30-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Best money I ever spent on the X!

S5 with no Hids:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/lankstarr2/Casio20061002464.jpg

Hid fest

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/lankstarr2/Casio20061002478.jpg

NSXGB
30-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Can't see any of the pics in your posts??

Maybe my works server is blocking them...

Martin
30-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Luke,Luke,Luke
You need to get out more!
All work and no play will make you a dull actuary :-)
Hid fest, whatever next!

Senninha
31-01-2007, 12:30 AM
Can't see any of the pics in your posts??

Maybe my works server is blocking them...

I see ......... nothing but red crosses in your posts :( not sure what the problem is, maybe need to reduce size of images??

regards

Paul

simonprelude
31-01-2007, 01:11 AM
I can see them fine, however I wouldn't worry too much ;)

NSXGB
31-01-2007, 01:16 AM
I see ......... nothing but red crosses in your posts :( not sure what the problem is, maybe need to reduce size of images??

regards

Paul

Don't even get red crosses.
Are they hosted in imageshack or something? That would explain why they don't appear for me.

Minch
31-01-2007, 01:17 AM
Haven't done mine yet :(

NSXGB
31-01-2007, 01:18 AM
....sussed it....photobucket. Not allowed by my server.

Please upload to NSXCB! :D

simonprelude
31-01-2007, 01:36 AM
Here you are.

NSXGB
31-01-2007, 02:05 AM
Thanks Simon.

Senninha
31-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Thanx SimonP

Any chance you could address the same problem for Lukes other posts here seeing as how he's gone AWOL since posting :)

regards

simonprelude
31-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Done as requested :)

Thanx SimonP

Any chance you could address the same problem for Lukes other posts here seeing as how he's gone AWOL since posting :)

regards

WhyOne?
31-01-2007, 10:48 AM
About time we had another of these sessions.......Dan???!!???!

simonprelude
31-01-2007, 11:14 AM
I might be tempted also after the move :)

Siofkent
31-01-2007, 11:41 AM
I was due to start a thread on this subject but glad its been brought up

Does anyone else find the 1991 NSX headlights on dipped absolutely effing terrible

When I am hammering it around the twisties in the Weald of Kent where I live, I can see close to feck all past 10 metres in front of me (no road lights where I live)

I turn on front fogs all the time for extra width but no further distance

Please please please someone tell me these lights are the answer????
Si of Kent
1991 Silver manual

reg
31-01-2007, 12:02 PM
They are no better on later pop ups I can assure you. Am wondering if there are bulbs or candles up front!

Siofkent
31-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Its all right for Senna when battering his test car round Suzuka during the day, but us normal folk have to content with road conditions, and Saxo VTR's as little play toys !!!

;)

simonprelude
31-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Have you tried the Super brilliance H4 and H1 bulbs available at Halfords ??
They are better than the standard ones by a long way, but not a good as these.

TheQuietOne
31-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Its all right for Senna when battering his test car round Suzuka during the day, but us normal folk have to content with road conditions, and Saxo VTR's as little play toys !!!

;)

Get yourself some of Dan's HID's they are amazing. I have had them in my car since last winter and they have improved night driving 1000 times! They also look super cool if you have a silver car!

kevinpsw
31-01-2007, 02:43 PM
I have owned BMWs with xenons and, whilst there was so much about my NSX that I did like when I got it, the OEM headlights were really poor.

I have since installed xenon kits as supplied by DTA Motorsport and they are a significant improvement (although still not as good as an X5). An excellent guide to fitting was provided by DTA and even I was able to install them with no difficulty. The sidelights I bought at the same time were more of a problem though and you really need the car up on a ramp (or stands I suppose) to get decent access to the mounting screws.

RECOMMENDED.

I paid £245 as part of a group buy but I have seen what looks to be much cheaper sets on USA Ebay. Bear in mind, of course, that postage and tax charges would have to be added on anything coming from the US.

gsuds
31-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Have to concur with the above - appalling standard lights, especially for the sort of speeds an X is capable of.

HID kit from DTA very much the answer. Depending on year of car, getting popup covers off can be a pain - later (plastic) screws fine but my metal ones had well and truly corroded on. You can get to the sidelights without a ramp, although it's tight - recommend using a headtorch!

Graham

DTA-Motorsport
01-02-2007, 01:19 AM
Hi Guys,

Apologies for chiming in so late on this thread but I've been slugging my guts out on a renovation project at our rental property ... (mental note: if you can pay someone to do the work for you bloody do it!)

I am glad to read that various people are pleased with our HID kit (and installation guide). They [the HID kits] do improve the light output onto the road significantly and at the same time update the look of the car (at night) although that is of secondary importance.

Installation is very straight forward as the kit is a direct replacement for the standard H1 halogen bulbs. No modifications to the wiring loom are required and all the appropriate connectors are supplied in the kit.

I am about to post a GROUP BUY thread in the DTA-MOTORSPORT section of the forum so if you're interested please make your way there for more information.

All the best,

Dan

simonprelude
01-02-2007, 01:27 AM
Does that include 'professional' fitting ??

I am about to post a GROUP BUY thread in the DTA-MOTORSPORT section of the forum so if you're interested please make your way there for more information.

DTA-Motorsport
01-02-2007, 01:56 AM
Hi Simon,

Unfortunately, if I am to accommodate up to 7 cars I will need the use of a work unit - somewhere I can work under cover and well lit. That means I need to charge a small fee per installation - shouldn't be more than £30~£40 per car though. Can also accommodate an individual fitting session either at my residence or at yours. In the case of the latter I will charge for my travel expenses on top of my normal £30/hr labour fee.

The HID GB post is now up so have a look on there for further info.

Good night,

Dan

Lankstarr
01-02-2007, 09:02 AM
apologies for going AWOL, not ben on much recently as I've been mega busy:shock:

Thanks for sorting the pics out Simon, you'll have to teach me one day how to get them all on the site properly!

Luke

Nick Graves
23-02-2007, 06:23 PM
What did you go for?

OEM or a Fleabay kit?

How good is the beam?

TheQuietOne
24-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Hi Simon,

Unfortunately, if I am to accommodate up to 7 cars I will need the use of a work unit - somewhere I can work under cover and well lit. That means I need to charge a small fee per installation - shouldn't be more than £30~£40 per car though. Can also accommodate an individual fitting session either at my residence or at yours. In the case of the latter I will charge for my travel expenses on top of my normal £30/hr labour fee.

The HID GB post is now up so have a look on there for further info.

Good night,

Dan

Just for everyone's information I am more than happy to provide my factory premisis for this day - there is parking for about 20 cars, a nice pub on the canal 2 minutes walk from it and it is only a matter of minutes from where Dan and I live. Just food for though in case a group fitting session is the preffered option. Post code B60 4BD if people want to see how faesable it is (assuming Dan would be happy to do it there!?!?)

Cheers, Matt.

DTA-Motorsport
28-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Just for everyone's information I am more than happy to provide my factory premisis for this day - there is parking for about 20 cars, a nice pub on the canal 2 minutes walk from it and it is only a matter of minutes from where Dan and I live. Just food for though in case a group fitting session is the preffered option. Post code B60 4BD if people want to see how faesable it is (assuming Dan would be happy to do it there!?!?)

Cheers, Matt.

Am always happy to take advantage of your kind hospitality Matt ;-) Since the Group Buy is dead in the water this is kind of a moot point at this time but definitely something to keep in mind for any future fitting sessions. Thanks very much for the offer Matt - speak to you soon.

Regards,

Dan

Lankstarr
28-02-2007, 08:02 PM
to see how faesable it is

I know where I'll be coming for my spelling advice, trusty Matt with his 2.1 in english :lol:

TheQuietOne
28-02-2007, 10:47 PM
I know where I'll be coming for my spelling advice, trusty Matt with his 2.1 in english :lol:

Well Desmond I wouldn't be taking the mick if I were you...:p

Rob_Fenn
07-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Are these actually legal? I read this on another forum

From the DfT:

December 2006

Aftermarket HID headlamps

In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

The following is the legal rationale:

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.
In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

If you require any further information regarding the regulations covered by this fact sheet, please contact the DfT at the address below:

Transport Technology and Standards 6
Department for Transport
Zone 2/04
Great Minster House
76 Marsham Street Telephone: 020 7944 2078
London Fax: 020 7944 2196
SW1P 4DR Email: TTS.enquiries@dft.gsi.gov.uk

Lankstarr
08-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Hi rob,

I think that this has been covered before with the conclusion that Dan's kits are legal and fully stamped up to confiorm with what they need to.

Luke

TheQuietOne
08-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Hi rob,

I think that this has been covered before with the conclusion that Dan's kits are legal and fully stamped up to confiorm with what they need to.

Luke

Yup re-post and concluded else where!

MattS
08-03-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm not convinced that they are legal.

Just because the seller says that they are and that he has some stamps, doesn't mean that they are.

Read again what the DfT say "In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above".

Steveycaz
08-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Why not check with your MOT centre manager prior to buying? If he's happy then job's a good'n!

TheQuietOne
08-03-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm not convinced that they are legal.

Just because the seller says that they are and that he has some stamps, doesn't mean that they are.

Read again what the DfT say "In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above".

Does this really warrant so much discussion, I would think there is 1,000,000 more times the chance of getting done speeding in our cars than being pulled over by the police and having our headlights unbolted and examined...can we just put this one to bed?! :rolleyes:

Cheers, MattSS

gsuds
08-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Mine passed MoT yesterday with both HID conversion and flying colours...

G