PDA

View Full Version : Updated rear light clusters

mutley
01-02-2007, 06:37 PM
HI All,

I think we have had this discussion before, but anyway here goes.

Does anyone else agree that one thing that lets the NSX down (IMHO) is that the rear light clusters look dated? I know that the only real option at the moment is possibly to go for the 02+ rear clusters that aren't really that diferent maybe apart from the round indicator.

Now I know that a lot of the hard-line NSX owners out there like to keep the car stock and I remember the slating I took for mentioning the Fortune Masity body kit by Veilside, but I do have to say that the rear lights on that kit look a lot more modern than the standard.

Views anyone?

Jim

Rob_Fenn
01-02-2007, 07:39 PM
I think you're right in that they look a little dated, but then i'd say the whole car (pre-facelift) is really. I definetly think facelift lights freshen things up though.

The Veilside lights look like a rip off from some Ferrari, whereas at least the NSX's tailights are unique... In fact i don't know how anyone could like the Veilside kit!

mutley
01-02-2007, 08:08 PM
I think you're right in that they look a little dated, but then i'd say the whole car (pre-facelift) is really. I definetly think facelift lights freshen things up though.

The Veilside lights look like a rip off from some Ferrari, whereas at least the NSX's tailights are unique... In fact i don't know how anyone could like the Veilside kit!

Yeah that's a fair point, the veilside ones do look like they have been nicked off a Ferarri, but I do like the look of the front end of the kit.

As for the whole car looking dated, well I suppose it does a little, but that's nothing a little tweeking with new valances can't solve, and maybe a NSX-R vented bonnet. The lights are pretty unique, but even keeping that shape/style but a bit more "sparkier" rather than dull plastic if you know what I mean, I think would make a world of difference.

Maybe that's just me, and as I don't think that there is such a thing as aftermarket lights for the NSX I suppose I'll just have to grin and bear it............. or maybe build some custom lights!!! Now there is a little project!

Jim

reg
01-02-2007, 08:17 PM
IMO when you start to mess with the appearance of any car you can end up with a bit of a mess! I don’t know if I am the only person in the world who thinks the NSX-R looks a bit 'bitsa' rather than a coherent design. Initially thought of swapping the rear lights but I don’t look at them very often and a$$ to anyone behind. The car is what it is, a 90's supercar with all the good and bad elements, I have accepted this and now am much happier.

Who wants to look like anything else!!!!

mutley
01-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Hmmmmm More good points there. I don't want to look like anything else, I bought an NSX because that's what I wanted, and yes ok it's a 90's car, but I don't think that there is anything wrong with a little modernisation ( is that a word??) I'm just a fussy git that like to "improve" things (I use the word improve very loosly as I know that everyones taste is very different on this mater)

Jim

P.S I like starting these type of threads, gets a good conversation going.

reg
01-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Hmmmmm More good points there. I don't want to look like anything else, I bought an NSX because that's what I wanted, and yes ok it's a 90's car, but I don't think that there is anything wrong with a little modernisation ( is that a word??) I'm just a fussy git that like to "improve" things (I use the word improve very loosly as I know that everyones taste is very different on this mater)

Jim

P.S I like starting these type of threads, gets a good conversation going.

Years ago this guy I worked with told me a tale.

He had a Victorian house with all period stuff. In the 70's and 80's he 'modernised' it and then in the 90's suddenly realised that the he hated it and that Victorian stuff was actually cool because it was not strictly fashionable. He then spent 2 years sourcing original Victorian fittings etc and ended up back where he had begun!

Moral........if you want something fashionable be prepared for it to go back out of fashion and to pay through the nose for the privilege.

Senninha
01-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Just my 2p's worth ....

We have each bought the NSX for our own reasons and whilst within our ownership, IMO, we are free to do as we wish to our cars. That said, I really think that there are only 4 routes open to road going NSX owners

1. Keep whatever model you have absolutely stock and maintain to the highest standard you can - there are some truly fabulous examples to admire
2. Within the guides of the 02 model, refresh the earlier models with some OEM (or replica) parts, sill, valance etc depending on your requirements. This would address the 'modernisation' owners.
3. NA2 Type R -very popular stateside - an extension of (2) above
4. Build something very bespoke like Amo owns - braver man than me but if its what you want then bl***y good luck to you and enjoy yourself

The caveat to 2 + 3 is to retain the parts your refresh to enable restoration to OEM should you wish too at the time of sale.

Regards

Lankstarr
02-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Although I wouldnt be changing the 02 lights if I had them IMO I think the pre 02 lights look better... I just hate those big ugky orange bits in themm!

Steveycaz
02-02-2007, 09:48 AM
I bought an NSX as I consider it a classic (already). If I wanted a modern-looking car I'd buy a modern car. Honda being Honda, IMO their '90's car actually looks more '80's. But guess what... the 80's are in!

mutley
02-02-2007, 12:17 PM
I bought an NSX as I consider it a classic (already). If I wanted a modern-looking car I'd buy a modern car. Honda being Honda, IMO their '90's car actually looks more '80's. But guess what... the 80's are in!

Hmmmmmm all of the above posts have given me food for thought...... so it's time to break out the chest wigs, medallions and the Miami Vice soundtrack ;)

Jim

PS would still like more crystal style rear lights, but seems like I'm pissing against the wind as they don't exist.

TheQuietOne
02-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Just my 2p's worth ....

We have each bought the NSX for our own reasons and whilst within our ownership, IMO, we are free to do as we wish to our cars. That said, I really think that there are only 4 routes open to road going NSX owners

1. Keep whatever model you have absolutely stock and maintain to the highest standard you can - there are some truly fabulous examples to admire (Thanks Paul ;))
2. Within the guides of the 02 model, refresh the earlier models with some OEM (or replica) parts, sill, valance etc depending on your requirements. This would address the 'modernisation' owners.
3. NA2 Type R -very popular stateside - an extension of (2) above
4. Build something very bespoke like Amo owns - braver man than me but if its what you want then bl***y good luck to you and enjoy yourself

The caveat to 2 + 3 is to retain the parts your refresh to enable restoration to OEM should you wish too at the time of sale.

Regards

Very well put...the main thing for me is whatever you do, do it properly, and never skimp on looking after the NSX the way it should be!

mutley
02-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Is there anyone on my side in agreement here, all I want is nice shiney rear lights instead of dull plastic...... go one someone make me feel better.......or maybe I'll just go in the huff and shut up!

Jim

TheQuietOne
02-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Is there anyone on my side in agreement here, all I want is nice shiney rear lights instead of dull plastic...... go one someone make me feel better.......or maybe I'll just go in the huff and shut up!

Jim

I think its time to shuffle of in a huff! As I've told you before - the Nova you're going to buy for your rear view mirror gadgets is the test bed for all you 'ideas' on improvements to the NSX! :D

mutley
02-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Hurumph!!!

Anyway on a serious note, maybe some are reading me wrong, I'm not talking about a total change (like the rip-off ferarri veilside stuff) I mean the same design (but I agree with not too keen on the orange round indicators 02+) Keep the rear exactly the same just a little more reflective as the more modern cars are.

While I'm having a rant, was there ever a version that had the rear "H" badge illuminated?? Did the USDM Acura have this?
Jim

Papalazarou
02-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Very well put...the main thing for me is whatever you do, do it properly, and never skimp on looking after the NSX the way it should be!

Does that mean you're going to clean your car? (meow)

Cheers,

James.

Lankstarr
02-02-2007, 06:27 PM
It would be nice if you could justr get replacement gubbins and have leds rear lights

mmmmmmm

britlude
02-02-2007, 07:34 PM
i guess you mean you want either lexus style, which might look a bit too 'flight of the navigator', or a more modern style, where the silvered reflectors do all the work, with just a plain red tint smooth cover (no diffuser, looks cleaner/crisper!)

mutley
02-02-2007, 09:17 PM
.................................., or a more modern style, where the silvered reflectors do all the work, with just a plain red tint smooth cover (no diffuser, looks cleaner/crisper!)

Yup, that's exactly what I mean, if only they existed.
Jim

gumball
03-02-2007, 12:23 PM
I was just thinking the rear lights on my countach looked dated, I think i'll get some neon rond ones.

amo
03-02-2007, 09:21 PM

Jim

im with u mate forget all them old ppl

lol

thx amo

AR
03-02-2007, 11:28 PM
I like my NSX-R Dark lights, but also like the fried egg ones LOL.

Cheers,

AR

reg
04-02-2007, 12:17 AM
While I'm having a rant, was there ever a version that had the rear "H" badge illuminated?? Did the USDM Acura have this?
Jim

I am sure this could be done with some DIY.

I thought about buying newer rear light lenses. However I figured I would rather improve on things that I can feel rather than things others would see.

What about a Procar spolier, much improved looks.

mutley
05-02-2007, 01:23 PM
im with u mate forget all them old ppl

lol

thx amo

Cheers mate, I'm feeling better now LOL

Jim

mutley
05-02-2007, 01:25 PM
I am sure this could be done with some DIY.

I thought about buying newer rear light lenses. However I figured I would rather improve on things that I can feel rather than things others would see.

What about a Procar spolier, much improved looks.

Yeah I have had all the lights off the car (to do the hole-drill-condensation-thing) adn I think that it'd be relatively simple to pop a bulb in the H badge bit.

Might give it a go if I get bored one day.

Jim

NSXGB
05-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Jim,
Have a wee search on Prime, a guy has done what you are proposing with the lit up Acura/Honda lens.....

mutley
05-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Cheers Simon, I'll have a look.

Also the space at the end of the light clusters looks as though another side light/brake bulb could be fitted, is that possibly JDM/USDM fitment anyone?

Jim

britlude
05-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Cheers Simon, I'll have a look.

Also the space at the end of the light clusters looks as though another side light/brake bulb could be fitted, is that possibly JDM/USDM fitment anyone?

Jim

if you mean the corners above the indicators... they are the reflectors..

else, if it helps, JDM (from the centre outwards) have reverse, side, brake/side, brake/side, indicator!

mutley
05-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Na, I don't mean the reflectors at the top, I mean in next to the the single side light in what you describe as JDM. I think I oly have (inside out) reverse/fog, side, side/brake, indicator

britlude
05-02-2007, 09:24 PM
if it will make it easier... here's mine with side lights on.... JDM, about 4 minutes ago!!!

mutley
05-02-2007, 09:27 PM
ah ok....hmmm good idea, be right back!!

mutley
05-02-2007, 09:35 PM
a bit dark, but as you see I have one set of side lights, where you have 3

mutley
05-02-2007, 09:36 PM
So I suppose what I am saying is that I'd like the JDM rear clusters!!!

britlude
05-02-2007, 09:41 PM
sir, you have some bulbs out!!! Also when I brake, the outer 2 each side light up, as well as the light sabre on the wing! and i've wired the inner brake lights (middle bulbs) to double up as the fog lights!

mutley
05-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Na that's it, here's with the side lights and brake lights ( I don't have one in the spoiler )

mutley
05-02-2007, 09:51 PM
It would appear that I have i set side lights and 1 set brake lights.

Anyone else confim or concur??

Cheers
Jim

britlude
06-02-2007, 10:02 PM
just to complete the set brake lights!!! .... sorry, not the best angle, but it's cold out!!!!!

mutley
06-02-2007, 10:34 PM
Well I've said it before and I'll say it again, those rear lights certainly look better than mine with the extra brake/side lights and the spoiler brake light.

Jim