PDA

View Full Version : NSX Aircon R12 to R134a

starchaser
19-01-2007, 02:49 PM
hi all,

A few months ago I took my NSX to a local prestige car service centre to have the Aircon recharged as it didn't seem to be as cold as it should be. They did the job and when I picked it up they had changed the gas from R12 to R134a. I didn't give it a second thought as I assumed they knew what they were doing. Now around 3-4 weeks ago the compressor seized and I managed to buy a new one from the US. It arrived today with a big notice telling me I must replace the reciever/dryer. No problem, I started searching the net to find one and I have come across some worrying data regarding changing from R12 to R134a.

It appears that you can't simply change the gas or the compressor will seize. This apparently is because the R12 compressor oil is not compatible with the R134a gas and mixing the two is not a good idea....

So, it would appear that the service centre has been the cause of the compressor failure.
I am talking to them now and have asked for evidence that they changed the oil....but is that enough? I understand that there are other parts that should be changed when making the conversion.....can anyone help out with part No's, also what is the part No of the receiver/dryer? Any help or comments greatly appreciated!

simonprelude
19-01-2007, 03:03 PM
I had this conversation a little while ago, I'll see if I can remember who it was with.

Basically there are a number of seals that should be changed also.