PDA

View Full Version : Tuning potential

AJI
22-08-2004, 08:13 AM
How easy is it to tune an NSX ?

What sort of power upgrade options do you guys usuallt go for to get big BHP increase for as little money ?

I've seen a video of an NSX in the USA which has been supercharged and was producing something like 500bhp ?? Is this the only real way to get this sort of power from the honda powerplant?

I know there is the NOS route but that isn't realy full time application.

With our Supras they are 330bhp standard and with a de-cat, bleed valve and fuel cut defense we are looking at 400+bhp. With an NSX which is 300bhp standard (is that right?) ...... do you have to spend big bucks to get a similar bhp output?

UltraViolet
22-08-2004, 11:25 PM
It will always be easier to get big bhp from a turbo powered car. However IMO that isn't what the NSX is about. If you seriously want to tune (with not a lot of dosh) to 500bhp etc. then TBH you are prob. going to get more satifaction from the Supra.

The NSX can of course have it's power increased, and other elements of the car enhanced, however it is neither a cheap process, nor is it going to give you huge bar-room statistics.

The driving experience is something else (and I speak as someone who has some experience of a Supra, which had more modifications than you mention) but quoting stats will never explain it. The two cars you compare are very very different. That isn't to say that either is better than the other, just that they satisfy in very different ways.

Welshman
23-08-2004, 07:30 AM
How easy is it to tune an NSX ?

What sort of power upgrade options do you guys usuallt go for to get big BHP increase for as little money ?

With our Supras they are 330bhp standard and with a de-cat, bleed valve and fuel cut defense we are looking at 400+bhp. With an NSX which is 300bhp standard (is that right?) ...... do you have to spend big bucks to get a similar bhp output?

I suggest you check out the Dali Racing and Science of Speed websites - they both have lots of info on bolt ons if you want more bee haitch pee but as Ultraviolet says enhancing the power isn't necessarily what the NSX is all about.

As for standard power the 3.2 is quoted by Honda at 280PS at 7,300rpm but many think that it is nearer 300. The 280PS is the voluntary self imposed "limit" that the Japanese auto manufacturers are said to adhere to. Whatever the real output a 3.2 NSX has what Rolls Royce would have described as "adequate" power for the real world.

AJI
29-08-2004, 06:28 PM
I have driven an NSX and I must say that it was a nice drive. The car gives you good confidence when entering corners as the front end seemd to be very balanced even when there were bumps in the road.

My initial post was not intended to compare the Supra against the NSX as I know already that they are very different cars.
I was purely interested in the tunability of the NSX's powerplant and which routes you guys usually take to get your BHP increases. As we all know once you get used to the power of your car you always tend to want a bit more.
It looks like you guys have to spend big cash to get big BHP.

Do you know if any members on here have taken the superchaged route?

Kevin
29-08-2004, 08:13 PM
You have to know that the 'kits' out there in the States are not the same as the Japanese made kits for other cars. These kits are made and sold in very small numbers and require lots of tuning. The Comptech is the closest to being a off the shelf system, but it is still not without problems.

I have also been told that the kits are not the best thing for the track. They can give a good burst of speed on the road for short periods of time, but with sustained high track speeds, they can have problems.

It depends on what you do with your car. If you want a high power car for the road, maybe a forced induction NSX is OK, but then I would probably go for an EVO or something else. If you want a high speed track car, leave the NSX NA, and change the suspension, brakes and reduce weight. You don't need to do much more than that.

I like the look of the Science of Speed NA tuning options. Sending the engine to the States won't be simple though. There's sure to be engine tuners here that can do the same work.