PDA

View Full Version : ABS modulator . . . help!

Minch
15-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Hi Guys,

Anyone know where I can get an ABS modulator from apart from Honda UK? Getting all the lights and noises now. Do you know of any NSX's that might have had a rear end smash and are being broken for parts?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Nathan

Silver Surfer
15-01-2007, 06:35 PM
Try Japparts (google it) or call Karl on 0785050277.

They usually like a request by their web based request form.

SS

cas
15-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Hi

1. Extract any dignostic code.
2. If it works intermittantly try a solenoid flush as explained on DAN's web site. Danoland.com asap.

Minch
16-01-2007, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the tips 'cas' but I think its too late. Let this be a warning to the rest of you guys as this part costs £2,000 from Honda UK. Obviously the previous owners and honda servicing hadn't done enough to stop this happening.

Its been running with a pump running on and off for a while now and when I mentioned it to Chiswick Honda they just shrugged there sholders. I eventually put it in to them when Rob had a look at it and he thought it may be air in the system but also said it might be worth trying something else if it didn't stop. During this time the ALB (ABS) and the TCS warning lights never came on, hence why I didn't think it was a major problem. However since the first attempt to stop the noise didn't work I put it back into Chiswick to have the 'something else' done. This came back after diagnosis with the scary £2k price for a replacement ABS modulator and now I have two lovely orange warning lights on my dash 20 secs after starting the car. However the noise has gone which I assume means its now really dead.

If I can't get an ABS modulator for a sensible price in the next month or so I will have to purchase an "ABS Killer" kit from Mark at Dali until I do find one.

Just thought you guys might want to know this so you don't have to dig as deep as I might have to for something that we think of as a reliable part!

Nathan

Senninha
16-01-2007, 01:45 AM
Nathan,

Dont forget to drop Dirk an email (rather than pm) to see what he has on the shelf.

regards

Paul

cas
16-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Hi Minch

My abs packed up before xmas and I managed to fix it, but, it is tricky. Good news! Dirk has an ABS modulater for a LHD car becuase he offered it to me for 480 euro +30 euro postage! Luckilly I found a RHD ABS modulator and rebuilt mine from the a combination of the two. NOTE of CAUTION ++ DO NOT OPEN UP THE ABS WITHOUT DEPRESSURISING IT WITH THE BLEEDER T WRENCH as the ABS system is under 4000psi !!!! +++ You need the diagnostic codes because it will tell you which part of the ABS modulator has packed up and so what to change. Most parts of the modulator are the same especially the solenoids ( they have the same part numbers on both LHD and RHD units) - so get a print out of the ABS modulator RHD and get a printout of the modulator LHD and you will see which parts are the same. With a bit of luck and a following wind you should be up and running in 3-4 weeks. Good luck!

simonprelude
16-01-2007, 04:29 PM
What part is it that actually packs up ??
If it is the solenoids, surely with a part number these could be sourced from an electronics firm ??

cas
16-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Cheching the solenoids is straight forward. Unhook the four connectors to the solenoids ( there are 4) then for each 3 pin connector check the ressistance between the centre electrode and the other two the ressistance should be about 3 ohms. However, if you are getting pump over run it is most likely becuase there is dirt in the system and the solenoid operated vales can't close properly - in this case do the flush precedure. The solenoids are in special housings and are really repairable if they are burnt out.

Minch
16-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Yes, I wish Honda had told me before!

Minch
16-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Going to phone Japparts first. See if they have any luck sourcing one.

On the note of contacting Dirk. I was informed that the modulator itself was handed. Is this true? If so I take it that Dirk's one is only good for spare parts?

forumadmin
16-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Honda used to supply the solenoids individually. In their 'wisdom' a couple of years they stopped, and now only supply the whole unit.

Will removing the ABS with a 'killer kit' mean the car won't pass an MOT?

Although operation of the ABS is not tested in the MOT, the indicator light coming on, and going off on engine startup is.

cas
17-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Yes it is LHD. Whether you build Dirk's up or yours depends on which one has done the most milage. I suspect probably dirk's but you need to check.

Minch
18-01-2007, 12:21 AM
Cas,

I think Nigel from the states may have just saved my arse! (Hope "arse" is OK Kevin!)

Here's what he PM'd me:

"As I have posted here before, you can get one, new from Ray Laks Acura in New York. Dial 1-888-RAY-LAKS (this is the toll free number I use in the US) on the phone to the US, ask for J.R. I have told him about the prices in the UK and the trouble you ave getting parts. The Pound to the Dollar is 1.96 to 1 today and the modulators cost only about $530 US so thats about 290 or 300 Pound + shiping and tax. New part!! They give a discount just for having an NSX as the parts are so expensive to begin with. They gladly ship to the UK. I have been using them because they are the best around at price and finding parts no others can find. I would have posted this as a new thread but this computer I am using while I am out of town is rubbish and it wouldn't let me do so. I wanted to at least P/M you. I have been trying to get in touch with Dirk for two months and haven't had any luck."

What do you think?

mcibuk
18-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Cas, seems like you could be making a lot of people happy with that post as it seems we need a reliable source of spare parts for the NSX without having to rob a bank to pay for the parts here in UK. I have just had a look at Ray Laks website and sent an e-mail reagrading a rear oxygen sensor that i am trying to get hold of so i'm hoping they can help me out with this. Thanks for the tip.
Peter:)

simonprelude
18-01-2007, 11:45 AM
If the modulator is handed like you say above though, aren't you still going to have problems. Well unless they can order a RHD version ??

Minch
18-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Hi Simon,

Yes thats exactly what I'm trying to find out. Question is, would it really have been worth while for Honda to make two versions? I've passed on the part no. (57110-SL0-J02) to Ray Laks in the USA now. If they have the same part no. then it 'should' be the same. I might even have a peak on NSX Prime to see if I can find the parts catalogue on there. That might give me the answer I need.

Cheers
Nathan

cas
18-01-2007, 01:10 PM
Looking at the parts diagram for the two modulators ( LHD and RHD) they are not interchangeable. The differences are in the guard, harness for the cables and the plastic tank for the fluid.

RHD modulator Part number: 57110-SLO-J03
LHD modulator Part number : 57110-SLO-A03

When I spoke to Mark at DALI before XMAS for a quote on a new modulator he informed after a few days that there was only 1 in the whole of the USA price $1053 and it was LHD. However, it looks to me that converting a LHD to RHD is straight forward so long as you have an old RHD to start with. You will need to find a garage that is prepared to have a go and do the modification most garages only want to replace components and will walk away from this kind of job including Honda. By the way, the 'J' in the part number denotes a variation for the Japanesse market that is RHD variation.

nigel
18-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Steady lad. My lady friend might get a bit upset. A cool pint would much better. To make things easier have your mate carry the part through security so they can take it out and look at it. Usually most of the idiots that do the screening won't understand what the part is but it is better to be able to show it to them so they don't tear your luggage apart trying to figure what it is. Most of them don't even speak english but alot of them do recoginize the word Honda.
The price here varies on the clutch assy, but it's around $1200.00 US. That's around 670 Pounds, give or take at todays exchange rate. J.R will get you the best price.
After reading a response from CAS I went to my reciepts kept for the parts I buy for my 92' and the original owner, bought one for my NSX before I bought it from him, in Illinois where it is from at 19,380 mi and it was $513.00 US in 2001 and it works fine so far as it only has 23,600mi on it now. The lesson here is flush your brake system at least every 2 years. It' not that hard. and far cheeper.
Don't want to speak bad about someone I don't know but Mark or Dali either was not looking at the same part or something. Go with J.R. at RAY LAKS Acura in New York, US, www.Hondacuraworld.com he'll get you the straight poop they say.

Cheers
nigel

nigel
19-01-2007, 05:09 PM
I thought I had posted the fix for the modulator here before but I don't see it. Contact RAY LAKS ACURA in New York, US. www.Hondacuraworld.com 1-888-729-5257 toll free in the US. Ask for J.R. he'll get you a new one for around $550. US. I am not sure if there is a difference between LHD and RHD but as stated here before you can swap the parts from the new one to the UK version and be in top shape and much cash ahead.

Cheers
nigel

al nsx
13-02-2007, 01:30 AM
hi minch my name is alan davis nsx tech with thames honda i have never replaced a abs modulator most of the time they are full of air and req a good bleed out with the abs checker on mode 6 gets the pump working i have stripped out the solenoids as they can stick only prob then is that you have to bleed the brake system make sure you check trouble codes most common handbrake left on or wheel sensor will also bring on tcs light hope this helps (al nsx)

Minch
13-02-2007, 08:26 AM
Hi Alan,

I know its had a full diagnpstic test and the result was bad enough to warrant a new modulator. However these days its always easyier to say 'REPLACE' rather than 'FIX'. If the solenoids are sticking what can be done? Its been making a compressor like noise on and off since I bought it last year. Since its come back from Chiswick there is no noise but I get all the lights i.e. TCS and ABS. I don't think its a simple wheel sensor unfortunately.

If you've got any more info could you contact me:

minchams@hotmail.com

Cheers
Nathan

blue5
13-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Hi Nathan,

Re the lights, have you, yourself, done the basic checks and got the fault codes?

If not give me a call as i have a manual and might be able to advise in some way.

I agree with you its easier to fix the symptom than fix the fault

al nsx
14-02-2007, 01:32 AM
hi minch al nsx do the lights come on soon after moving off which comes on first abs then tcs fault codes range from 4-1 to 4-8 after bridging out blue two pin diag plug n/s footwell with ing on if you have any of these codes faulty wheel sensor or pulser abs light will flash the code tcs may flash as well

Minch
14-02-2007, 08:26 AM
Yes, the ABS lights come on after about 10 secs or so closely followed by the TCS. Please note that the modulator was making a compressor like noise quite often but intermittently prior to it going to Chiswick to get looked at. The lights never used to come on when this noise used to happen. Since coming back from Chiwick the noise has gone but the lights have appeared. When the TCS light comes on it seems to loose power, only a little, but it doesn't accelerate that well.

blue5
14-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Nathan,

Mine did that as well. If is a programmed feature that reduces power if there is an abs or tcs (one of the two) problem.

My fault was a wheel sensor and it was simple to diagnose and fix (see my previous postings)

Hopefully thats all it is but you never know, but the starting point is to ascertain what the fault codes are.