PDA

View Full Version : JDM rear lights - Fog light?

Senninha
08-01-2007, 11:50 PM
This is probably aimed at MarkC and AR as you both have JDM spec NSX, but would appreciate anyhelp/guidance please.

The JDM rear light cluster doesn't have a rear fog light, instead offering two reversing lights.

Q: Do you run without a fog or have you managed to convert the offside reverse light to a fog that is road legal, therefore preventing the need to hang a rear fog off the lower bumper?

Thanx in advance

Paul

markc
09-01-2007, 12:10 AM
The latter.

On mine one of the reversing lights has indeed been wired up as a rear fog. It was done before the I got bought the car.
The switch is located in one of the blank switch panels on the centre console behind the gear lever. The one next to the aerial lowerer(?) in fact.

JDM cars don't come with either front or rear fog lights nor a headlamp level adjuster so 3 of the 4 switches are usually blanked off.

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
09-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Thanx Mark,

A further q if I may? As the lens is white, is your NSX equipped with a red bulb or has the lens been tinted in some way?

regards

Paul

AR
09-01-2007, 12:38 AM
Mine was done by replacing the bulbs in the side lights with double filaments so as to use the bright one as the fog.

Wired the same way as Mark's car.

I recently bought a foglight switch from dirk as I intend to used one from a car to make it look oem. I was able to replace the bright yellow one the car had with a black one that has a built in LED for when the light is on.

Cheers,

AR

markc
09-01-2007, 11:00 AM
It's definately got a red bulb but I'm not sure what they did with the lens?

The RHS reversing lens is a little darker than the LHS (pic attached) one but I don't know how it's been done.

I guess I should really put in an OEM switch but the one fitted looks OK. I have an LED for the aftermarket alarm in one of the other blanks and therefore one that is still blanked off.

Cheers

Mark

britlude
09-01-2007, 05:33 PM
i've wired my inner most brake lights via a relay, so i can switch them on independantly as fog lights, bit still keep the full compliment of brake lights

(prior to me they were wired as just fogs and side lights, with no brake function)

britlude
09-01-2007, 05:36 PM
It's definately got a red bulb but I'm not sure what they did with the lens?

isn't it just the effect of having a darker bulb in the lamp unit?

AR
09-01-2007, 05:41 PM
I guess I should really put in an OEM switch but the one fitted looks OK.

Cheers

Mark

I got the one as I said Mark, but is one of them jobs that would take more hassle to do than the actual benefit.

Cheers,

AR

Senninha
10-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Thanx for all the help.

Lankstarr
10-01-2007, 10:47 AM
I can understand a JDM rear bumper to get rid of the sagginess but JDM rear lights as well?? What are you up to Paul!?

AR
10-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Me thinks GT-Rom tail lights.

Cheers,

AR

Senninha
10-01-2007, 11:17 AM
I can understand a JDM rear bumper to get rid of the sagginess but JDM rear lights as well?? What are you up to Paul!?
Me Sir? About 5'7" ;)

Me thinks GT-Rom tail lights

Tutt Tutt Ary, you know I only do OEM where possible for any upgrade/refresh to the NSX

regards

Paul

AR
10-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Tutt Tutt Ary, you know I only do OEM where possible for any upgrade/refresh to the NSX

regards

Paul

Yes Paul, but they are LED. What a dilema! :)

Cheers,

AR

markc
10-01-2007, 11:39 AM
I don't understand the fuss about LED tail lights they look "spotty" and nasty to me.

Now I would do the MY 2002 tail lights and lower bumper. I think it updates the rear end nicely. Could be the path Paul's going down?

Mark

AR
10-01-2007, 11:44 AM
I don't understand the fuss about LED tail lights they look "spotty" and nasty to me.

Now I would do the MY 2002 tail lights and lower bumper. I think it updates the rear end nicely. Could be the path Paul's going down?

Mark

Mark I agree most aftermarket LED set up are not up to scratch, however GT-Rom releases great products and if I had the spare cash I would give them a try. Their LED tailights are 02+.

Cheers,

AR

Senninha
10-01-2007, 12:07 PM
I don't understand the fuss about LED tail lights they look "spotty" and nasty to me.Mark

They seem popular over on Prime, but not my cup of tea. I'm with you on this Mark.

regards

Paul

AR
10-01-2007, 12:15 PM
So what's the plan Paul? Are you getting a JDM car???

Cheers,

AR