PDA

View Full Version : UK numbers... 5000?!

DamianW
07-01-2007, 08:55 PM
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/news.php?sid=346=1
"Honda has sold around 5000 NSX models in the UK since its launch in 1990, and the car only went off sale last year. The US was the car's biggest market."

Is that right? I thought it was more like 500. If that.

AR
07-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Must be a typo mate, 500 or there abouts with the imports included.

Simon holds a database and he should have a more defenite number.

Cheers,

AR

Papalazarou
08-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Markc and I have both posted in order to correct the mistake.

Cheers,

James.

Nick Graves
08-01-2007, 12:52 PM
It's 'Car'.

aka 'Viz'.

It used to be worth reading.

DamianW
08-01-2007, 01:15 PM
It's 'Car'.

aka 'Viz'.

It used to be worth reading.

Have to disagree with that. Since the relaunch a few months ago Car is transformed, I read it cover-to-cover every time I get it now.

reg
08-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Have to disagree with that. Since the relaunch a few months ago Car is transformed, I read it cover-to-cover every time I get it now.

Hmmm. Might had to browse it at Tesco's, stopped buying EVO lately as;

1. I don't rate a couple of the journo's
2. It has been a bit weak on technical stuff
3. Most articles seem rushed?

DamianW
08-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Hmmm. Might had to browse it at Tesco's, stopped buying EVO lately as;

1. I don't rate a couple of the journo's
2. It has been a bit weak on technical stuff
3. Most articles seem rushed?

Well I've been buying Car since the 80s (and I have every Car going back to 1987 or something, I must try ebaying them sometime). Prior to the relaunch I thought it was dire, and I was all set to cancel my subscription, but post relaunch its right back up there.

I agree on Evo, I'm not a fan at all. I read the 1000th issue and it just seemed to be an advert for how badly they drive on public roads.

simonprelude
08-01-2007, 02:53 PM
I have freebie Car and Evo subscriptions, I can honestly say neither get read, so if anyone is after any recent issues then let me know.

It will cost you postage or collection.

AR
08-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Anyone into any other hobie will also realize how bad the magazines can be at times.. When I used to be into bodybuilding there some many rubbish articles in the magazines, that it was hardly worth reading them. Same goes for most martial arts magazines.

Why should cars be different.

I mostly buy them when I am bored on the road.

Cheers,

AR

Sagacitas
08-01-2007, 04:36 PM
One difference (or at least it should be a big difference) between car and other hobby magazines is that cars are constanlty changing.

Take golf magazines as an example. After 1 years subscription (and sometimes before then year is up) you will start to notice that the topics are repeating themselves. Not quite reusing the same words but definetly giving the same advice. Body building and martial arts magazines seem to be the same.

But with cars there are always new cars to review and comment on. That should add an automatic level of freshness to the magazines. Ephasis on 'should'. :)

Somewhat related topic - if I gave up buying magazine how much sooner would I have the dosh for an NSX? :)

Richard

Nick Graves
08-01-2007, 04:44 PM
I picked up a copy of Car after the relaunch; it was improved, but still not a patch on the heyday of the '70s & '80s.

Sadly, most of the great contributors are now dead; the only one who's any good is Gerog Kacher, & he's Austrian.

TBH, I think that the cars have changed so much, it's difficult to write anything interesting about them & the journos don't have the time to delve into their technical felicitations in the way that LJK Setright could. If they had his linguistic and engineering skills, that is!

kowalski
08-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Have always bought Car magazine, but was getting a bit fed up with it lately. Since the relaunch though it has been a lot better and will continue to get it. I agree about Setright, he was the reason I started buying the mag in the first place, his intro to The NSX Super Sports Car book is a great bit of writing. Sad to hear of his death last year, there will never be another like him. (I think he invented the word "Supercar" as well during his road testing of the miura?)

leigh

Nick Graves
08-01-2007, 08:54 PM
I didn't realise that; it sounds very plausible.

markc
08-01-2007, 10:12 PM
A little bit harsh chaps...

I grew up on "CAR", "Cars and Car Conversions" and later "Performance Car".

I found Setright's style hard work even though he was unquestionably a very clever man, probably too clever for me. Russell Bulgin was the man for me. His articles could have been written for me in person. He is very sadly missed in motoring journalism. If you ever find a copy of his biography it's well worth investing in.

I still like "evo" a lot and buy it obsessively. I don't do subsrcriptions 'cos Postie always seems to bend my copies and I like keep then all. (I know how sad I am!). I rate most of the journos fairly highly and while the overall quality and has dipped over the last 18mths or so they still put out some excellent articles. To be honest since the "evo" title was acquired by Dennis Publishing in 2002 it's steadily been watered down and forced to go after the mass market ie that of CAR and TOP GEAR but IMHO it's still the best out there.

I also quite like "Octane" on occassion. I must be getting old as I find classic and historic cars more and more interesting, possibly as modern ones become more and more similar!

Mark

AR
09-01-2007, 07:41 PM
I too find that some of the classic and mechanical geared mags have the best articles. Also a lot of the mainstream car mags are so biased towards certain companies at times that they might as well give the mag away as advertisement.

Cheers,

AR

Lankstarr
09-01-2007, 08:00 PM
I also quite like "Octane" on occassion.

Is that a mag or do you take it in your tea? :lol:

simonprelude
10-01-2007, 12:52 AM
It is a mag, that sometimes has some good articles, however you may well be better putting it in your tea :D

Is that a mag or do you take it in your tea? :lol:

Nick Graves
10-01-2007, 07:41 PM
A little bit harsh chaps...

I grew up on "CAR", "Cars and Car Conversions" and later "Performance Car".

I found Setright's style hard work even though he was unquestionably a very clever man, probably too clever for me. Russell Bulgin was the man for me. His articles could have been written for me in person. He is very sadly missed in motoring journalism. If you ever find a copy of his biography it's well worth investing in.

I still like "evo" a lot and buy it obsessively. I don't do subsrcriptions 'cos Postie always seems to bend my copies and I like keep then all. (I know how sad I am!). I rate most of the journos fairly highly and while the overall quality and has dipped over the last 18mths or so they still put out some excellent articles. To be honest since the "evo" title was acquired by Dennis Publishing in 2002 it's steadily been watered down and forced to go after the mass market ie that of CAR and TOP GEAR but IMHO it's still the best out there.

I also quite like "Octane" on occassion. I must be getting old as I find classic and historic cars more and more interesting, possibly as modern ones become more and more similar!

Mark

I learned more from LJKS than those silly school hours moving from once classroom to the next & back again.

Never got Evo.

Never found Octane - will keep an eye out.

I agree with AR - the classic magazines tend to be much more erudite and don't simply precis press releases, which the majority now do.

I too find classic cars more interesting than I now find modern cars. I do worry about this 'good old days' stuff being a sign of ageing. LJKS predicted that cars would probably be considered peak in the '90s, before being wrecked by the PC lobby.

My favourite Hondas seem fit that pattern, if you allow the S2000 too! I think it's that, rather than a nostalgia trip. Mind you, nostalgia ain't what it used to be!

gsuds
10-01-2007, 10:52 PM
I still get CAR, probably now purely out of habit, agree with above sentiments about English lit. education via LJKS/Fraser/Bishop/Llewellyn/Bulgin... Redesign good but there's little of the clever underdog about it any more. evo does have a little of the maverick spirit but speed is not everything - witness their genuine surprise that the Panda 4x4 could provide more driving enjoyment at the track than many hot hatches (current issue).

The classic press is usually pretty enjoyable - Octane has something of the late, lamented Supercar Classics about it, C&SC probably has the best balance, and Martin Buckley is that rare muttering rotter these days - someone whose style is instantly recognisable without having to check the credits. Practical Classics is agreeably blokey, and allows my fantasy that I could, potentially, work on my own cars without never-ending disaster (everything to do with the DS...). I do see the NSX primarily as a classic, one that's reliable enough to be the daily transport, and given that lottery win I'd be filling a barn full of old cars - not Premiership metal!!

Anyway, I'll stop wittering and get some kip....with a look at C&SC first...