PDA

View Full Version : Old Performance Car review...

DamianW
28-01-2007, 10:54 AM
http://www.lotusespritworld.com/ERoadtests/PerformanceCar_Aug97.html

Is that simon's car?

Sadly its written by the same bozos that went on to write for Evo, so don't expect a literary masterpiece. Wrong car wins too ;)

reg
28-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Sadly its written by the same bozos that went on to write for Evo, so don't expect a literary masterpiece. Wrong car wins too ;)

Evo, soft, strong and thoroughly absorbent. Take it the Porsche sponsored mag didn't let Stuttgart down? :rolleyes:

Papalazarou
28-01-2007, 03:14 PM
I thought the criticism levelled at the NSX's steering; low geared and heavy at speed compared to the Porsches faster lighter steering was interesting.

I owned a Boxster for a while and at speed the steering was light to the point of skittish. On some roads I didn't want to take my hands off the wheel to change gear.

I understand that the magazines have certain prerequisites for what they consider important with regard to performance. But in this case, I'm happy to give up a little steering feel if it assures me greater stability at higher speeds and the NSX really shines in that department.

In defence of porsche, I've not driven a 993 and the Boxster did have great steering feel at lower speeds, say below 80.

Cheers,

James.

AR
28-01-2007, 03:26 PM
The NSX is the worlds number one missunderstood car. Even when they test the NSX-R they are not happy.

It follows that the ASSC or ASC or whatever Honda calls it, will receive the same treatment after demolishing the 599 and a few others.

Cheers,

AR

simonprelude
28-01-2007, 03:47 PM
I have the original article somewhere, will look at scanning it in properly when I get a chance.

markc
29-01-2007, 11:29 AM
I owned a 993 immediately previous to my NSX. Indeed I traded the 993 for the NSX.

VERY differant cars to drive but similarly capable of the same everyday use if you want/need.
The 993's steering is one of it's best features, nicely weighted, "feelsome" but without the excessive kickback of unassisted 911's of old.
To compare. At speed down the same piece of bumpy straight road the 993 steering wheel will move around a lot in comparision to the NSX which barely moves at all. The trick with the 993 is to let the wheel move rather than fight it. You sort of guide the wheel not wrestle with it, it is a genuinely satisfying feeling once learned :-)
At the same time the whole car (993) moves around on its suspension much more than the NSX.
These two together combine to make you feel more involved in the 993 BUT you'd probably be going quicker in the NSX.
I guess this is what all the jouros refer to as "character" and why 911's get under your skin, which they do.

I loved my 993 and I love my NSX, wish I could have both. Pic of my old car attached.

Cheers

Mark

Papalazarou
29-01-2007, 12:46 PM
The 993 is a very pretty car. I nearly bought one but rightly or wrongly assumed the running costs would be steep.
With regard to steering feel, from what you said, it appears that the lively feel is specific to the marque in general although in the case of my Boxster the 18" wheels probably didn't help.

Cheers,

James.

DamianW
29-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Old 911s are a great drivers car, thoroughly enjoyed giving one a spanking around Mallory Park a few years ago.

But the shape just doesn't "do it" for me. Part of being a sports car, a good part, is that they should look good. In fact not just good, I should be pulling my underpants over my head without the use of my hands just by looking at one. The NSX just about succeeds there for me, its low, sleek and looks like a sports car should. The 911 looks like a weird hatchback gone wrong.

Just IMO...

markc
29-01-2007, 02:21 PM
James you're right about the running costs, they were a lot higher than the NSX has been so far (touch wood) and that was with nothing major failing, just routine servicing!

Hey Damian that's one hell of trick with the pants, there's not many of us that can do that ;-)

Interesting that in the Prime explanation of the NSX EPS, it says the US only "Zanardi" edition just used a disabled EPS rack. I guess the Type S and S Zero's were the same if you didn't tick the EPS option box?

Personally I like the convienience of low speed "super" assistance and don't really notice the differance at higher speeds compared to manual rack early cars.

Cheers

Mark

NSXGB
29-01-2007, 02:43 PM
don't really notice the differance at higher speeds compared to manual rack early cars.

I think that means your EPS is working correctly then ;) . Your EPS turns off when you get to something like 30-40mph as far as I recall...

Papalazarou
29-01-2007, 03:05 PM
I think that means your EPS is working correctly then ;) . Your EPS turns off when you get to something like 30-40mph as far as I recall...

If you're very unlucky, it turns off permanently!!

Cheers,

James.