditions).

All I can add is an echo to other posts and that personaly if they are well within the legal limits, I'd just be a little less heavy right footed, but if safety is paramount then change them for peace of mind.

Jim

reg
02-02-2007, 12:54 PM
I found that event tyres were very good on price. My local place say they will match them like for like so it might be worth trying that as well? Safety is the first consideration, TBH i drive 'economically' this time of year as most of my accidents (touch wood) happened in poor conditions. 3mm seems the tyre manufacturers choice, buth then they would say that ;)

Lankstarr
02-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Just seen the other 'TYRES' thread Luke. Where did you go for those? Local to you? How much for the fronts too?

Cheers

Actually a place in Abingdon but had 2 quotes for the same.

Didn't ask about fronts but paid £376 for all 4 corners when I got the car.. from this price for the rears I don't think that it has changed - so 70 + VAT for front and 90 + Vat for rears.. all fitted and balanced of course!

Jim... peace of mind it has to be!

Lankstarr
02-02-2007, 02:50 PM
I found that event tyres were very good on price. My local place say they will match them like for like so it might be worth trying that as well? Safety is the first consideration, TBH i drive 'economically' this time of year as most of my accidents (touch wood) happened in poor conditions. 3mm seems the tyre manufacturers choice, buth then they would say that ;)

Most of your accidents Reg!!? makes it counds like loads!

I've only had 1 and it was this time of year when the back stepped out at about 100 :( ... microns per millisecond of course :lol:

reg
02-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Most of your accidents Reg!!? makes it counds like loads!

2x Mini's, 1x Metro, 2 road bikes.

I was a problem child :p

TheQuietOne
02-02-2007, 03:34 PM

I still am! :D

Lankstarr
02-02-2007, 04:01 PM
2x Mini's, 1x Metro, 2 road bikes.

Nothing bigger thana shopping trolley then!!

Now you have a full scale model you should be fine :lol:

gsuds
04-02-2007, 10:28 AM
My handling (well, the car's...) well squirmy just now but as said on other thread it's cause 1 rear in particular now illegal...but felt "off" for a while. Haven't been checking tread :oops: :oops: :oops: as just got 'em 4K miles ago (yes, I know, lesson well learned). Must admit that in all cars owned I've tended to change tyres well before legal limit as handling definitely changes before this, and would seem even more necessary to do this in NSX.